Audiovox CC Fail

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Audiovox CC Fail

Post by dcarver »

..quit working on KrZy8 after years of use.

Replaced pad switch with NOS.
Checked ground, SAT.
Vacuum tank has integrity, no leaks.
Vacuum port has vacuum (inlet port).
Replaced main unit with NOS.

Voltages are:

10 pin connector
BLACK - ground. 0.1 ohms measured
RED - 12VDC always --> Key on, 11.6, 12.3 battery
BROWN - +12 ignition on, CC On --> 12.1, 12.3 battery
PURPLE - +12 brakes on. 10.1, battery 12.1 brakes on. Brakes off .18 VDC
GREEN - +12 Set/Coast pressed. 0 VDC off. 12.2 pressed, batt 12.4. 0 VDC released.
YELLOW - +12 Resume/Acc pressed. 12.1, batt 12.3 pressed. 0 VDC released.
BLUE - ACV increase with engine RPM, red diagnostic LED blinks faster. --> Red light illuminates at cranking rpm, no start condition. (Pulse signal from coil)
GREY - Vehicle Speed Sensor - not used

Any ideas guys?
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Re: Audiovox CC Fail

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Ruling out simple stuff, what are your DIP switch settings?
TimDog!
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

A couple quick thoughts...

Does the pad light up when you turn the CC on? You've had it long enough - you know the lights on the pad I'm talking aboot.

Have you checked your rear brake? My AVCC would not engage - yamafitter de-gunked my rear brake pedal at Tech Day a while back and then the AVCC would engage.
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I went through 3 of them before the last one shit the bed.

I finally fixed it for good buy purchasing a gen 3
dcarver loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Dcarver,

Don't know that CC, but if it cuts off by pulling the clutch or hitting the brakes, see if those switches are working correctly. Even on the OEMs, a sticky pedal or bad switch can prevent the CC from operating.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:02 pm Ruling out simple stuff, what are your DIP switch settings?
1,4,7 On. All others Off.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

BikerGeek wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:51 am A couple quick thoughts...

Does the pad light up when you turn the CC on? You've had it long enough - you know the lights on the pad I'm talking aboot.

Have you checked your rear brake? My AVCC would not engage - yamafitter de-gunked my rear brake pedal at Tech Day a while back and then the AVCC would engage.
Thanks BG! Either front or rear brake activation sends +12 VDC up the Blue wire to cancel CC engagement. Mine measures 0.13 VDC with no brakes on. 10.8 VDC with either front or rear brake activated.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

Red wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:05 pm Dcarver,

Don't know that CC, but if it cuts off by pulling the clutch or hitting the brakes, see if those switches are working correctly. Even on the OEMs, a sticky pedal or bad switch can prevent the CC from operating.
Hi Red,

The clutch disconnect is actually a fast pulse count from the coil detected by the AudioVox CC. The brake switches send 12 VDC up the blue wire to activate the dump servo.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

2022-02-17 More Cruise Control Work

Installed NOS control switch. Red B+ wired jumpered to Gray (Parking) wire so backlight LED's are on and the center LED illuminates when Power switch is activated.

Installed new control unit and servo, NOS, as a 'unit'.

Installed NOS wiring harnesses and connectors. Ran ground directly back to Blue Seas fuse block

Took voltage measurements, all looks good

Called AudioVox support (1-800-645-4994 option 4) to clarify Green wire position 8, 'Closed Circuit Test'. My voltage readings were backwards on this test... 0 VDC unpressed, 12.2 VDC pressed. Turns out AudioVox used two separate switch systems, the 'open' switch us motobikers use and a 'closed' switch used on some autos. The 'Closed Circuit Test' isn't applicable for our use.

Left the Blue wire, tach pulse from coil, available for testing later. To test, look at the diagnostic LED on the PCB. The cover has to be off to see it. I could not test and look at LED as the servo sits ahead of the water pipe manifold. Meaning I had to install the servo wire cover, place it where it needs to be, then install water pipe manifold and gas tank.

But, if it still doesn't work, I can access the Blue wire with ACV voltmeter. ACV should rise with RPM. I did crank the engine with tank off, and the LED did illuminate, but seemed like it stayed on and I didn't want spin the starter motor longer than needed.

Tested the vaccuum check valve, it appears to be SAT.

NOTE - after starting the bike, I later removed the vacuum line and it 'hissed' at me indicating it had a good vaccuum 'trapped'?

Read on another forum some guys had problems with 1 of the 3 vaccuum servo motors sticking. A little light oil, like 3n1, cleared the issue for them.

Tomorrow will button everything up for a test hit on Saturday.

I wonder if the CC can be engaged and tested on the centerstand?
Auburn loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

dcarver wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:29 am Read on another forum some guys had problems with 1 of the 3 vaccuum servo motors sticking. A little light oil, like 3n1, cleared the issue for them.
In ancient times I installed a vacuum servo CC on my new 1978 Dodge (Mitsubishi) Challenger. It quit working a year or so later. Seemed to be wired OK. Ohmed the solenoids on the vacuum servo and decided one had failed in the open position. Think there were two, one to release, one to pull the throttle cable. Somewhere I found a suitable solenoid vacuum switch that I spliced inline with the vacuum line. Served until 1986 when I replaced the car with a VW Golf.

If your problems persist I believe I have a complete Audiovox CC removed from a motorcycle over 20 years ago. Untouched since. Don't know who installed it. Don't know who removed it. Parts-is-parts.
Bust
Veteran
FJRModel: 68' Schwinn Stingray

Post by Bust »

If I recall correctly we did test Timmy's on the centersatnd Don. Seems like it worked.
You ever see a grown man naked Billy?
DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Bust wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:27 am If I recall correctly we did test Timmy's on the centersatnd Don. Seems like it worked.
Pretty sure it didn't work on the centerstand. I had to keep going out on test runs and it was a pain in the ass to go back to the servo because we installed it under the tank.
Bust loved this
TimDog!
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Guessing traction control doesn't like the rear wheel spinning with front not. Don't know what years (without CC) to which that would apply. Put my 2016 in gear and spun the rear wheel on centerstand in attempt to wake and test TPMS. Spun the wheel alright but for some reason the TPMS did not wake. All I got for it was a CEL that required an OBD scan tool to clear.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

I'm going pull the RHS cowling to access the coil tap point for the blue wire... then measure resistance on the blue wire suppressor... compare it to a new one still in the box. maybe the tach signal is weak? Drawing at straws now, for sure.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Blast from the past, from, i believe, ionbeam.

You've checked the trigger signal from the brake for voltage, but that is only half the equation. How much voltage does the cc require to trigger? If it triggers at 2v and you have 3v in the brake light circuit at idle without the brake applied its never going to set.

This was the exact problem i had with one of my units. This happened midlife while in service. No explaination as to why.

Putting a relay in the circuit to isolate solved the issue.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Don't know if this will help, but get the basics down of a good reliable source of signal... Switched power from the tail light wire or auxiliary fuse panel, brake light tie-in near the airbox, ensure the one-way valve to vaccum is not faulty, ensure you can draw vacuum and hold it (no leaky reservoir, hoses or servo diaphram. Tach signal taken right from the ECU, not the coils... IIRCC, gray or orange wire, either one works, but eliminate any variables involving the coils. And of course, a solid ground and dip switches set correctly. Check out that .pdf you got from FJRJayke not a bad idea.

Mine only ever failed from a corroded control pad, which was easily cleaned up and re-waterproofed.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

Thanks Ray!

All VDC at 4 and 10 pin are correct, with possible exception of 0.2 VDC on Purple <brake signal>. Going to disconnect Purple and test.

Tach signal from coil appears to be SAT

This video is VAC tach signal varying w engine RPM, frequency

This is VAC w/ engine RPM

Not sure what they should be but will measure 'suppressor' resistance between installed unit and NOS.

Bought a new MightyVac and will test vacuum 'circuit'.

I did check, both rear brake light, incandescents, are SAT. Will remove the LED brake activated license plate from circuit just to troubleshoot.

?? Should the 1 way vacuum valve be with arrow pointing away from vacuum source (inlet port spigot?)
SLK50
FJRModel: 2006

Post by SLK50 »

“Will remove the LED brake activated license plate from circuit just to troubleshoot.”

I think this may be your problem: residual voltage
from from the LEDs backfeeding into the brake
circuit, causing the CC to see + voltage.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran

Post by dcarver »

SLK50 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:24 pm “Will remove the LED brake activated license plate from circuit just to troubleshoot.”

I think this may be your problem: residual voltage
from from the LEDs backfeeding into the brake
circuit, causing the CC to see + voltage.
I hope it's that simple. I know things change with time and all, but the aux led brake light had been 'in circuit' for years and the CC worked. Still, something to try.

... the lift is currently occupied by a DL650, countershaft seal replacement. But soon!

~d
DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

You could disconnect the purple wire from the brake light and connect it straight to ground, that'll tell you if that's the issue and if a relay would need to be installed. Obviously if it were to engage, you would have to turn it off at the pad.
TimDog!