Inverted Forks on Gen 1

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Inverted Forks on Gen 1

Post by Canadian FJR »

Could one install a new Gen front end on a Gen 1 by simply replacing the steering head, inverted forks and wheel?

Is it a straight forward bolt on?

Canadian FJR
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Inverted Forks on Gen 1

Post by raYzerman »

Ask G, but I believe the ES USD forks are a direct bolt-on, you'd need the fender to go with it as it mounts differently. You would have to figure out how to set up and tweak the damping as no electronics are available. Rotary damping valves, methinks. You could go whole hog and put Andreani cartridges in, where the damping adjustments are in the fork caps.......

I have heard of mounting R1 forks on, but that requires the whole front end, wheel, etc.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Re: Inverted Forks on Gen 1

Post by escapefjrtist »

Qualified maybe, but for GEN I would be a difficult swap. Not straightforward and likely not worth the cost and aggravation. First, whole front braking system is different. Compare caliper mounting points, brake lines different angles / length. USD forks require longer lines. ABS bike adds another layer of complexity. Ray mentioned front fender, there's also many clips / retainers needed. Handlebars are different.

Adjusting stock ES forks is easy. A stepper motor drives a needle/seat in the cap assembly. Laptop, free software and a $25 stepper motor controller is all that's needed. I have complete compression/rebound adjustment from full soft to full hard. Not limited to the preprogrammed OE settings. Works slick, takes me 5 minutes to adjust both sides. I reached out to Andreani ~18 months ago and they were willing to build a set of cartridges for the USD forks. Maybe some day...stock USD cartridges are decent so what am I gaining? Bling!!!

FWIW, another inmate converted a '16A to USD. Purchased all new OE parts and had Traxxion modify FZ-1 cartridges. Two unicorns in the wild now!

~G
wheatonFJR, raYzerman, and CollingsBob loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere