Possible Failing Ignition Lock

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Re: Possible Failing Ignition Lock

Post by Festus »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:14 pm I'll disagree with graphite, it can gum up the works after while.... I'd flush it a coupla more times. Might even be a bit of build-up at the tip preventing the key from going in that last 1/2mm..... if that don't work..... we'll talk later.

Back in the say, I knew a few that bought new cars every year, some of them said because the ashtray was full.... you can find almost any reason to get a new bike, want a list?
You only put a tiny, tiny amount in and it should last a long time. Far better than anything like WD-40 which is horrific for being a dust and dirt magnet. My first "adult" job in my trade was working at a place that made locksmith supplies. We made key cutting machines, lock picks and everything for the industry. It was preached to us never ever spray anything liquid in a lock, like WD-40. A couple particles of graphite will be just fine as long as it wasn't soaked in oil prior to putting that in. I'd be willing some brake cleaner in it a couple times and a tiny bit of graphite on the key and it'll be good as new.
FJRPittsburgh and bill lumberg loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Re: Possible Failing Ignition Lock

Post by bill lumberg »

After irrigation, I blew it out with compressed air. No difference, but I did find that, if I rotate the key outward, in a clockwise fashion, almost like trying to draw a circle,
While turning it, I can usually get past the glitch.

I’m just trying to make it past November 22nd so I can see what’s up. :) Thanks for all the advice- and for the spare part offer. Very cool.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES