Stop in & tell us who you are, where you are from, etc.
Dale_I
Squid
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300 AE

Post by Dale_I »

I don't follow this forum a lot, but registered during attendance at CFR2022. I'm coming from an ST1100 and was (and am) pretty active in the ST forums. Been riding for 40 years and just love it.

Hoping to meet more of you in Nakusp, BC, in a couple weeks... Dale
Bounce and CollingsBob loved this
2008 FJR1300 AE
IBR #79256 / STOC #5341
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Re: New Member

Post by escapefjrtist »

Welcome from metro Seattle! See you in Nakusp.

~G
Dale_I loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Welcome, Dale. Make yourself at home!

Rob
Flatistan
Dale_I loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

Welcome, from the north coast of Ohio
Dale_I loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Hello and welcome - looking forward to hearing about CFR '22 - we won't be able to make it that far west this year...

Wayne
Dale_I loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Old Grizz
Squid
FJRModel: 2012

Post by Old Grizz »

Good Day All, Old Fart Here
As a bit of an intro.
I am 70 years old, been riding since 1970 back in the dark ages..
My current ride is a 2012 FJR.
It has a few things added.
Windshield extension
Two Bros Exhaust
Power Commander
Electronic Cruise Control
SW Motec Rack
Denali Phone Charger
Grip Puppies
Handlebar riser
I love the bike, my only complaint is that she is a proper bitch to get on the centre stand

Ride Safe All

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Hppants, FastPappy, CollingsBob and 2 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Welcome!

They fixed that center stand on the 13s.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Dale_I wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:16 pm I don't follow this forum a lot, but registered during attendance at CFR2022. I'm coming from an ST1100 and was (and am) pretty active in the ST forums. Been riding for 40 years and just love it.

Hoping to meet more of you in Nakusp, BC, in a couple weeks... Dale
Another one of the old ST gang..... welcome. See ya in Nakusp.....
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Old Grizz wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:16 pmGood Day All, Old Fart Here
I love the bike, my only complaint is that she is a proper bitch to get on the centre stand
Ride Safe All
Old Grizz,

Without changing anything on the bike: Set the bike on the sidestand. Search under the seat on the sidestand side of the bike to find the frame handhold. Use your dominant foot to press the center-stand pedal down until the center-stand touches the ground. It helps to have an assistant on the other side of the bike, at first, for the next step. Bring the bike upright until both feet of the center-stand are on the ground. (When you get comfortable with this step, an assistant will not be needed.) Press down with your full weight on the center-stand pedal, as you pull up and rearward with the hand on the handhold. You are not lifting the bike, you are trying to put distance between the foot pedal and the handhold. It takes practice, so keep the assistant handy at first.

You can also reduce the effort needed for the center-stand by rolling the rear wheel up on a shallow ramp, holding it there with the front brake, and then doing the center-stand trick. The ramp can be as long as you need, just so it fits between the front and rear wheels. A ramp of two inches (50mm) high should be enough help. As you gain experience in handling the bike, you can use a thinner ramp, and maybe none at all, later.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Welcome from Pittsburgh, PA. Hope to meet you soon Dale!
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250 L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Old Grizz
Squid
FJRModel: 2012

Post by Old Grizz »

Red wrote:
Old Grizz wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:16 pmGood Day All, Old Fart Here
Ride Safe All
Old Grizz,

Without changing anything on the bike: Set the bike on the sidestand. Search under the seat on the sidestand side of the bike to find the frame handhold. Use your dominant foot to press the center-stand pedal down until the center-stand touches the ground. It helps to have an assistant on the other side of the bike, at first, for the next step. Bring the bike upright until both feet of the center-stand are on the ground. (When you get comfortable with this step, an assistant will not be needed.) Press down with your full weight on the center-stand pedal, as you pull up and rearward with the hand on the handhold. You are not lifting the bike, you are trying to put distance between the foot pedal and the handhold. It takes practice, so keep the assistant handy at first.

You can also reduce the effort needed for the center-stand by rolling the rear wheel up on a shallow ramp, holding it there with the front brake, and then doing the center-stand trick. The ramp can be as long as you need, just so it fits between the front and rear wheels. A ramp of two inches (50mm) high should be enough help. As you gain experience in handling the bike, you can use a thinner ramp, and maybe none at all, later.
Yep I know the tricks.
I have been riding since 1970 and many different bikes.
The FJR is the worst one I have ever had when it comes to getting it on the centre stand.
I am not a small guy, I am 6ft 5 and 275 lbs.
It doesn't help that I have had 1 knee replacment and both shoulders replaced complete with rotator cuff rebuilds.
I appreciate the tips, I might have to try the little ramp for the rear wheel though.
Kind of hard to take with me on my 10000 km trip in Aug.
I have been told that the newer model FJR is easier to get on the centre stand.
I have a friend with 2021 and I guess I will have to ask him if I can give his a try.
My dealer has a 2022 on order, hmmmmm
Many improvements over my 2012.
If it's a lot easier my bank account may just take a hit.
Ride Safe
Ride Long

Picture of mine Image

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

mi_pjk, Cav47, and CollingsBob loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Anyone know if a Gen III+ centerstand fits a Gen II and if it makes it much easier to use? I am OK with it but it does seem to be more difficult than necessary. I would anticipate major difficulty if I injured my left foot or had an issue with right arm/shoulder/hand.

It is almost impossible with a lowered bike (or with a flat rear tire) unless you use a ramp.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I haven't measured the stands....... I would also say the better spring in the Gen3 rear shock will help with that.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

I know the technique and it's not too bad for me to lift my '08 onto the centrestand, however, I do ride the rear wheel onto a small piece of 1/2" plywood in the garage, and that makes it considerably easier. At 68 I still have all my original body parts, (minus the blown brains cells of my mispent youth) so I guess that helps.

Welcome Old Grizz and Dale!
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:21 pm I haven't measured the stands....... I would also say the better spring in the Gen3 rear shock will help with that.
Could be the shock/spring but I thought there was a physical difference in the stand as well. Either the leg length or possible a difference in geometry. Someone will have to try a Gen III stand on a Gen II for fit and function and report back...
wheatonFJR loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

I think I recall seeing an extension for the stand that essentially acted as a lever and helped you get a bike up easier. It's been a couple years since I've seen it and I don't know if it was for an FJR, but it might prove to be something possible. Anyone else seen that thing before? Seems like it wasn't much more than a ratchet wrench or box end wrench that you just pop on when you are ready to put it on the centerstand. It gave you a much larger area to step on with increased leverage. When done, just slip it off and put it away.

It's been a while. Anyone remember seeing that?
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Festus wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:19 amI think I recall seeing an extension for the stand that essentially acted as a lever and helped you get a bike up easier. It's been a couple years since I've seen it and I don't know if it was for an FJR, but it might prove to be something possible. Anyone else seen that thing before? Seems like it wasn't much more than a ratchet wrench or box end wrench that you just pop on when you are ready to put it on the centerstand. It gave you a much larger area to step on with increased leverage. When done, just slip it off and put it away.
It's been a while. Anyone remember seeing that?
Festus,

I remember. Not sure about using tools, though. Seems like the right diameter and length of iron pipe would do the trick nicely, there.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

A little late to this but welcome. I have a 2012 as well and it got a lot easier to put on the center stand when I put on a new shock. The OEM shock was a bit more tired than I realized.
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Hey guys don't know how i missed this but welcome from the Big Apple. :D
Pappy 09AE
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS