Windshield won't move sometimes until cycling power

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Windshield won't move sometimes until cycling power

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

It's happened twice now. The windshield won't move. If I turn the bike off and then back on, everything is fine. It happened on the way back home from Tech Day. I rode for a while with it down until I got to a stop light. A quick power cycle and it was fine. Is there a thermal shutoff somewhere? Any other ideas?
TimDog!
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Re: Windshield won't move sometimes until cycling power

Post by extrememarine »

Loose and / or corroded connector would be my first guess.

Do you have the jumper installed that makes the windshield stay in place when you turn the key off?
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:13 am It's happened twice now. The windshield won't move. If I turn the bike off and then back on, everything is fine. It happened on the way back home from Tech Day. I rode for a while with it down until I got to a stop light. A quick power cycle and it was fine. Is there a thermal shutoff somewhere? Any other ideas?
Any other electrical anomalies? A non-functioning windshield mechanism is one of the symptoms of a grounding "spider" fault.
If this happens again, check for non-functioning glovebox solenoid, high beam indicator on, both directional signal indicators on etc...

Hopefully just a dirty switch.

Note: I found on my '07 that the windshield would sometimes not work when running at speed or into the wind. Either not enough power to move it or the mechanism was slipping. Probably just needed cleaning and cable tension adjustment. Never did figure it out but was never a real problem.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

extrememarine wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:17 am Loose and / or corroded connector would be my first guess.

Do you have the jumper installed that makes the windshield stay in place when you turn the key off?
I do not. Fixing it with the power cycle is what doesn't make sense. Nothing other than the key is moving and it's only turned off for a second. I would expect a loose connection to still be broken if that were the case. Are there smarts in the Windshield Drive Unit? Can't imagine there would be other than a few diodes and limit switches. Nothing that would say if it doesn't detect a windshield on powerup, don't bother driving the motor.

It hasn't been a consistent enough to be a real issue yet, but something I'm trying to look out for the next time I'm digging around in there.
FJRoss wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:36 am Any other electrical anomalies? A non-functioning windshield mechanism is one of the symptoms of a grounding "spider" fault.
If this happens again, check for non-functioning glovebox solenoid, high beam indicator on, both directional signal indicators on etc...

Hopefully just a dirty switch.

Note: I found on my '07 that the windshield would sometimes not work when running at speed or into the wind. Either not enough power to move it or the mechanism was slipping. Probably just needed cleaning and cable tension adjustment. Never did figure it out but was never a real problem.
Turn signals, high beam, horn all still work. No errors on the display. And the bike still runs down the road.
TimDog!
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Tim,

Sounds like a dirty/corroded electrical connection. On my 2008, the windshield, horn, and left handlebar switches get ground from the S6 spider and Coupler 3. The 2006 may be the same, or not. Hopefully you have an electrical schematic, or access to one for the 2006.

The next time the windshield is balky, try the horn and left switches, as a quick check. The 2006 would be about due for a spider clean-up, in any case. Recommend: Clean away any corrosion in spiders, and maybe replace connector/pins as needed, then use a contact cleaner.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Tim, sounds like you are on the verge of a ground spider fault.... check S4 and S6 in particular, they take the heavy loads.... there are 6 ground wires in each spider, the W/S one may be acting up.... look for corrosion/overheating......
Gen1 windshields had a module... Gen2 does not AFAIK.

Ground spider diagram showing accumulation of loads at S6 and S4, the two most likely to overload first..... every Gen2 owner should just go check/clean/service theirs at their earliest convenience.......

Russ's write-up in the other sandbox....... may be duplication.....
https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/the-g ... ost-909154

http://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopi ... =60&t=3035
CollingsBob loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

I'll find the picture of the S6 on mine that went bad - you could see that it shorted / got hot before it failed.

ground spider - S6 - connector removed

S6 ground spider - blade side.

Here's what it looks like when you decide to check EVERYTHING.
Ride There!

IBA#60836

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Sounds like it's about time for a Tech Day or sumpin...
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

well, extrememarine is extreme... I checked all mine and installed a Brodie harness with only the dash and lower fairings off, fuel tank propped up... was fun, but more fun to just strip it right down, lol. It woulda been easier....
wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

The 2 potential primary offenders are easy to get to - left side lower panel allows access to S6, and pulling the tank allows S4 inspection.

Let me know if I'm coming over there or if we're doing it on my lift... Or if you want to roll the dice and wait until spring....
Ride There!

IBA#60836

DesignFlaw06
Veteran

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

extrememarine wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:37 pm The 2 potential primary offenders are easy to get to - left side lower panel allows access to S6, and pulling the tank allows S4 inspection.

Let me know if I'm coming over there or if we're doing it on my lift... Or if you want to roll the dice and wait until spring....
I did do the recall so S4 should be fine. But S6 could be an issue. You can swing by if you are bored, but I don't know that I'll have the time to get over there. I'll probably roll the dice until Spring. I'm If I can get Nick to go to a Sena, I'll rip out the CB and will be into that front left panel.
extrememarine loved this
TimDog!