Sort of non-motorcycle trip to Peru

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Sort of non-motorcycle trip to Peru

Post by gixxerjasen »

Warning - Severe ATTGATT violations!!!

I just got back home from doing some volunteer work in Iquitos Peru. The whole experience was very rewarding, but while there I also got to enjoy a whole different kind of motorcycle culture down there though, even though I was without my bike. No play motorcycles here, this is a primary mode of transportation and way of life.

Leaving from the airport, everyone was piling into what they refer to as "Motorcar's" to get to the hotel.

They needed two volunteers to ride pillion on actual motorcycles so I sucked up my manhood and jumped at the opportunity. This guy gave me my first motorcycle ride in Peru.

Almost no one has a car. Nearly every bike down there is around the sub 150cc variety. There apparently are traffic rules, but no one knows what they are. There are no lanes, stop lights are suggestions and riding around a bus into the oncoming lane is normal. Gaps to pull out into traffic are hard to find so you just pull right out a lot of the time, even making left hand turns. It's not unusual for someone to just stop in the middle of the road, especially motorcars as they throw their chains a lot. I also saw plenty of the stereotypical women riding pillion with a baby on their knee and families riding with their kids stuffed between them.

The best rider I rode with was this woman. She was smooth, situationally aware and very competent. I had zero problems riding pillion with her. You'll also notice she's one of the very few who wear any kind of helmet down there.

What a restaurant parking lot looks like.

Just some other random shots of various motorcycles down there.

Honda Navi

Some fairly nice bikes.

This Suzuki DR looks how every DR should look. Thoroughly used, abused, and still kicking.

And lastly, where exactly would you buy a motorcycle from down there? Sure there's plenty of motorcycle shops, but also places like this where you can buy a new phone, TV, washing machine and a motorcycle.

BkerChuck, BikerGeek, Bust and 11 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Re: Sort of non-motorcycle trip to Peru

Post by LKLD »

That kind of road environment scares the sh** out of me, and I don’t wear Depends. Reminds me of vlogs about Indian metro areas and that hot mess of traffic.

Still, looks like you enjoyed it, and was able to survive. 👍👍
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

It's about as scary as riding in Dallas, only completely different. :D
BikerGeek, FJRPittsburgh, and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I don't even ride in Greenville. I have enough problems with just me and the pavement, without all the other interlopers.
Bust and FJRPittsburgh loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

NOTGNOTT!
CraigRegs and gixxerjasen loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

LKLD wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:24 pm That kind of road environment scares the sh** out of me, and I don’t wear Depends.
By the end of my time there, I was almost getting used to it. Several folks were offering to let me ride their bikes. But then I didn't need someone scaring the sh** out of me because sh** was literally running out of me all on it's own. Ugh. One of those "Don't drink the water" things, which I didn't but still ended up with the same results.
My Blog

LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:24 pm
LKLD wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:24 pm That kind of road environment scares the sh** out of me, and I don’t wear Depends.
By the end of my time there, I was almost getting used to it. Several folks were offering to let me ride their bikes. But then I didn't need someone scaring the sh** out of me because sh** was literally running out of me all on it's own. Ugh. One of those "Don't drink the water" things, which I didn't but still ended up with the same results.
I’m guessing the food then. Just shows how sensitive our digestive system can be. :(
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

I’ve been to Lima a bunch and agree with your observations of Peru motorcycle culture. However, I’m not crazy enough to be on 2 or 3 wheels down there, I’m quite content to be driven in something enclosed with 4 wheels. What amazes me most are the multi-lane intersections. Lots of traffic moving from every direction and they all seem to make it work out with little input from signs or traffic lights. I have even more respect for you now, sir.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:56 pm Warning - Severe ATTGATT violations!!!

The best rider I rode with was this woman. She was smooth, situationally aware and very competent. I had zero problems riding pillion with her. You'll also notice she's one of the very few who wear any kind of helmet down there.

I want to buy that man right there a beer and be put on a list of people he considers a friend.

I feel a midnight call for lawyers, guns and money would not go unanswered.

He would even smile while doing it. :lol:
BkerChuck, Bugnatr, Bust and 6 others loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I found the m/c culture in Europe to be fascinating. Compared to the US, the bikes were definitely smaller - perhaps the median size was 250-400 cc. The bikes there are almost all equipped to be used as primary transportation - wind/rain protection, storage, etc.

From your pics, it would appear that a higher percentage of the bikes are dual sports in Peru?

That is the quintessential DR picture. The ole Bush Pig cannot be bothered with lip gloss. There's too much 'rootin to do!
Cav47 loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Dan, our paths are bound to cross one of these days.

Pants, I'd say that yes, dual sports were pretty popular, probably due to the road conditions. However there were probably close to an equal number of scooters. Very few sportbikes and I can't recall any cruiser style bikes really.

We were in a hurry but when I saw that DR I had to get a photo of it. Definitely my favorite of the trip.
My Blog

FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Thanks for sharing the pics of your trip. Very interesting for sure.
gixxerjasen loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250 L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

gixxerjasen wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:24 pm
What shitty luck you have.

And cool pictures - thanks for sharing (and not sharing pictures detailing your predicament).
Bugnatr and gixxerjasen loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face