Finally found the correct forum.

Stop in & tell us who you are, where you are from, etc.
StreamRider
I see dead batteries
Squid
FJRModel: 2003 FJR 1300R

Finally found the correct forum.

Post by StreamRider »

I have been using the other FJR forum for a while now and was invited to a Tech Day by the man himself, Ray, and thought it was for that other forum. Much to my astonishment it was to a forum I was not even part of yet. So I signed up and am here now! I posted the following copy/paste to give my take on what happened at the tech day and reach out to thank the people involved but obviously it fell on the wrong ears so I will post it here in hopes some of you at least get a kick out of it and even more hopefully the people I am referencing get a chance to see it.

Jun 5, 2022 (Edited)

Today at about 4:30am I sauntered out of my door with arms full of everything I needed (Read: Not everything. I made the obvious 2 trips back inside and back out to the bike to grab the things I almost forgot) to make the 350+- mile journey to Eden New York to go to my first "Tech Day". I was about to meet a handful of people I had only briefly spoken with on the forum and had a nice "long" ride to make all the assumptions and let all of the expectations mill around in my freeway floating imagination.

I assumed I would have the "shitbox" of the group, which I did. But I also assumed there would be some jokes and comments not meant to hurt or inflame but the usual kind of ribbing you would find at any bike meet up. I assumed my bike would not have any interest taken in it and the work that was set out to be done would be more of a chore to the people included then of any excitement to any of those in attendance. I assumed that my "battle scars" and nuances of my ride would be silently judged and so with it myself and my character. All of this I assumed not because of any inkling I got from any of the personalities I have been in contact with online but purely out of my own experiences and quite possibility my own self bike-esteem.

I could not have been more wrong.

What I did roll into was a driveway with beautiful mechanical beasts all with their own character and attitude. They all had the dust of the highway and the carcasses of insects too slow to dodge these perfections of engineering. Steeds that carried their pilot and pillion to vast far away places in comfort and ease and proudly wearing all of their own battle scars to prove they had been there, made the trip home and like a good horse, sit quietly with eyes on their master awaiting the next time they get to go for a run. Every bike was like mine, all newer then mine but all smelled of the musk of miles the same as mine.

What I did roll into was not just "bikers" but an absolutely wonderful and welcoming group of people that had all fallen in the same love. Respectful, kind, non-judgmental and enthusiastic people that understood why the FJR is "it". Every one that I met was open and interested in getting a look and another persons vehicular companion. Before I could even get my gear off, my bike was being stripped naked and splayed out by four of the most capable veterinary hands these steeds could be in the care of. Usually when people touch your bike you are put off, uneasy and feel violated. I knew immediately, even before introductions, exactly who the two men that were about to perform surgery were and I had full confidence. I practically had to strip my protection and make it known I was there to help in any way that I could, but these two had the OR in full control. The amount of knowledge in that one garage held by not only the two surgeons but all heads combined was immense. I hit my mental record button and tried to take in as much as I could and save as many files as possible because this was going to be an experience worth learning from.

I was fully surprised that every person there was interested in my bike, her age and "patina" was part of the thrill and personality. It wasn't the brunt of a joke or three but the point of interest. These people cared about the work that was going on and the success. I felt they had the same care as if they just brought the bike home themselves. Everybody willing to lend a hand and put their two cents in and talk about the subtle changes and differences and even the harsh realities of owning a bike well over the legal age. This was a point of conversation, many of them, and to my surprise none of which felt in any way like a jab or poking fun. Complete and utter settling astonishment, and I figured it out. It wasn't about the condition or age at all, it was about making sure this race horse could keep on racing and every person there wholeheartedly cared about that goal and wanted a long life out of not just mine or theirs but every one that wears the badge. I am impressed.

I was slightly later then I has planned on making it there, for one I am sadly not as good at the longer jumps of miles as I once had gotten and need to stretch a little more often. Secondly I am really piss poor about mornings after Covid life and 10+ years of bartending I just don't rise to the occasion as fast I I did in my 30's. Thirdly I had no idea what I was going to be getting into so I wanted to stop before showing up so I could get some sustenance for when I get there. I am not the type of person to show up and not have my own rations, I just feel like that is rude. So I back tracked after getting off the last exit to grab some decent hydration, a Red Bull before the ride back, a bite to eat later and a few beers to offer up because that is just polite and my Mom made sure you always bring a wine to a dinner party. So all-in-all I was 20 mins later then what I planned on hitting.

Instead I show up to a packed cooler, with more offerings then the group of us could ever finish, both alcoholic and sustenance. We were lovingly presented with a homecooked local favorite of Beef on Weck that would put any of Albany's Irish Pub's best to complete shame, handmade fruit salad and a family sitting down opening their home and dining table to a group of stinking-like-gasoline, grease and bug covered pavement junkies and offering them seconds. Then later on lets just offer up some homemade buffalo dip to share because "why not?", lets pile the hospitality on even more. To say that I am impressed with the effort, kindness and generosity would not begin to scratch the surface. Thank you.

I had originally spoke about getting my valves checked and adjusted and the throttle bodies synced as I knew there was something off and who better to have look into it then the wizards I had been learning from on this forum. Well, turns out the valves were close to perfect but the effort was not in vain. And believe me when I say that there was a whole heap of effort involved. We cleaned the years of water-and-road "plaque" and "tartar" from her powerful heart and by the time the throttle body sync (way off) was done I literally had a new bike. I showed up with what I though was an amazing bike but what I left on was a whole different breed of rocket. While I will get into that later in the thread I am not writing this while I decompress from the miles and the day to explain the work so I won't get into that tonight but lets just say if you have seen any of my other posts about the maintenance done (or not done) on this philly it was a lot of the same. A lot. What I am writing this for is to express the care, attention to detail and just plain resolve demonstrated in working on this little mess of mine. "A rollercoaster of emotions" was had while we came across grit, grime, seize, and trouble to which the likes of %99.9 stood zero chance to stop these two absolute scholars of the FJR. For that I am greatly in the two of your debt. Bill's and Ray's knowledge and handling of tools is "impressive" to say the infinitesimally least. I learned an invaluable amount from both of you today and for that I cannot thank you enough.

All in all if you have not been to one of these I HIGHLY recommend going even if you do not plan on putting a wrench on your bike. Just the attitude and the character of the people that you will meet, the work and bikes you will see, and the conversations and jokes thrown around is humbling and an absolute joy to be around. Never would I have ever imagine a down-and-back trip on I90 would have been so rewarding.

To everyone involved,
I am truly impressed and I thank you all dearly.

So I am rocking a 2003 60k absolute piss missile of a bike and have turned it into something of a oddity with a lot more to come. Interested parties feel free to ask and I will be sure to spend some time here as well as the other site. Thanks!
Steel_Gin, natehawk750, BkerChuck and 9 others loved this
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Re: Finally found the correct forum.

Post by Cav47 »

Yes you have!
FJRPittsburgh, StreamRider, and wheatonFJR loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Bust
Veteran
FJRModel: 68' Schwinn Stingray

Post by Bust »

Awesome first post here man.
Yeah there are a few good eggs in this group.
FJRPittsburgh, StreamRider, and wheatonFJR loved this
You ever see a grown man naked Billy?
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

I don't usually read the introductions. I've said, "Welcome" to a few people that just turned out to be bad news. So, I usually wait a bit to see how things play out. Being a hair bored and expecting that Bust said something horrific to you morbid curiosity got the best of me. I'm glad it did!

That is the best introductory post I have ever seen. As soon as you said something about your bike being old, I thought, "this guy has an '03 and doesn't know how cool the masses think those bikes are. Haha!

I've been on these forums since December of '07, and the people I have met, talked to, helped, gotten help from, ridden with, etc have always amazed me. There are great people on both forums.

I'm glad you're here. Sounds like you're off to a great start and are gonna have a blast! That's what it's all about!
Bust, Hppants, Boston and 3 others loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

HotRodZilla wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:30 am I don't usually read the introductions. I've said, "Welcome" to a few people that just turned out to be bad news. So, I usually wait a bit to see how things play out. Being a hair bored and expecting that Bust said something horrific to you morbid curiosity got the best of me. I'm glad it did!

That is the best introductory post I have ever seen. As soon as you said something about your bike being old, I thought, "this guy has an '03 and doesn't know how cool the masses think those bikes are. Haha!

I've been on these forums since December of '07, and the people I have met, talked to, helped, gotten help from, ridden with, etc have always amazed me. There are great people on both forums.

I'm glad you're here. Sounds like you're off to a great start and are gonna have a blast! That's what it's all about!
I agree, good intro!
As 'Zilla mentions, there are good people on "both" forums. I frequent three different FJR forums. A lot of the same faces appear in each but these forums all have a different flavor and different history. I especially like this one for the attitudes and more friendly moderation. FJRforum probably has better overall technical history and FJROwners seems to have a better international presence. Good information in all three!
Bounce, StreamRider, FJRPittsburgh and 2 others loved this
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

An intro indeed!

I enjoyed your descriptive take on your tech day experience, and can relate in many ways. There are many fine people here, and I’m certain you will be able to make yourself at home quickly.

Welcome to the forum.

Rob
(From Flatistan)
StreamRider, FJRPittsburgh, and wheatonFJR loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Abercrombie FJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by Abercrombie FJR »

Welcome steamrider. I've never been able to make a techday since I'm in a part of the country with an lack of FJRs but I've been to many FJR get togethers and ridden and hoisted a cold one with most of the best of them over the last dozen years. There is no doubt there is a great group of people in the FJR community.
Steel_Gin, wheatonFJR, StreamRider and 1 others loved this
Have you done anything to improve your rider skills or knowledge lately?

2014 FJR, 2013 Super Tenere, 2019 Ducati Hypermotard 950SP, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, 2006 Ducati 999, 2018 Beta 500 RR-S, 2016 Scorpa 300, 2020 Yamaha WR250R.
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Welcome home Asa! It was a pleasure meeting you at Mike and Laura's tech day. Ray and Billy took good care of you. I'm glad you finally found your way to the cool kids forum. You're certainly one of the cool kids. Welcome aboard!
wheatonFJR and StreamRider loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250 L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
StreamRider
I see dead batteries
Squid
FJRModel: 2003 FJR 1300R

Post by StreamRider »

FJRPittsburgh wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:39 pm Welcome home Asa! It was a pleasure meeting you at Mike and Laura's tech day. Ray and Billy took good care of you. I'm glad you finally found your way to the cool kids forum. You're certainly one of the cool kids. Welcome aboard!
I was over there on FJRO wondering what was up. Barely anyone even responded to the post and I was like "Jeeze I hope at least one of them gets to see it" then I remembered the short convo we had right before I was leaving and it got through my thick skull. "Oh they are on this one not the other, duh."
Steel_Gin, Bust, FJRPittsburgh and 1 others loved this
Boston
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300 2001 Roadstar

Post by Boston »

If that doesn't make you want to go to a Tech Day nothing will. Nice write up. I enjoyed reading it.
Welcome to the forum.
Bust, HotRodZilla, FJRPittsburgh and 1 others loved this
IBA# 76760
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Yeah what they said. Lol. :lol:
Pappy 09AE
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

FJRoss wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:00 am
HotRodZilla wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:30 am I don't usually read the introductions. I've said, "Welcome" to a few people that just turned out to be bad news. So, I usually wait a bit to see how things play out. Being a hair bored and expecting that Bust said something horrific to you morbid curiosity got the best of me. I'm glad it did!

I agree, good intro!
As 'Zilla mentions, there are good people on "both" forums. I frequent three different FJR forums. A lot of the same faces appear in each but these forums all have a different flavor and different history. I especially like this one for the attitudes and more friendly moderation. FJRforum probably has better overall technical history and FJROwners seems to have a better international presence. Good information in all three!
And, with FJRForum now under new ownership, those who haven't visited in a while might want to revisit.
StreamRider loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Your experience is familiar. You are now one of us. We are family, joined sometimes at the keyboard, others at the pavement. When you hurt, we hurt. When you need, you need only ask.

And when we ride, we ride!

Cheers and welcome!
Steel_Gin, FJRPittsburgh, and BkerChuck loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Welcome aboard!

I only see one issue with that awesome first post you made. You have now set yourself a very high bar for future ride reports! I think after reading just how much you enjoyed that tech day you'd better clear your schedule and make it to EOM in September. This IS a great group of people and the willingness to help one another is unlike any thing else I've ever been associated with in my life. I've had parts given to me at no charge shipped in from other parts of the country and not even being asked to pay the shipping. I've shipped parts to other members in the same way.

I look forward to meeting you and seeing your thoroughbred.
Last edited by BkerChuck on Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I agree. You have the right place.

This man below sent me a nice gift certificate to a rib joint after I had a little boo-boo and broke a few, and some other things.

After you attend a local ride or a regional gathering you will soon see if this place is for you. It sounds like from your post…that you appreciate some of the fine points already. I mean, if you really think Ray is awesome, things are looking up for you! ;-)
BkerChuck wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:45 pm Welcome aboard!

I only see one issue with that awesome first post you made. You have now wet yourself a very high bar for future ride reports! I think after reading just how much you enjoyed that tech day you'd better clear your schedule and make it to EOM in September. This IS a great group of people and the willingness to help one another is unlike any thing else I've ever been associated with in my life. I've had parts given to me at no charge shipped in from other parts of the country and not even being asked to pay the shipping. I've shipped parts to other members in the same way.

I look forward to meeting you and seeing your thoroughbred.
HotRodZilla and Bust loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Bust
Veteran
FJRModel: 68' Schwinn Stingray

Post by Bust »

HotRodZilla wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:30 am Being a hair bored and expecting that Bust said something horrific to you morbid curiosity got the best of me. I'm glad it did!
Box of cox and a sack of dicks are on the way to you ya Armadillo fuking beaner! Eat and enjoy!
chazglenn3, Steel_Gin, Hppants and 3 others loved this
You ever see a grown man naked Billy?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

I only see one issue with that awesome first post you made. You have now wet yourself a very high bar for future ride reports!
StreamRider, you have DEFINITELY found yourself the right/write place.
HotRodZilla and BkerChuck loved this
Burnspot
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015ES, 2020 Super Tenere

Post by Burnspot »

Welcome aboard! This is a good group of folks here, though you have to watch out for that Wheaton fella. ;)
Steel_Gin, Hppants, Bounce and 4 others loved this
Scott
https://burnspot.smugmug.com/
RIP Petey, Jason, and Don...JSNS
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:04 pm

I only see one issue with that awesome first post you made. You have now wet yourself a very high bar for future ride reports!
Thanks Captain Grammar! I ride better than I type okay
FJRPittsburgh, Bounce, and HotRodZilla loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

BkerChuck wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:19 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:04 pm

Thanks Captain Grammar! I ride better than I type okay
Ohhh, I think your grammar was perfect. :D
BkerChuck loved this