A Whole New Backyard

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

A Whole New Backyard

Post by Hppants »

It’s no secret. Pants has ants in his pants. I do, I freely admit it. My biggest fear is that one day, I will wake up and have nothing to do. I’m getting ready to retire, and that means I’ll have more time. But it also means I’ll need to have more things to fill up my time. So, I did something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.

I bought a dual sport.

I picked up a gently used 2020 Suzuki DR650. I researched D/S motorcycles and the DR650 is a very reliable bike with a strong following. I have a couple buddies that own this bike, and they helped me decide that this one is the right one for me.

I’m not interested in crossing roaring rivers, climbing shear vertical cliffs, or qualifying for the Dakar Rally. Rather, I just want to ride some gravel and easy 2-track roads, and eventually, do some back country camping.

So I bought a rear rack for the bike, and threw an old Givi 31L top box I had lying around on it. I bought a Garmin XT GPS and mounted it on the handlebars. I went online and found some gravel roads not too far from my house. And then I woke up and decided – “Let’s go see what’s over there”.

I discovered that there’s a whole new backyard to play in.

I hope you like the pics.

This morning was different. As a long time street rider, suffice it to say that I’ve seen everything around here. Or so I thought. Although there is always some excitement that comes with the anticipation of any ride, usually for me a local motorcycle ride is like the movie Shawshank Redemption: It’s a good movie worth watching, but I’ve seen it quite a few times before. I know that he escapes successfully.

But not today. For this ride, I’m going off the beaten path. On this day, for the first time in a while, I woke up excited with anticipation.

I packed some walking shoes and a lunch and took off after the morning rush hour traffic subsided. I skirted the city riding leisurely on the back roads.

Anywhere I found a gravel road, I would take it just to see where it goes. Turns out this was just someone’s abandoned driveway, but I stopped to take a picture of the Azalea bushes formally declaring that Spring is here.

And then it happened. I hadn’t given this moment much thought before, but I must admit, when I got to where the pavement ended, my fingers started tingling with excitement. Prior to then, for some 200,000 miles, this was the point where I usually turned around. No matter how inviting things looked ahead, I could or should go no further.

But not now. Today, nothing is going to keep me from moving forward.

I got a new GPS for the occasion. A self-prescribed “Tom Tom” man, this time I relented and bought the Garmin. I was having some issues with it and stopped to go through the “Settings” menus. As I scrolled through the map settings, I came upon “Avoid Unpaved Roads”.

Not today, Mr. Garmin.

Now let me be clear. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing with an off-road motorcycle. I’ve got a perfect day for it: great visibility, dry roads, comfortable temperature. So I’m taking my time and practicing techniques.

Whenever I find a road or a trail that I think I can ride, I take it.

I found some mud on this trail and decided to turn around and not risk a fall.

There’s a whole new world to discover where the pavement ends. My whole life, I’ve lived within 30 miles of this, and never knew it existed.

Found a crawfish pond. I suspect they are harvesting right now, but I didn’t see anyone.

The color in these fields is delightful.

This is bayou Portage, near it’s beginning. Here, it’s much smaller and narrower than where I’m used to seeing it.

What a day!

I get to Hwy 190 and turn east. I go about 1 mile and turn right at the first brown sign I see. These gents are dip netting for shad, which are used for crawfish bait.

I had a nice time talking to them.

This is a spillway set up by the Army Corps of Engineers, which dumps water from Bayou Cortableau to Bayou Portage. I’ve never seen water “falling” like this in south Louisiana.

I ate my lunch here and enjoyed listening to the white noise of the water.

After lunch I ran on the gravel back north to Hwy 190 and turned east again. I found a gravel track that led me to this cool place at the Atchafalaya River. I waited a little while to see if a train would come, but it didn’t happen.

Realizing that I have to get to the other side of the swamp, I relented back to the highway and road that about 6-8 miles. The DR 650 handles highway speeds just fine.

On the east side of the swamp, I turned into the Serburne Wildlife Management Area. About 4 miles south on the gravel road, I saw a simple sign that said “Nature Trail”, so I turned onto another gravel road and found the trail. I decided to take a walk.

Everything is green here.

It was a nice walk through the woods.

I got back on the bike and using my GPS, tried all of the gravel roads in the area.

The front tire was feeling a little loose at times, and I learned that I will need more aggressive off road tires going forward. None the less, I was enjoying it a lot and just slowed down a bit. For the most part, I ran about 30 mph in 3rd gear, just putt putting around.

The other thing I’m learning is that dual sporting is a very solitary experience. I hardly saw anyone all day.

I stopped at the river here to drink some water and be thankful for my blessings. A gentleman working on a camp next door came upon me and asked if I was OK. I told him I was never better, and then asked him if I was trespassing on his land. He told me I was but invited me to stay as long as I liked.

I told him that he has some beautiful property.

That was the last picture I took. I reached the interstate and rode it West for about 6 miles to get past the swamp. Again, the DR performed very well. I rode the paved back roads back to my house. After letting it cool off a bit, I washed the DR and put it away.

Sometimes we can’t see the forest for the trees. I learned that all we have to do is look harder. Having the right tool to explore with doesn’t hurt. I enjoyed wandering about my new backyard, and I look forward to many more adventures to come.

Stay thirsty, my friends…..
Niehart, Bugnatr, BikerGeek and 13 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

spklbuk
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2012 Super Tenere

Re: A Whole New Backyard

Post by spklbuk »

I’m getting ready to retire, and that means I’ll have more time.
🤣😂🤣

⏳
FJRPittsburgh, Hppants, raYzerman and 4 others loved this
Montani Semper Liberi

Dog hair is a fashion statement and a condiment.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

A "New" disciple is born...,...
Hppants loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Tears. …… “so proud”.

Lol.
Bugnatr, bigjohnsd, FJRPittsburgh and 2 others loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

You should start a YouTube channel....let's see.....

Itchy Pants! Boom. Done. You're welcome!
Bugnatr, bigjohnsd, FJRPittsburgh and 5 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Nicely done 'pants, thanks for taking us along!

~G
bigjohnsd and Hppants loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Hppants wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:51 pm My biggest fear is that one day, I will wake up and have nothing to do.
Fear this instead. You will wake up one day and realize the time you have to to the things you love is diminished by age. I kindly suggest getting out there and doing all the thing you love while you can. I am told your sixties are your go go years, seventies or your so so years and eighties are your no no years. And being retired there is no shame in taking a day to relax.

Welcome to dual sport riding. I feel fortunate to live where I can ride to fantastic locations within two hours home not overrun by the masses.

Great ride report and thanks for sharing.
Niehart, bigjohnsd, CraigRegs and 4 others loved this
Abercrombie FJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by Abercrombie FJR »

One of my worst regrets in life is waiting till I was 52 before buying my first dual sport. My second worst regret is living in Eastern ND where there is not many interesting places to ride dual sport.

My wife retired a couple months ago and I was looking to move to more a interesting riding area but we have a new first grand child and grandma is not moving any further away.

About those tires; When I seen the first pictures of your DR on gravel, the thought quickly went through my head that those tires looked scary on gravel. The OEM tires on my first Dual Sport XR650L were quickly tossed after a crash and a few squirrelly butt clenching episodes on the gravel.
First thing about dual sports is that there is no perfect tire for everything. They are always a compromise between too aggressive for the street or too mild for the dirt and gravel. I prefer to have more grip in the gravel and dirt so I switched my XR650L and DRZ400 to Dunlop 606 but they are reported to not be the best on the street. The Beta 500 RR-S runs on Motoz Tractionator Enduro I/T. So far they have been an amazing tire but may be more aggressive than you may want or need.
Last edited by Abercrombie FJR on Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugnatr, bigjohnsd, Hppants and 1 others loved this
Have you done anything to improve your rider skills or knowledge lately?

2014 FJR, 2013 Super Tenere, 2019 Ducati Hypermotard 950SP, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, 2006 Ducati 999, 2018 Beta 500 RR-S, 2016 Scorpa 300, 2020 Yamaha WR250R.
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

Festus wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:56 pm You should start a YouTube channel....let's see.....

Itchy Pants! Boom. Done. You're welcome!
How about Itchy crotch? :lol:
Bugnatr, Hppants, and Festus loved this
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Abercrombie FJR wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:24 pm
About those tires; When I seen the first pictures of your DR on gravel, the thought quickly went through my head that those tires looked scary on gravel.
Exactly my thought as well. Please get some 50/50 tires and please do it soon. As Mr. Rogers said "We like you just the way you are."
bigjohnsd and Hppants loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Yeah - on the way home, I was thinking "these tires got to go!". LOL

I ordered some tires yesterday. 3rd world problem.
fontanaman loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

Hppants wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:26 pm Yeah - on the way home, I was thinking "these tires got to go!". LOL

What did you go with?
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

blind squirrel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:31 pm
Hppants wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:26 pm Yeah - on the way home, I was thinking "these tires got to go!". LOL

What did you go with?
I got the IRC TR8 for the front, and the Shinko 244 for the rear. The front tire is definitely more aggressive, and should hold me steady on the gravel. I'm a little concerned about traction from the rear, but it's much more aggressive than what I've got now. Figured I'd go with cheapie tires first set and see what I like/don't like.

I should also state for the record that I didn't come up with that tire combination on my own. Quite frankly, I know just enough now to be VERY dangerous. Spklbuk has been helping me a TON with all things DR, and Josh and others are chipping in on dual sporting in general.

I'm winging it as best I can. Rule #1: don't die. There are no other rules. We'll see....
spklbuk, Cav47, and N4HHE loved this

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Let me cover a few things here.

First there's this...
Hppants wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:51 pm But not now. Today, nothing is going to keep me from moving forward.

It won't be long before you are riding harder stuff on the DR and you come back upon this on the FJR and you say to yourself "That's not hard" and you ride the FJR down that road.

Second, again for this road, and for everyone saying "Pants, I can't believe you are doing all that on those terrible tires." I happen to know for an absolute fact that Pants, and many others here, have ridden their FJR's UP the driveway to Turk's place, which is much more difficult than most of what is pictured here. If you can do that on an FJR, this ain't no big thing, but better tires will make it more enjoyable. :D

Good stuff, enjoy exploring your new backyard.
Niehart, Cav47, bigjohnsd and 1 others loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Hppants wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:33 pm

What did you go with?
Rule #1: don't die. There are no other rules. We'll see....
Rule #2: See #1.

For me rule 3 is where ever possible ride to the right and expect on coming traffic in your lane. This means going slow cause the idiot coming toward you will be going fast.

Carry on.
Cav47 loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I've ridden the FJR on hard packed gravel. I don't particularly care for clamping a death grip with my butt cheeks, but hey... ya do whatcha gotta do.

The stuff I found on this ride wasn't hard at all. The front wheel was wiggling a bit on the looser stuff, but I was standing in the "attack position", gripping the tank with my knees, etc. I'm trying to learn everything I can and practice these techniques on the easy stuff. Develop muscle memory, etc.

But to the bigger picture, I'm not planning on pushing my limit much, here.
Cav47 and gixxerjasen loved this

CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 15ES

Post by CraigRegs »

gixxerjasen wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:17 pm Let me cover a few things here.

First there's this...
Hppants wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:51 pm But not now. Today, nothing is going to keep me from moving forward.

I happen to know for an absolute fact that Pants, and many others here, have ridden their FJR's UP the driveway to Turk's place, which is much more difficult than most of what is pictured here.
And most of us have ridden down successfully as well.
bigjohnsd loved this
Craig
----------------
...the Pursuit of Happiness
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

CraigRegs wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:23 pm
gixxerjasen wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:17 pm Let me cover a few things here.

First there's this...

I happen to know for an absolute fact that Pants, and many others here, have ridden their FJR's UP the driveway to Turk's place, which is much more difficult than most of what is pictured here.
And most of us have ridden down successfully as well.
Wait, most? :D
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Hppants wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:18 pm I've ridden the FJR on hard packed gravel. I don't particularly care for clamping a death grip with my butt cheeks, but hey... ya do whatcha gotta do.

The stuff I found on this ride wasn't hard at all. The front wheel was wiggling a bit on the looser stuff, but I was standing in the "attack position", gripping the tank with my knees, etc. I'm trying to learn everything I can and practice these techniques on the easy stuff. Develop muscle memory, etc.

But to the bigger picture, I'm not planning on pushing my limit much, here.
We did not get any pictures on our West Virginia trip of the goat path that we rode the FJRs on. Don't let that drift out of your mind. That crap was large, loose, off camber, both up and down. The pavement parts were so broken up and cracked that dirt would have been better. Maybe you have blocked that out of your mind already as a traumatic event. You know there is therapy for that. It's called riding more of it to conquer your fears.
Hppants and spklbuk loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

spklbuk
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2012 Super Tenere

Post by spklbuk »

Hppants wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:33 pm

What did you go with?
I got the IRC TR8 for the front, and the Shinko 244 for the rear. The front tire is definitely more aggressive, and should hold me steady on the gravel. I'm a little concerned about traction from the rear, but it's much more aggressive than what I've got now. Figured I'd go with cheapie tires first set and see what I like/don't like.
You will be surprised... pleasantly...at what that rear 244 will do. A 606 it's not, but its pretty good. Fear not on 95% of the surfaces you are likely to encounter. The other 5%...rear tires ain't likely to be determinate.
Hppants and Cav47 loved this
Montani Semper Liberi

Dog hair is a fashion statement and a condiment.