Home Away From Home

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Home Away From Home

Post by Hppants »

Home Away from Home
September 8, 2022

Well, today is our last day here. North Georgia has been everything I hoped it would be. It has been a wonderful summer playground. A proper stupendous celebration of my retirement.

Every single day has been an adventure. My wife and I have played together, played with others, and played by ourselves. We’ve been here 50 days and it was gone in the blink of an eye.

There was a time not too long ago when we thought we might live here in our retirement. Circumstances have prevented that, so for now, it will just have to be our home away from home.

Tomorrow, we roll on to other places. But I’ve still got today, so I’ll take it. I hope you enjoy the pics.

I’ve explored quite a bit of the Cohutta Wilderness Area just north of our cabin. On this day, I went east and wandered around the Blue Ridge Wildlife Mgmt Area. Midmorning, the fog is still burning off a bit.

The DR650 has been so much fun this summer as my expedition horse.

It is so peaceful in these woods. These forest service roads seem to go on forever.

I popped out on Aska Road and stopped to check out this bridge over the Taccoa River.

The secondary paved feeder roads connecting one patch of forest to the other are very picturesque.

I can’t be lost if I don’t know where I am going.

I wonder if the people who live here know how beautiful their home is? I’m sure they do.

I get to the base of Springer Mountain, and start climbing. The gravel is perfect: graded and packed with just enough ruts, holes, and rocks to make it fun. I stopped at this nameless overlook, which was really just a break in the trees near the top.

I drank some water and ate my horse food snack. As I starred out into the paradise that laid before me, my senses were doing a number on me. The breeze was quiet there, and I could hear the song birds singing. The haze was light there and my sinuses clear, I could smell the mountain cleanly. The fog was lifted and I could see the topography.

Perhaps most noteworthy, a feeling of peace and tranquility came upon me. The rigors and stresses of everyday life have eluded me over the past 2 months. Retirement suits me well, and I was content to just sit there and be happy.

I got back on the DR and continued through the forest.

About noon, I come upon Rock Creek Lake and it looked like a great place for lunch.

Good ole PB&J.

After lunch, I rode further up Rock Creek Road and tried a few two-track trails that spurred off the main F/S road. My rear tire slipped on a rock and I dropped the bike once. No harm, no foul.

The size of this place is enormous. In 100 miles, I’ve only touched the surface.

I found this neat place on Rock Creek near the hatchery, so I stopped to drink some water, and to listen to the water.

I found Hwy 60, turned north, and ripped the twisties a little before turning on Doubleheadgap Road.

This road put me close to the cabin, ending a perfect day and a perfect epic summer adventure. I got back to the cabin with plenty of time to pack and load up everything for the departure in the morning.

We look forward to returning to our Home Away from Home next year.

Stay thirsty, my friends…..
fontanaman, Toter, CraigRegs and 11 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Re: Home Away From Home

Post by escapefjrtist »

Excellent!

~G
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

The swamps aren't so bad to live in if you can get out for a few months in the summer.

This actually looks like a good deal for you Pants. You still have lots of roots in LA. So this gives you the best of both worlds.

Plus, bike trips are going to be easier now.
Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

It's worked out a LOT better than I envisioned. I didn't long or want for anything while we were up there. We got back home and 2 days later, the weather broke and it's been enjoyable here since. Down here, between October and May, its pretty good.

Plus, we can try different places every summer. For now, I like it.
gixxerjasen, LKLD, and wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption