The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Sub-Forum to hold the annual FJRiders.com calendar contest threads.
User avatar
gixxerjasen
Veteran
Posts: 4124
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Location: DFW
x 3278
x 5390

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by gixxerjasen »

It's a sad day when Wheatie is giving the reading directions around here.
wheatonFJR and extrememarine loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
User avatar
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 14992
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest
x 26697
x 11318

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:57 pm It's a sad day when Wheatie is giving the reading directions around here.
RTFM.

:D
“There’s no better therapy than a ride.” -petey

There are some awfully good people here at FJRiders!
User avatar
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 14992
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest
x 26697
x 11318

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:57 pm It's a sad day when Wheatie is giving the reading directions around here.
I just thought Wayne was trying to help himself to first place in the contest with a misdirect. Wayne is sneaky…sneaky fast.
gixxerjasen loved this
“There’s no better therapy than a ride.” -petey

There are some awfully good people here at FJRiders!
User avatar
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5049
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR
Location: SE Michigan
x 928
x 6101
Contact:

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by extrememarine »

If that's how it worked here, then the rules would say something like, "top 10 photos voted on will be added to the calendar behind whatever picture Tim and Wayne submit."

But it's not how it works.

This little off-topic diversion has been a product me trying to do a quick update / bump to promote the calendar contest and mis-reading / mis-typing the submission end date and voting window for the contest. For that I apologize and thank Wheaton for being 'johnny-on-the-spot' with pointing out my error.

We have 2 weeks left for submissions. We are working on updates to the behind the scenes system components to ensure when the voting window opens, all things run smoothly. We are also creating a gallery page to view previous year's calendar pages.

Thanks!

Wayne
wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:55 pm
gixxerjasen wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:57 pm It's a sad day when Wheatie is giving the reading directions around here.
I just thought Wayne was trying to help himself to first place in the contest with a misdirect. Wayne is sneaky…sneaky fast.
Uncle Hud, CraigRegs, Cav47 and 2 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero
User avatar
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 2033
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:26 am
FJRModel: 2016 ES
Location: Central Flatistan
x 3093
x 1778

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by LKLD »

I tried submitting (twice), but not sure it’ll meet the size criteria.

Image

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sKh55y ... p=drivesdk
Last edited by LKLD on Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Festus loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don & Petey レイクランド
User avatar
Hppants
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 4036
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 pm
FJRModel: 2014
x 6604
x 5613

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by Hppants »

I have a suggestion:

For the 2022 calendar, could the location of the images be included in the picture depicted within the calendar itself? If I don't know where it is, I always have to refer to the back of the calendar, inverted. This of course is an unbearable inconvenience, the likes of which should not be submitted to our fine sisthern (I think I made that word up) and brethren.

Just a thought...
Uncle Hud, Cav47, and Tyler loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Image
User avatar
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5049
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR
Location: SE Michigan
x 928
x 6101
Contact:

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by extrememarine »

Tim has shared some of the process he goes through to create the page images; potentially, that text could be added, but it has to be included with the submission. The challenge is adding a frame to the image that does not cover up or distract from the image itself.

It also ties to the gallery project I'm working on separately; I agree - it would be nice to have that location information included with a description of the picture.

Wayne
Hppants wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:09 am I have a suggestion:

For the 2022 calendar, could the location of the images be included in the picture depicted within the calendar itself? If I don't know where it is, I always have to refer to the back of the calendar, inverted. This of course is an unbearable inconvenience, the likes of which should not be submitted to our fine sisthern (I think I made that word up) and brethren.

Just a thought...
CraigRegs, Hppants, and Cav47 loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero
User avatar
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:49 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A
x 193
x 1239
Contact:

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

extrememarine wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:20 pm Tim has shared some of the process he goes through to create the page images; potentially, that text could be added, but it has to be included with the submission. The challenge is adding a frame to the image that does not cover up or distract from the image itself.

It also ties to the gallery project I'm working on separately; I agree - it would be nice to have that location information included with a description of the picture.

Wayne
Hppants wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:09 am I have a suggestion:

For the 2022 calendar, could the location of the images be included in the picture depicted within the calendar itself? If I don't know where it is, I always have to refer to the back of the calendar, inverted. This of course is an unbearable inconvenience, the likes of which should not be submitted to our fine sisthern (I think I made that word up) and brethren.

Just a thought...
I have a hard enough time getting people to submit photos that meet the minimal requirements in the first place. The first image submitted each year is always something that doesn't have enough resolution to print a postage stamps. The next image after that is always something in portrait orientation. Most emails I get don't even have usernames. I have to look it up. Location information if provided varies quite a bit from 42.7543581,-86.5226659,8z all the way to Earth. My point being that I can't get information consistent enough to work with. Coming up with the artwork each year is challenging enough, I shouldn't have to make individual accommodations for each picture.

I think the back of the calendar is a nice compromise. It seems that the solution to your problem is to buy two calendars. Hang one up properly and hang the other one next to it, closed with the back page facing up. That eliminates unnecessary flipping!
danh600, BkerChuck, bigjohnsd and 5 others loved this
TimDog!
User avatar
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5049
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR
Location: SE Michigan
x 928
x 6101
Contact:

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by extrememarine »

El-Pants request has already been granted - back cover of the 2021 calendar below; To Tim's point, when information was provided by the submitter, it was included in the caption of the photo.

For those submitting pictures - please include your forum name in the message, and include the location that the picture was taken so Pants can easily fill in his trip planning itenery...

:D

Image
DesignFlaw06 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:14 pm
extrememarine wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:20 pm Tim has shared some of the process he goes through to create the page images; potentially, that text could be added, but it has to be included with the submission. The challenge is adding a frame to the image that does not cover up or distract from the image itself.

It also ties to the gallery project I'm working on separately; I agree - it would be nice to have that location information included with a description of the picture.

Wayne
Hppants wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:09 am I have a suggestion:

For the 2022 calendar, could the location of the images be included in the picture depicted within the calendar itself? If I don't know where it is, I always have to refer to the back of the calendar, inverted. This of course is an unbearable inconvenience, the likes of which should not be submitted to our fine sisthern (I think I made that word up) and brethren.

Just a thought...
I have a hard enough time getting people to submit photos that meet the minimal requirements in the first place. The first image submitted each year is always something that doesn't have enough resolution to print a postage stamps. The next image after that is always something in portrait orientation. Most emails I get don't even have usernames. I have to look it up. Location information if provided varies quite a bit from 42.7543581,-86.5226659,8z all the way to Earth. My point being that I can't get information consistent enough to work with. Coming up with the artwork each year is challenging enough, I shouldn't have to make individual accommodations for each picture.

I think the back of the calendar is a nice compromise. It seems that the solution to your problem is to buy two calendars. Hang one up properly and hang the other one next to it, closed with the back page facing up. That eliminates unnecessary flipping!
Hppants, gixxerjasen, and wheatonFJR loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero
User avatar
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 6923
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee
Location: Millgrove, Ontario, CA
x 1892
x 6523

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by raYzerman »

TimDog and Extrememarine in 2024!!!
BkerChuck loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
User avatar
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 14992
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest
x 26697
x 11318

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by wheatonFJR »

Since this is a FJR members Calendar, I thought about submitting this one:
Image

...but I didn't.
bigjohnsd and gixxerjasen loved this
“There’s no better therapy than a ride.” -petey

There are some awfully good people here at FJRiders!
User avatar
gixxerjasen
Veteran
Posts: 4124
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Location: DFW
x 3278
x 5390

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by gixxerjasen »

You could still submit it, but if you want it to have a chance at making it in the calendar you'll need to be sure to crop it a bit to get Marty's ugly mug out of the shot.
El Toro Joe and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
User avatar
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:49 pm
FJRModel: 2013 CanAm Spyder ST
Location: Mountain View, CA
x 2057
x 2178
Contact:

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by Tyler »

After much hemming and hawing, I finally decided on the final two and just sent them in. :D
Uncle Hud, LKLD, extrememarine and 3 others loved this
"Spend time with those who make you better." ~Anonymous
User avatar
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:49 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A
x 193
x 1239
Contact:

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Still 5 days to get submissions in. There haven't been as many as previous years so if you've been sitting on photos, get them in!
TimDog!
User avatar
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 3514
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:22 pm
FJRModel: 2016ES
Location: North Coast of Ohio
x 4544
x 1844

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by El Toro Joe »

Done...
"RIP Petey"
User avatar
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:49 pm
FJRModel: 2013 CanAm Spyder ST
Location: Mountain View, CA
x 2057
x 2178
Contact:

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by Tyler »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:58 am Still 5 days to get submissions in. There haven't been as many as previous years so if you've been sitting on photos, get them in!
I sent mine in a couple of days ago... just checking to see if they were received? :)
"Spend time with those who make you better." ~Anonymous
User avatar
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 14992
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest
x 26697
x 11318

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:50 pm You could still submit it, but if you want it to have a chance at making it in the calendar you'll need to be sure to crop it a bit to get Marty's ugly mug out of the shot.
Hey. I'm not a miracle worker, it was all I could do to get Jason's best side.
gixxerjasen loved this
“There’s no better therapy than a ride.” -petey

There are some awfully good people here at FJRiders!
User avatar
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:49 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A
x 193
x 1239
Contact:

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

Tyler wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:00 pm
DesignFlaw06 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:58 am Still 5 days to get submissions in. There haven't been as many as previous years so if you've been sitting on photos, get them in!
I sent mine in a couple of days ago... just checking to see if they were received? :)
If they are displayed on the calendar contest page, they were received.

https://www.fjriders.com/calendar-contest/

Voting is not enabled until the 15th of November, after all submissions are in.
Tyler, Cav47, and El Toro Joe loved this
TimDog!
User avatar
gixxerjasen
Veteran
Posts: 4124
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Location: DFW
x 3278
x 5390

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by gixxerjasen »

I thought I told Tyler to not pick the one with the two ugly guys in it!
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
User avatar
gixxerjasen
Veteran
Posts: 4124
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Location: DFW
x 3278
x 5390

Re: The Official 2022 Calendar Contest

Post by gixxerjasen »

Also, this is good, posting them up might get other folks to jump in.

Pants and Cav though, damn, some tough competition.
Hppants loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Post Reply