They are ALL Happy Hours!

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

They are ALL Happy Hours!

Post by Hppants »

They are ALL happy hours!
August, 2022

As soon as I retired about 7 weeks ago, my wife and I got an ABB in north Georgia. I brought plenty of the toys: the kayaks, the mountain bicycle, my hiking shoes, and the Dual Sport. Every day has been a blessing. Each morning after coffee, I go to the patio, pick a toy, and off I go.

It’s better than I could have dreamed. I hope you like the pics.

On this day, I chose the Dual Sport. I packed a simple lunch and some water. From the cabin, it’s about 15 miles to the Chattahoochee/Ocoee National Forest, a nice mix of gravel and twisty pavement. At the entrance to the forest, the pavement ends and I start climbing. About 5 miles in, I stopped at the first overlook. I like the way the “smoke” is settled in between the mountains.

Good visibility today.

I move on, continuing to climb. The road is fairly packed and I’ve got plenty of grip. Whenever I feel like a break, I stop. “I could go east or I could go west. It was all up to me to decide”.

Here, I chose north. Good choice if you ask me.

This is Murray’s Lake, near the Tennessee State line.

I’m all by myself. The solitude of this place is indescribable.

The water is crystal clear. I’m seeing plenty of small bluegill and I was wishing I brought my ultralight fishing rod.

My horse seems content to just wait.

I get back on the gravel and double back a bit south toward another road I’m eyeing.

I stopped somewhere to drink some water and heard motorcycles coming. Two young men stopped to say hello and make sure I was OK. I’m learning that this is a common thing off the pavement with motorcyclists. Everyone stops to make sure you are OK. It’s very reassuring.

They told me they were running the Trans America Trail (TAT) from end to end. I guess I didn’t realize it, but the road I was riding was indeed the TAT. Neat.

We talked for a bit and since I was going the same direction they were, I decided to follow them a bit. I told them not to wait for me. Good thing – in about 75 yards, they were gone.

You can’t get to these views from the highway.

I turn west on FS630 and I’m enjoying the ride very much. My Garmin XT is very accurate, showing all of the roads and trails available to me. Every once in a while, I try a side road just to see where it goes. For the most part, those were dead ends, but it didn’t matter. It’s all good for me.

I found this primitive campground (Hickory Gap) just in time for lunch.

The water in that creek was too inviting to pass up.

Nothing like mountain water to cool off your feet.

Then it was back on FS630 heading west.

I popped out of the forest near the community of Crandall, GA. Took a peek at the GPS and headed south. I found this dirt road that runs through a milo farm. It was so much fun just putt putting along here.

I stopped and talked to the farmer, who was having a snack. He was a nice man. I told him his land was beautiful. He thanked me and said that sometimes he takes it for granted. I guess we all do at times.

Fine with me!

I popped back into the forest on another forest service road that parallels Holly Creek.

I ran this for about 5 miles and stopped at this inviting looking place.

I found this flat rock and took a nap listening to the white noise of the water.

I woke up rested and got back on the bike. I wound up back where I started this morning, completing a 75-ish mile loop.

Since I got here 7 weeks ago, I’ve noticed these draft horses in a field not far from the forest entry. Today, they are eating close to the road and I had to stop and admire them. These are beautiful animals.

What fun I am having today and every day!

On the way back to the cabin, I crossed this small creek.

That was the last picture I took. Shortly thereafter, I got to the cabin with plenty of time to put everything away before happy hour.

Come to think of it, they are ALL happy hours now!

Stay thirsty, my friends.
Cav47, gixxerjasen, Niehart and 11 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Re: They are ALL Happy Hours!

Post by bigjohnsd »

You are doing it right 'Pants!
Cav47 loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

Very nice RR Pants! It sure seems like you’re doing retirement right.
Cav47 loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

Excellent fotos..retirement is tough eh..
Cav47 loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Most excellent!
Cav47 loved this
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

I'm so happy for you Joey. Enjoy every minute of it and thanks for sharing the pics of your exploration. :)
Cav47 loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250 L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

Joey, you been in my neck of the woods all this time. Can't believe we haven't met up. I haven't been on the FJRiders forum regularly lately. How much longer are you around? What you're doing is right up the GS's alley. I also have the DRZ 400S for more challenging stuff, but don't usually travel too far on it. How long you still here?
FJRPittsburgh, Cav47, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

We check out September 7. I've got a couple of opportunities to ride the DR this week. Let's do it!
wheatonFJR and bigjohnsd loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

bigjohnsd wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:38 pm You are doing it right 'Pants!
+1 Gunny!
Hppants and bigjohnsd loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Ppants, it makes me glad to see you savoring the time with your favorite things to do. I know you mentioned a family history... but I wish you a long life of savoring ahead for you and your wife.
Cav47 and Hppants loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Pants
You are doing what I did the first few months of retirement. Well, after we got moved.

I would get up and decide if I want to ride the bike,MC or kayak.

Since we moved up here. No kayaking or bicycle. I have to do more research. Really haven't found A great place to use them.

Now I ride, visit with my Grandson.

Also doing lots of projects since this looks like it's going to be our forever home. Projects are way more fun when you are not doing them on the weekends when you are off work.

It will be one year for me next week.
Still glad I did it.

Glad you are enjoying it.
FJRPittsburgh, bungie4, Cav47 and 2 others loved this