October 2021 - software update and adjustments

Forum Guidelines and Information, Status, etc.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

October 2021 - software update and adjustments

Post by extrememarine »

There is a software update available that I intend to work through installing over the weekend. This along with some other adjustments may mean some periods of unavailability for the forum ( Or longer if I punt it into the stands...)

I am looking for feed back regarding the mystery "log out" issue we were having - Beginning Today around 5pm, if you experience the repeated login request when moving from one thread / post to another, please let me know via PM or posting here. Everyone will likely experience needing to log back in at least once due to the software update and clearing / terminating current sessions - this is normal; if you get past that and have the enter your log in credentials between viewing pages, please let me know.

"may the odds be ever in my favor..." is the theme of this update...

:)

Thanks,

Wayne
N4HHE, CollingsBob, and gixxerjasen loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Re: October 2021 - software update and adjustments

Post by N4HHE »

The log-out issue for me has been primarily with Brave Browser on iPad iOS when I list "unread messages" then start opening the interesting messages "in another tab" relatively fast. Guessing I am opening a new one before previous finished. Then I find I have multiple tabs of "login". All I have to to is re-login to one. Then for the others a refresh gets the job done. Am guessing cookie updates get crossed up with multiple views updating at the same time.

Related: I try to hit the little icon which goes direct to latest unread message. When I succeed in hitting it the "open in new tab" lands at the top of the correct page for the unread message, first message on page not first unread, without a "go to first unread" (forgot exactly how it is spelled) link. If I open in current tab it goes direct to the newest message. Open in new tab with Brave Browser in MacOS goes to the correct message on the correct page.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Is this happening right now, or is this from the previous period?
N4HHE wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:52 pm The log-out issue for me has been primarily with Brave Browser on iPad iOS when I list "unread messages" then start opening the interesting messages "in another tab" relatively fast. Guessing I am opening a new one before previous finished. Then I find I have multiple tabs of "login". All I have to to is re-login to one. Then for the others a refresh gets the job done. Am guessing cookie updates get crossed up with multiple views updating at the same time.

Related: I try to hit the little icon which goes direct to latest unread message. When I succeed in hitting it the "open in new tab" lands at the top of the correct page for the unread message, first message on page not first unread, without a "go to first unread" (forgot exactly how it is spelled) link. If I open in current tab it goes direct to the newest message. Open in new tab with Brave Browser in MacOS goes to the correct message on the correct page.
Ride There!

IBA#60836

Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Wayne,

10/07/21. Now have to log-in for every new topic, unread posts, active topics, et c.
Using Brave browser, for the lack of tracking it offers.
Same with Firefox.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

When I tried to sign on I got a message that said the site was unavailable or may have permanently moved. After trying a few times I was able to get on. Haven't tried to re log in yet, I'll let you know. :?
Pappy 09AE
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

We've explored the Brave browser issue; the "lack of tracking" is likely impacting the interaction of this site due to how cookies are used to keep track of a user id from page to page.

Firefox - I'm posting from firefox right now, with no issues after I logged in. This is from a computer I don't normally access the site from, and it's working as expected. My guess is that you have selected settings in firefox that are impacting the way the browser on your PC interacts with the site.
Red wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:34 pm Wayne,

10/07/21. Now have to log-in for every new topic, unread posts, active topics, et c.
Using Brave browser, for the lack of tracking it offers.
Same with Firefox.
Ride There!

IBA#60836

extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Update - I've seen no unexpected issues when accessing the site via Chrome or Firefox at this point. Once I log in, I'm in and can move freely between posts / pages without being asked to log in again.
Ride There!

IBA#60836

FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

I have had no issues with Microsoft Edge on my desktop or Chrome on my phone. (Either before or after any recent changes)
(Windows 10 on desktop, Android OS on Samsung phone)
Last edited by FJRoss on Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

I'm having a problem. Every time I log in, it makes me want to go ride my FJR.
raYzerman, danh600, CollingsBob and 2 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

extrememarine wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:56 amWe've explored the Brave browser issue; the "lack of tracking" is likely impacting the interaction of this site due to how cookies are used to keep track of a user id from page to page.
Firefox - I'm posting from firefox right now, with no issues after I logged in. This is from a computer I don't normally access the site from, and it's working as expected. My guess is that you have selected settings in firefox that are impacting the way the browser on your PC interacts with the site.
Wayne,

When I had this same problem before, Firefox still worked normally for me. I did not change anything on Firefox.
Now Firefox has the same problem as Brave - log in for every topic.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

extrememarine wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:11 pm Is this happening right now, or is this from the previous period?
Site has not logged me off in days. Tired hard to get logged out opening multiple tabs in Brave on iPadOS 15.0.1 this morning, failed to get logged out. At least one had a “go to first unread”.

I think things are looking good! Thanks!
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Still logged in so far so good-Chrome. ;)
Pappy 09AE
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

phpbb software update from 3.3.4 to 3.3.5 is complete.

Access via Chrome & Firefox on Win10 laptop is functioning as expected. No repeated log in requests.

I'd suggest everyone log out, close browser(s) (PC, tablet, smartphone), log back in.
Ride There!

IBA#60836

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I've been using Firefox for years, I'll say a coupla forum upgrades a year or two ago I had temporary login issues.... I never even noticed this upgrade, did not have to re-log in, nuttin'.
extrememarine loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

extrememarine wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:09 pm I'd suggest everyone log out, close browser(s) (PC, tablet, smartphone), log back in.
You can't make me.

Well, I mean, yes you can, but I'm not gonna unless I have to, and so far it's been as solid for me as it was before the upgrade.
wheatonFJR and N4HHE loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Was there work getting done yesterday on the site? Logging in from work I had to login each time I changed pages (Chrome browser) and figured there was maintenance going on so I waited until I got home. When I tried from home (Chrome browser) I landed on a very different login page and figured work was continuing so I closed the page and wondered if Wheaton was bothering his bride since the site was down. :D Tried again this morning from home and looks to be back to normal at this point.

Thanks Wayne for all of your hard work keeping this up and running!!
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Steel_Gin wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:51 am Was there work getting done yesterday on the site? Logging in from work I had to login each time I changed pages (Chrome browser) and figured there was maintenance going on so I waited until I got home. When I tried from home (Chrome browser) I landed on a very different login page and figured work was continuing so I closed the page and wondered if Wheaton was bothering his bride since the site was down. :D Tried again this morning from home and looks to be back to normal at this point.

Thanks Wayne for all of your hard work keeping this up and running!!
There are some issues with some plugins we are trying to sort out. It has to do with tying the Wordpess site and the forum together for the Calendar Contest for voting. The plugin had been running fine for a couple of weeks, but it seems to have introduced issues in the last day or two.

We'll disable the plugin again if it remains a problem after the calendar contest is over. Hopefully we can fix it before then.
Steel_Gin loved this
TimDog!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

We all appreciate y'alls efforts. Don't sweat it.
DesignFlaw06 loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

I haven’t been logged out in some time but just now in Brave on iPad opened several threads in new tab from the “unread” page. Got logged out in the process. Perhaps I opened too quickly? Seems if I make sure the new page has finished loading before I open another I don’t get logged out. Wasn’t that careful just now.