A week at the "Geezerfest" 2021 BMW MOA Rally Great Falls MT

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

A week at the "Geezerfest" 2021 BMW MOA Rally Great Falls MT

Post by bigjohnsd »

I'd never been to a BMW Rally so I decided to try one on for size.

The event was supposed to happen in 2020 but we all know how that worked out.

The 2021 event was a "Same Time, Same Station" kind of thing.

According to some in the know there were 4,000 signed up in advance, 500 showed up and paid full boat to get in and another 1,000 paid a reduced rate for "Saturday Only access.

The event was held at the Great Falls Metropark, a fairgrounds alongside the Missouri River with a fair bit of shaded camping area. I'd say that a good 2/3rds of the attendees camped. Camping space was in short supply by Friday evening.

A few Rally site pictures:

And a link to a whole lot more - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjacks ... 9450573964

Day 1 - I left home on Tuesday and rode a circuitous route to Billings MT for an evening with friends.

I started out heading West on US 212 but once I got to Alzada MT, I decided to head South to ride US 14/16 to Sheridan WY then ride 14/14A over the Bighorns.

Lots of Bugs and a shorty windscreen, I had to clean my visor frequently.

to Lovell, WY, and then North to Billings. I had originally intended to include Chief Joseph and the Beartooth into a long day but there was a fire near Red Lodge that helped me decide not to attempt it.
I left late and arrived in Billings right on time at 1800.

Day 2 - Wednesday was an easy ride from Billings to Great Falls, I left Billings and headed North West up to US 12 which took me across Montana

to White Sulphur Springs where I fueled before heading North up US 89 to Great Falls.
I arrived at my Campsite, Room 427 at the Great Falls Staybridge Suites just after noon.

Day Three - Thursday was a "Day at the Rally" in the morning I took it all in, looked at the vendors, ate Rally Food, met new people, and sold Ice for the BMW MOA in the afternoon. I hung with Pterodactyl, Annie, a friend of theirs, and my roommate Bob for the evening. We consumed a little Nectar of the Irish while sharing our lives deepest experiences.

Day Four - Friday Bob and I took a nice 300-mile ride, South to White Sulphur Springs on US 89, West on US 12 to Townsend MT, North up the East side of the Missouri River to Helena, then over Flescher Pass and back to Great Falls on MT 200.

Day 5 - Saturday - I spent the morning again looking at bikes and perusing the vendors, I volunteered at the Do It Yourself Bike Wash and Oil Change venue in the afternoon.

They gave 20 brand new BMW m motorcycles away in a raffle, I didn't win one. I did score a brand new BMW GSA Takeoff Windscreen someone had set up aside a trash can. I needed a new windscreen as mine was cracked from tipping over in the dirt multiple times so the savings almost netted out the cost of my Campsite.

Day 6 - Sunday - I slept in, then after helping Pterodactyl load his two Urals I rode to his "Outpost" for an evening of recovery. I took the Scenic Route down "Old US 91" which follows the Missouri River parallel to I-15 from Great Falls to Helena. It was a pretty ride.

After arriving at "The Outpost" Kevin and I performed a little Firmware upgrade on one of his bikes and then went for a test ride.
Relive failed me on the test ride but here are a few pictures I took along the way.

Pterodactyl - "John, does this little GS700 make my Ass look Big?"

The clouds looked threatening as we headed over Flescher Pass to Lincoln for a Hamburger but we never got wet

In case you are still wondering Kevin, the answer is "Yes".

Day 7 - Monday - The Long Ride Home - I left "The Outpost" about 0815 and rode down the East side of the Missouri River/lake to Townsend, East on US 12, and then South on US 89
to Livingston MT before jumping on I-90 to make time getting home.
After a burger and a Blizzard in Hardin MT, I took US 212 (upon which the State of Montana has dropped the speed limit from 70 mph to 65 mph) the rest of the way home.

Random Thoughts and Observations -
This guy reminded me of FJRay -

My route for the week -
Image Just a shade over 2,000 miles door to door.

The average age had to be in the very high 60's/low 70's. The same demographic that I see at Sturgis. FJR events are much "younger".

Pterodactyl was in charge of Group Camping, he said there were fewer campers and more RV's than he had ever seen before.

There aren't enough FJR's in the world to make an event like this work.

Attendees were upset that there weren't more vendors, apparently many vendors backed out due to poor attendance forecast. Those that were there seemed to be doing good business.

I prefer our smaller and more "Intimate" gatherings, I doubt I'll attend another one of these big events.
BikerGeek, Bugnatr, escapefjrtist and 7 others loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Re: A week at the "Geezerfest" 2021 BMW MOA Rally Great Falls MT

Post by extrememarine »

Thanks for sharing, John - looks like a decent ride even with tolerating the bigger crowd.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

bigjohnsd wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:07 am
There aren't enough FJR's in the world to make an event like this work.
There are probably enough Yamaha's, which would be the equivalent Rally.
The self bike wash is a good idea, unless you can find some talent to wash the bike for you and make it an even better idea.
I like your idea of camping.
Overall, looks like a fun time....Sturgis alternative for people with common sense?
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

4889 was the official attendance figure. Good for any MOA rally, but especially at one west of the Mississippi.

And John, there are those that think my ass is very cute. Although they be few in number, there are at least some none the less.

No doubt that the rally is a geezer fest, but the MOA seems to be having a growth spurt that includes a significant number of younger people. Even our local club has grown from around 80 to over 120 in the past year or so. The younger crowd are starting to take control and some of the older crowd are unhappy with the direction they are taking the club.... they will just fade away. But if you want a geezer fest, then go to a National Sidecar Rally. After about 8pm all one can hear is CPAP machines humming and the occasional defibrillator firing.
bigjohnsd, BikerGeek, Bugnatr and 3 others loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Nice pictures John! Looks like some nice riding.

Strange that Sturgis and a BMW rally would be an older demographic than an FJR event.

Never been to Sturgis but I have been to Daytona during the Rally. It's a pretty mixed bunch. Young people on sport bikes all the way up to old dudes on old Harleys. I would say Daytona is a younger overall demographic than an FJR event.

I like the smaller gatherings too. Our gathering has been about 20-30 people. Nice and manageable and you get to visit with almost everyone there for at least a bit.
bigjohnsd and BkerChuck loved this
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Post by dcarver »

But if you want a geezer fest, then go to a National Sidecar Rally. After about 8pm all one can hear is CPAP machines humming and the occasional defibrillator firing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigjohnsd, BikerGeek, and wheatonFJR loved this
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Followed a couple ADV threads on the rally. Hadn't ever paid much attention to it. Thanks for filling in the gaps BigJohn...nice turnout for the vendors that made the rally. Great trip!

~G
bigjohnsd loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere