the year of 2021

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012

the year of 2021

Post by FJRfarrier »

2021. Where did the year go?

Here’s where 2020 went… wrapping up 2020

The year of 2021 started out with a new book for work.

And working.

January 3rd, and I decide to jump on the Social Hour group chat. Fun time to see and hang out with these people virtually.

Nearer the end of the month, and I get to trim this mini horse! IN the house! Right there in the kitchen!

Another group chat on the 24th of January.

Must have been a slow work week, because I ended up painting a scene in my bathroom…

And then the family and I went sledding that weekend!

All good, he was smiling at the end of it!

Then another social hour on the 31st.

Beginning of February brings us a fresh snowfall. Makes the farms I travel to pretty.

Until it starts to really snow and blow when driving…

Group Social Hour on Valentine’s Day.

And the snow just kept coming all month. It kept snowing and snowing and dumped on us one day. I think it might have been some record breaking too. Not entirely sure. But it was a lot. Lots of drifts.

At least the sum came back out and shone bright on us while we got to work shoveling and snowblowing.

And that weekend, Feb 20th, my dad and I took 2 of the nephews to the local pond to try ice skating. A little section had already been cleared off.

Group chat on the 21st.

And a week later, by the 28th, the snow had all melted and it was warm enough to wash the truck! To prepare it for its’ coming adventure.

Group chat on the 28th.

March rolls along, and on Wednesday the 3rd, I am loaded up and rolling south in the truck with the DRZ on the back! Read all about it here… Sunshine on My Shoulders

Highlights include Jason’s birthday party on the way south

Arriving in Florida

Riding with friends at FWG 2.0

Riding the DRZ in Florida!

Eating the best shrimp tacos I have ever had

Manatees!

Eating delicious Cubanos!

Riding through Tampa on the DRZ

Back home, managed to jump on another group video chat.

And nearer the end of March it gets warm enough to venture out on the DRZ. Dangerous curve? In my town? Uhhhh….

This is what 85 miles in my county looks like. I got to the point on the southern line that I started turning left or right at every road. Just the change it up a bit.

And the end of March closes out with me having to say goodbye to my beloved cat, Creme Puff. She was 10, and I had known her that whole time. She showed up in the various RideReports, usually at the end when I would arrive home to my loved ones.

April rolls in pleasant. The season of harder work is ramping up…
And I got to meet and trim this mom and baby Clydesdale!

Lots of working, and shoeing and shoeing!

April 10th, and I dig the FJR out of the garage for the first time this year. And take it down to my dad’s garage to get new tires!

So that on Friday April 16th, I am good to go for a ride. Time to clear the head, so off I go! For 330 miles.

Made it to Amish country. Zig-zagged on the curvy paved roads in the area. Stopped at a covered bridge.

Back to work the next week, and Mother Nature decides to do one last snow drop. It was pretty in the trees and on the grass though.

May comes with the announcement that I was selected as Aerostich’s Rider of the Month.

And a Tech Day in Michigan on the 1st. My dad and I rode up to Bust’s garage to hang out with the crew.

Did some more working

Then Saturday May 8th, and I’m off to Wayne National Forest to go trail riding with friends!

We have a lot of fun together!

Found a waterfall and cave that was fun to hike down into.

Ran across some other friends while out on the trail.

This girl right here learned to ride 2 wheels only last year… and now she’s ripping up the trails on a WR250!

Back to work for the short week before the next adventure… but that included getting new work chaps.

And then taking care of this little girl with the humane society. She felt a lot better when I was done. Left foot is the after, right foot is the before.

Thursday May 13th and I’m loaded up and on the FJR! Headed southeast…

Made a stop at the Ohio State Reformatory, in Mansfield, OH. Did not go inside, only viewed from the parking lot.

Eventually pulled into the hotel parking lot to meet up with all the other hooligans who showed up in Marietta! And witnessed my bike being sticker bombed…

The next day, I’m headed off…

With 2 riders joining me for a day of fun!

Lunch stop at Beallsville Diner

And eventually found our way to Kiedaisch Point Park, overlooking the Ohio River.

Sure are some nice looking bikes there!

Gorgeous!

Stopped by Rinard Covered Bridge

These guys are fun to ride and hang out with!

They say there are curvy roads in SEOhio…

Back at the hotel, gathered up the other banana suit wearers to get a picture for Aerostich.
“Sure the bikes are fleet, the scenery is awesome, and the camaraderie is unmatched. But let's face it. It's all about the fashion...” -Mark, FjrVfr

The next day, and I join up with Brandon to try and find more of those curvy roads they talk about being around here somewhere…
And we found The Big Muskie Bucket

Tried for another Aerostich picture, while there were 3 of us there together.

Assume the position!

Sunday, and I’m off and headed all the way north to the lake. To Cedar Point! It’s opening weekend!

Met up with the rest of the family, to spend the day enjoying the park!

The whole family loves roller coasters!

The following weekend, and my sister invites me to go kayaking with her and one of the kids.

And then jump on the little bikes with the parents in the evening for the downtown cruise…

Did some more working

And after trimming these donkeys, we got to play with them!

June comes in with some warm days, so the parents, sister, the boys, and I head off the Cedar Point’s water park to play in the sun and water all day! Got a bit of a sunburn…. Oops.

Working some more, and visiting with the roaming long ear on this farm while waiting on the next client to show up.

Then on Tuesday June 15th, my dad and I take the day off, and take our bikes to Wayne NF to ride!

It’s my birthday, my dad’s anniversary, and his birthday is the next day. We decided we wanted to celebrate by riding!

It was a blast riding with my dad

And I am loving this bike, and loving trail riding!

The following week, and it’s the beginning of fair season for the surrounding counties. So I head over and watch my clients run their horses in the 4-H speed events.

June finishes off with a beautiful sunset and some pretty flowers outside a client’s barn.

Holiday weekend in July comes about, and I’m loading up the DRZ and headed out. Headed to the adv area around Mohican and Amish country in Ohio.

Stayed the night at the friend’s house, so that we all could get an early start on the day.

We enjoy riding around the backroads

And hitting the “hero” sections of old abandoned roads

The warm day made this water crossing feel great!

Lunch at a restaurant in Loudonville. 5 bikes to a parking spot, and 5 smelly and sweaty and wet riders coming in. Lol

Back out on the roads and having a blast!

Found a neat tunnel to take some pics.

These guys rock. We mesh really good as friends, and riders. So happy to have met them, they have changed my life.

After all that fun, gotta work some more.

But they say, if you like what you do, then you never work a day in your life.

Friday July 16th, and my sister and I decide to brave the weather and take the boys to Cedar Point. We managed to score the VIP package!! Included fast lane passes.

And VIP lounges, where we got to chill and play cornhole RIGHT UNDER the Millennium Force!

And with the forecast of rain, we knew we would probably end up wet for part of the day. But we enjoyed that too!!

The rain ended just in time to watch the Celebration Show in the front row.

Back to work, and helping more horses at the humane society. These bad cases are either surrendered, or part of a seizure case. Either way, a trim has helped them.

And this horse, here, is a success story from the humane society. He was adopted from there, and has a young girl as a human. And this girl got a toy horse that looks like him. I got to put shoes on him, so they can ride all summer together.

Friday, July 30th, and it’s time for the small village of Vanlue to have its’ fest. The mayor, who is a friend of mine, was in the parade on a 6-horse hitch of Clydesdales!

And then on Saturday I was at Wayne NF to trail ride with friends!

Smiles all around!

After riding all day, some of us set up camp at the trailhead.

Then some of us rode into town for dinner. While others drove in. (they weren’t staying the night)

Came back to the trailhead and one of the riders and I went out on the trails for a night ride. It was awesome!

Then it’s August 1st, and we are waking with the sun. Our camp was behind our trucks, tucked up in those trees. It was peaceful.

Riding trails makes me happy.

Time for work work work. And hot hot hot.

Oh, but wait, by Friday August 13th, I was at Cedar Point again!

It’s another one of my happy places…

Our family has an engraved brick in the sidewalk at the park! And our family motto.

The very next day, I’m back at the park and brought my aunt with me!

And we run into my parents there!

The setting sun and the coasters was pretty.

Watched the Celebration Show again. This time a lot busier and from farther away…

Mid-August is crunch time for getting all my 4-H kids and horses prepped for fair!

Making sure everyone is polished and shined and ready to go!

Also got the FJR out so it could get prepped and checked over for its’ next adventure.

Beginning of September, and got to trim this mammoth donkey! Look at those ears!!

And now it’s our fair time! Was there to watch some of my clients ride and show.

Draft horse pulls on Friday evening. Such a beautiful display of power and teamwork!

And just look at the size of these horses!

Packing clothes between the trips to the fair

So that on Wednesday 8th, I could head out! Eastbound and Down

Highlights include things that I didn’t take pics of the bike with. Lol.
And visiting friends.
And riding ferries.
And eating delicious food.
And watching the sunrise over the ocean.
And EOM.
Just read that RideReport, okay? But here’s a couple pics.

2,480 miles in 12 days. But lots of memories.

And just like that, it’s back to work.

But sunset evenings and old horses teach you to slow down and enjoy the moment.

Friday, October 1st rolls around and I’m off kayaking with my sister and some friends.

Glow kayaking this time!

From dusk to dark, it was an organized event on the Sandusky River in Fremont Ohio.

And THEN the following week… I get to have Tyler as a visitor!! And she followed me to a barn for a morning…

To watch me work.

And then we went to the cider mill…

Which also had a corn maze on the property. And Tyler went up the stairs, even though it wasn’t open. Lol

The next day, and we jump on the bikes with my parents in tow!

Off to the Lake Erie shore. Port Clinton first

A big fish.

Lakeshore group picture

And to Marblehead Lighthouse

And Tyler and I climbed to the top of the lighthouse! View of Cedar Point

This was when I learned that not everyone is fond of heights… Lol. Sorry! But I am super proud of you…

Then we took Tyler to Cedar Point! Drove around the perimeter road to the back parking lot.

On the way home, stopping so Tyler can take pictures…

Then Tyler and I went downtown for a bit to watch some of the downtown cruise that was going on.

And then to an empty parking lot, where I ended up test driving the Spyder.

The next morning, we are up and at em and headed to Columbus to meet up with Andy and Susie for brunch.

And then over to Iron Pony to do some shopping!

Tyler got new boots, and I got a new jacket!

Because it’s cool, and matches my bike… Lol

Then some more working…

And before ya know it, I’m off on the next adventure! October 16- Meeting up with friends again at Wayne NF.
It was raining that morning, so I tried hanging the tarp while I was waiting on the others to show up.

They get there, and we are ready to go!

My face might not show it, but I was having fun!

These guys are so much fun to ride with!!

By riding with them, I have in turn improved my riding. And had a blast while doing it!

And the bike has gotten its’ fair share of dirt and mud baths…

Back to work for a week, and watching sunsets

And back to Wayne NF the next weekend! This time with my dad, my uncle, and family friend.

On Friday, it was just the 4 of us riding.

On Saturday, my friends joined us!

That was a splendid day of riding and being with friends and family!

This friend brought his 7 year old son to ride with him. And they did awesome!

Even when not riding, even if just sitting around conversing and eating lunch, we have a great time. Making memories.

Stumbled upon 2 of dad’s work colleagues while out on the trails

The bike got a little dirty, but oh so happy!

And since we got rained out when we woke up on Sunday, we headed home, with a stop at Iron Pony, of course.

First of November comes about. And doing some working.

Then Friday the 5th, and I take off on the FJR. Did some scouting for pretty colors in the trees…

Calendar worthy shot? I suppose it is.

The next day, my dad jumps on my DRZ and follows me back to the state park.

So I can get both the bikes in the same picture with the pretty trees.

And me in the shot, too!

Assume the position!

I just felt the DRZ belonged more in nature and less on the pavement…

The state park had plenty of beautiful trees for a pretty backdrop.

And then the following weekend, and I load the DRZ and head back to the Amish/Mohican area. Made it partway there on Friday night so I could do some business shopping at an Amish store nice and early the next day before meeting with friends.

It was a *little* chilly this weekend… but we were still having fun!

Had lunch at a Mexican joint in Coshocton.

The temps hovered around 40 for the day, and we were being sleeted on pulling back into base and loading up.

100 mile ride on the dual sports, great lunch, lots of laughter and storytelling- put a smile on my face for the whole day. Even though it was cold, I'd do it all over again. Because these friends are awesome.

The next weekend, the 20th, I went to the Reformatory in Mansfield. (that one I only saw the outside of in May, before the ramble.)

And a friend and I toured the inside of it. Awesome!

The following weekend, after Thanksgiving, I was going on a motorcycle ride.

It just wasn’t my bike. I was asked to ride my new friend’s bike to a different garage, to be stored for the winter. He is just learning to ride, and didn’t feel comfortable taking it there. So of course I said I would! But, that ride consisted of more than just straight to the garage… Lol

First weekend of December and the entire family and I went to Nelsonville for the weekend, to ride the Santa train.

On Wednesday the 8th, my friend and I went to Iron Pony! Lots of variety of bikes for him to sit on, and see if any are more comfortable that the V-star. His problem is how tall he is. Yet, still needs a learner bike. We decided that a KLR 650 would fit the bill for him. So now it’s time to scour the internet and find a bike for sale.

Sunday, December 19th, and we take his family’s RZR 800 up to Maumee State Forest and do some trail riding. Holy crap, what fun!!!

So much fun! I couldn’t stop giggling!

Christmas Day, and my dad and I get out for out 12th annual Christmas Day ride!

Downtown city tree

58*, and just a smidge rainy

I wasn’t sure how I would get my presents for the whole family from my house to my parent’s house. Didn’t feel like starting up the truck, to go 2 blocks. Well heck, mom and dad have a little red wagon! So I towed it home with the DRZ! And then walked it back later, full, for our Christmas. Reindeer and its’ sleigh??

The next day, my sister had 2 tickets to a Toledo Walleye hockey game. Outdoors, at Fifth Third field!

Did a bit more working for the rest of the year, and then on New Year’s Eve day, my friend and I went to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.

And then a happy hour lunch nearby

And then some shopping at Cabela’s to close out the 2021 year.

So that was my year of riding and living.
2021 Spotwalla

End of the year stats:
FJR odometer- 116,058
FJR miles for 2021- 4,498
FJR states ridden in 2021- 9

DRZ odometer- 8,909
DRZ miles for 2021- 1,228
DRZ states ridden in 2021- 2

New states this year- 2
Total states gathered- 47
New stickers- a few…
Memories- MANY MANY MANY!!!

Lots of videos from vacation and the DRZ adventures on my youtube channel

Thanks for following along! See you on the next adventure! Cheers to 2022!
Last edited by FJRfarrier on Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
BikerGeek, CraigRegs, PhilJet09 and 16 others loved this
I haven’t made any really bad decisions lately... I’m getting bored.

IBA #60909
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Re: the year of 2021

Post by bigjohnsd »

Great summary 👌
FJRfarrier loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

I wish I was organized enough to do a post like this.

Awesome Julie!
Hppants and FJRfarrier loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

A post I am now looking forward to annually.
FJRfarrier loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

Another impressive ride (s) report!
Last edited by CollingsBob on Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
FJRfarrier loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Well, Miss Julie, that was another good one! Here's a song that essentially says when you really enjoy your work (and play), it isn't work.... like being on vacation 365. Life should be fun every day. Enjoy!

FJRfarrier loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Really great Julie! I hope next year you actually get to go somewhere. Hahahahaha
wheatonFJR and FJRfarrier loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250 L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Awesome, Julie, simply awesome summary of your year! 👍👍
FJRfarrier loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
FjrVfr
Contributor
FJRModel: 2012

Post by FjrVfr »

Outstanding! Thanks so much for putting it together for us.
FJRfarrier loved this
"Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Awesome report and very interesting work that you do. I'm a city guy and know nothing about horses. Didn't know they could suffer such problems if not properly cared for. Cudos to you. :)
D-Eagle, FJRfarrier, and wheatonFJR loved this
Pappy 09AE
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

If there is life after this life, I'd consider it an honor to come back as a Mid-western Farrier. With enough Shampoo-induced courage, I'd even ride the roller coasters for posterity.

Keep on keeping on, Madam. It sure is fun watching from the front row!!
FJRfarrier and danh600 loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

I would be willing to bet Julie is the only person here that has shoed a horse in the kitchen.
D-Eagle, gixxerjasen, N4HHE and 1 others loved this
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

Outstanding! There are some beautiful pictures in that report. You are a wonderful soul with a insatiable appetite for adventure. I consider it a privilege to know you and be able to enjoy these reports. Never mind being able to enjoy some of these adventures with you!
D-Eagle, BkerChuck, danh600 and 2 others loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

danh600 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:46 pm I would be willing to bet Julie is the only person here that has shoed a horse in the kitchen.
I have put my own shoes on in the kitchen!
But I am not a horse.
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Great write up!! I'm sure that took a while to pull together. Thank you for sharing.

Do you have to know some sort of secret handshake to get in on those FJR virtual happy hours? :)
FJRfarrier loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Hppants wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:07 pm With enough Shampoo-induced courage, I'd even ride the roller coasters for posterity.
I suspect that the amount of Shampoo required would be a very bad combination with roller coasters.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Just awesome Jules, your ability to chronicle your adventures in this format is undefeated.
BkerChuck, FJRfarrier, and wheatonFJR loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 15ES

Post by CraigRegs »

Wow! Epic! Glad we got to cross paths a time or two this past year. Keep on livin' that dream, Jules!
FJRfarrier and wheatonFJR loved this
Craig
----------------
...the Pursuit of Happiness
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Wow. You were busy!!!
I have some questions about horse feet/hooves/whatever over dropped drinks at the next SEO. I grew up on a farm, but no horses. Those were some crazy photos. Also, that Reformatory looked beautiful on the outside and creepy on the inside. Will add that to my list of things to see and run from.

Couldn't see the SEO photos very well because the shimmering gloss off that red bike almost blinded me.
I watched the sledding video several times. Kid was a good sport.
You are certainly seeing and experiencing much more than I ever did at your age. Thanks for bringing us along.
(Sorry to hear about Creme Puff, beautiful friend).
FJRfarrier loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.