Poetry

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Re: Poetry

Post by FastPappy »

Festus wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:20 pm Very much enjoyed the report. I should have commented far earlier, I felt bad when you put all the effort into it and didn't get many replies. I can speak for myself in saying, it wasn't because it wasn't enjoyed, it was because I didn't want to interrupt your story, I was hanging on every word.

Well done!
Ditto! :D
Pappy 09AE
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

Joey, as always, I enjoyed reading your RR and looking at your photos. Your writing has depth and brevity at all the right moments, and is a pleasure to read. Well done, Sir! 👍👍
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Thank you all for reading my ride report. It was fun writing it, but is was WAY more fun RIDING it.

Jim - as retirement gets closer, I get more ready and the signs are starting to appear. I'm slowing down a bit. Putting things off. Spending time on things that I had no time (or interest) in before. The transformation is quite telling.

Jasen - I get it, your NEED to plan. I get it because I know many who are like you and in fact, hard though it may be to believe, I was like you. I literally got baptized by fire on an Arkansas trip. The weather was not going to allow the plan in any way. i was with a non-planner and on night 1, he took the written plan and threw it into the campfire. I didn't sleep a wink that night. But I still remember that trip as being awesome. Try it once. Ya never know.
wheatonFJR and gixxerjasen loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

Really enjoyed the ride, thanks for taking us along.

Fabulous pictures. Congrats on the eagle pictures, I always have great difficulty in focusing on such subject matter.
wheatonFJR loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

fjray wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:02 pm Another great Pants report. I doubt I'll ever get east to ride so at least I can see what I'm missing
No, Ray.... you didn't get the chance. Hopefully wherever you are, if you care to, you can see it now.

As for the rest of us, take heed of our friends' unintended advice. Wherever, whatever, whomever.... just .... do it.
fontanaman, Bugnatr, danh600 and 4 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Hppants wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:24 pm
fjray wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:02 pm Another great Pants report. I doubt I'll ever get east to ride so at least I can see what I'm missing
No, Ray.... you didn't get the chance. Hopefully wherever you are, if you care to, you can see it now.

As for the rest of us, take heed of our friends' unintended advice. Wherever, whatever, whomever.... just .... do it.
:(
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Bust
Veteran
FJRModel: 68' Schwinn Stingray

Post by Bust »

Great report pants, however the poetry wasn't what I expected suppose it's because I'm an uncultured goober.

This my friend is Poetry!
There once was a man from Saint Paul
Who had a hexagonical ball
The cube of it's weight
plus his pecker times eight
Was his phone number, give him a call.

I'm here all week
bigjohnsd, Bugnatr, El Toro Joe and 1 others loved this
You ever see a grown man naked Billy?
goodman4
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2007 FJR1300, 2007 GL1800, 2019 MT10

Post by goodman4 »

Just got around to reading in detail this awesome ride report, Pants! It was hard to read that above post from Ray, though.

One more thing I must comment on... I've said before on your posts that you say some poignant stuff and you seem like a very cool customer. But the way you casually mention the idiot volunteer fireman that physically tried to run you guys off the road is totally lacking the anger and vengeful attitude that is polluting everything these days. I salute you, brother. I'm usually a peacemaker, so I might have responded externally the same way you did, but I do not have the maturity to respond that way internally as it seems you did. It probably would have eaten me up and at least partially ruined my trip. You didn't let it ruin yours at all. Consider me inspired as I was reading the forum while trying to figure out whether I was going to let an insult from a co-worker ruin my weekend.
Cav47 loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Thank you, Goodman for reading my ride report. In my younger years, I was more full of piss and vinegar and certainly would have let an incident like that kill my buzz. As I get older, and the testosterone weans a bit, things appear a bit different. Logically, it makes no sense for Josh and I to get into a fight with a vehicle that outweighs us exponentially, and by definition and first hand witness, is being operated by someone that is totally irrational. Somebody would get hurt and THAT would indeed ruin our trip and a lot more.

This is one justification for me continuing to ride motorcycles. I'm trying to use my maturity to make good decisions. Know when its safe to push it, know when its best to hold back. Of course, that can mean a lot of things: how fast we ride, how far we ride, where we ride, or even if we ride at all. I freely admit that its a work in progress. Some days (that given day, for example), I feel good about it. We pulled over, got out of the idiot's way, and blew it off, glad to have it not turn into a shit show. Other days, well.... not so much. I'll keep working at it.

One additional comment: I'm sincerely humbled by all of you complimenting my writing. They mean more to me than you know. Before motorcycles, I never really thought of myself as a writer. I was, and still am, a self-imposed literary idiot. I don't read, and what I do read almost always must be non-fiction, and take me no more than a day to go through.

But the ride instills thoughts in me and over time, those thoughts manifest themselves in the form of a theme. I use that as a crutch to help me remember the experience. If others enjoy my experience and thoughts on the matter, so much the better. As I approach retirement, writing more about motorcycles is high on the priority list. It took a fictitious anvil over my head, but I now realize that this "forum" is not the best place for this. I'm looking to other venues that are more suitable. Places where the reader can grab a cup of Joe or a nice Tottie and spend an hour to enjoy the story behind the ride, and let the story take them there in their imagination, or better yet, allow them to plan a similar adventure.
Cav47 and bigjohnsd loved this

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Hppants wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:10 am . As I approach retirement, writing more about motorcycles is high on the priority list. It took a fictitious anvil over my head, but I now realize that this "forum" is not the best place for this. I'm looking to other venues that are more suitable. Places where the reader can grab a cup of Joe or a nice Tottie and spend an hour to enjoy the story behind the ride, and let the story take them there in their imagination, or better yet, allow them to plan a similar adventure.
You had better not stop posting here or "we" might have to take action against the Shampoo Bottle! JSNS!!!
Cav47 loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bigjohnsd wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:12 pm
Hppants wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:10 am . As I approach retirement, writing more about motorcycles is high on the priority list. It took a fictitious anvil over my head, but I now realize that this "forum" is not the best place for this. I'm looking to other venues that are more suitable. Places where the reader can grab a cup of Joe or a nice Tottie and spend an hour to enjoy the story behind the ride, and let the story take them there in their imagination, or better yet, allow them to plan a similar adventure.
You had better not stop posting here or "we" might have to take action against the Shampoo Bottle! JSNS!!!
See gun thread…
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:57 pm
bigjohnsd wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:12 pm
See gun thread…
Heck with that! I will just tell Tyler! Your ass will be grass.
Hppants loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!