Red Lodge Better Late Than Never

Public Ride & Trip report sub-forum.

Ride reports (RR) posted here are view-able to non-member readers, no log in will be required to visit this sub-forum - use this sub-forum if you want friends, family, co-workers who are not members of the site to be able to read and follow along.
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Re: Red Lodge Better Late Than Never

Post by 1911 »

Sorry for the pause.

I'm struggling with how to do day 5 already and I got side tracked.

It's easy to get side tracked when friends and family know that you have a little bit of equipment. And then there is the side track off the side track that is inevitable, when most of your stuff is Craigslist Gems.

Chain v shaft v gear v belt later.

A little teaser to keep your interest?

extrememarine, Hppants, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
Veteran

Post by 1911 »

BikerGeek wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:48 pm
1911 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:18 am The first motel is too “sketchy” looking for Mrs1911.
For the best sketchy motel story, read this post: https://fjriders.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 296#p89296

Enjoying the pictures and the write-up!
THAK YOU for that! I'll never worry about planning too much or camping too much again.
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:09 pm Image
If that image doesn't make you want to go motorcycle camping, then you aren't breathing.

Yeah, I've got broken bones and other reasons for not doing it. But that photo alone makes me want to give it another wack.

Again, awesome photo Mr. 1911. Show us how it's done Josey.
Thought that picture looked amazing until I thought I heard a bear or a snake. Back to the motel.
Festus, FastPappy, and wheatonFJR loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Deagle10 - wouldn't the snake slither away because it thought you would eat it? And I can see your concern about bears - they would probably want you to father it's cubs...
Deagle10 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:19 am
wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:09 pm If that image doesn't make you want to go motorcycle camping, then you aren't breathing.

Yeah, I've got broken bones and other reasons for not doing it. But that photo alone makes me want to give it another wack.

Again, awesome photo Mr. 1911. Show us how it's done Josey.
Thought that picture looked amazing until I thought I heard a bear or a snake. Back to the motel.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

extrememarine wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:13 pm Deagle10 - wouldn't the snake slither away because it thought you would eat it? And I can see your concern about bears - they would probably want you to father it's cubs...
Better to "give" than "receive"
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I think DesignFlaw is gonna haveta start fabricating more Threadshitter license plate holders. Yes Wayne, I think you get one, too! :D :D
Cav47 loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Just helping 1911 keep this thread at the top of the list while he's working on the next chapter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cav47 loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

extrememarine wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:07 pm Just helping 1911 keep this thread at the top of the list while he's working on the next chapter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You know, I say that to myself ALL the time...
:D
Veteran

Post by 1911 »

So, why did the FJR cross Oklahoma in a driving rain?

To grab onto the big crack nugget that is Durango-Silverton-Ouray, load it in the pipe, smoke it!

Day 5 starts in the dark as the firewood left over from last night gets used up.

The next couple hours alternate between standing by the fire drinking coffee/eating breakfast, striking camp and watching the sun come up. And cursing that duck.

We head north from Last Resort, turn west at Pagosa Springs and head to Durango. Coming into Durango the traffic gets a little heavy. We see electronic billboards advising travelers to check out US50CLOSUREINFO.COM or something like that. Seems odd, as far away from US50 as we are. In a week or so I’ll be glad I recalled those signs.

The traffic makes me a iittle nervous. I fear a slow moving parade is what we will be in where we are headed.

Just a little after leaving Durango on US550 northbound the traffic lightens dramatically. The weather is perfect.

THIS, is one of our “Why We Ride” days! Still gotta see that movie.

And riding is what we do. Ride, take it all in, enjoy. We end up with about a half dozen stills. I’m a rider that takes a few pix. A photographer that uses a motorcycle to get around would give y’all a lot better service on this day. But then again, a rider that makes an error/omission with a camera on The Million Dollar Highway is much better off than a photographer that makes an error/omission with a motorcycle on The Million Dollar Highway.

The GoPro Was there though. Along for the ride it captures some pretty cool stuff without any pilot distraction. I managed to whittle many gigs worth of fun down to the length of one song ;) Still, the best I can hope for is to jog your memory if you've been there, encourage you to do it if you haven't.

Day 5 ends tent up, dinner down, evening perfect, at Moorefield Campground, Mesa Verde National Park.
Hppants, Niehart, fontanaman and 8 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Absofabulouslyeffenoutstandin!

I got interrupted yesterday evening when I was watching the video...got back to at lunch today. Wow. Thanks for sharing, that took a long while to whittle down...loved the song/audio as well as your run up the Million Dollar Highway.

I also love your shot of the front going through Okie.
LKLD loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Had a friend who just got home from being in the area and said that they avoided the Million Dollar Highway because it's too stressful. I disagree, but sent them this video so they could virtually enjoy the road they skipped. Their reply? "I think he's exceeding the speed limit just a bit in some places." :D
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Veteran

Post by 1911 »

One day I will follow Wheat down that road and get some video of spectacular passing😀
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

:lol: :lol:

Spectacular is only five or more vehicles. Not really that high of a bar. But enough about that...whittlin all that video must have taken a ton of time.
Veteran

Post by 1911 »

In the two wheeled life box of chocolates day five was the confection perfection that will make you commit to the big variety pack over and over. Day six is one of the ones that you’re not real sure about. Won’t spit it out in disgust but you’ll work around the others like it until there is nothing else left.

We bedded down with great expectations for day 6 and without having checked a weather forecast. Morning surprise cold rain. We weren’t the only ones caught off gaurd. Pity the folks that chose stargazing through the tent roof sans rain fly.

Mesa Verde has a café that serves a great stack of pancakes for breakfast…….starting the weekend after we leave. For breakfast this visit we enjoy something processed and packaged and coffee from the campground store while we do laundry, along with a couple folks drying sleeping bags. At least it’s warm and dry in the laundromat. We are hoping for a break in the clouds but all we get is increasing wind. We wait as long as we can but finally pack up camp in a 43 degree sideways rain.

This is our second visit to Mesa Verde. The first one we had changed some plans and didn’t have time to visit the cave dwellings about 25 miles deeper into the park. After packing up it’s off toward the dwellings, at least the part of the park feature isn’t closed for renovation. There is some great scenery all the way up to the point that we decide to bail on the park’s main attraction and about face, hoping for better weather at lower elevation.

It sounds like the 1911s are 0 for 2 versus Mesa Verde. I know our kids would score it that way. They don’t think we do “tourist” correctly. Too much time spent traveling and not enough time at destinations. And the destinations need better accommodations and fancier food. Anybody else have trouble making family and friends understand that the ride IS the destination?

And by my scorecard, Mesa Verde hasn’t beaten us. It’s never really been the destination. On the way from home to The Grand Canyon or YFO or southern Utah, or whatever the destination is, if there is an actual destination, MV is a great campsite with great showers, laundry, store and café (in season). It’s cheaper than a motel and no more expensive than a KOA. The national park setting is a plus. We try to plan a lot of these multi-purpose stops on our trips. We’ll be back that way again.

Dropping down to Cortez gets us out of the nasty weather. County Road G takes us past Canyon of the Ancients National Monument. The free range horses hold our attention more though. Mrs1911 tries to get me to let her off so she can swipe a paint mare with little paint foal at side. G is paved, mostly. It’s a little rough and the pace is not fast. Too far in to backtrack and start over the pavement ends. I missed that on Google Earth. It turns out to be a short section of gravel, thankfully. We’ll do some gravel roads but I don’t like them as a surprise.

Not long after we hit pavement again we are in southern Utah, the focus of this trip, despite the title of this thread. There are a few sprinkles in the air and the wind is picking up. We are finally where I’ve been telling everybody we are headed-where the Road Runner cartoons were filmed. This is what we missed on our two other big trips and we are just cruising along and taking in the wonder.

Honey, I think the wind is getting stronger.

When Zumo says it’s time to turn toward Moki Dugway I think about the wind getting funneled through canyons and dirt roads and we roll on past.

Forest Gump Point! He was smart. He turned around.

Kind of silly how much I’ve been looking forward to being here.

A little past Gump Point things are getting a little sporty.

We can watch things progress , to a point, here

Zumo doesn’t show us any alternate lodging options that appear to get us to cover better than our plan A.

I’ve reserved what could be the ultimate Monument Valley tent site, at Goulding’s, a reservation operation in Monument Valley. Where I really want to stay is a primitive CG a little higher, a little darker and a little farther down the road-Sunset View CG. If conditions are just right, I’m willing to “burn” the reservation fee at Goulding’s in hopes of enjoying a more remote experience this night.

When we pull up to the store at Goulding’s I ask Maralee to dismount and brace the bike to keep it from blowing over while I go inside to check in. Gentlemanly thing to do huh? Scoping out our tent site, it’s depressing to admit defeat and give up on the idea of pitching a tent in these conditions. We go back down to the store and inquire about indoor lodging vacancies. The cabin right below our tent site is available. The tent site reservation fee can be applied to the cabin. We convert.

I don’t know what the official definition of “sandstorm” is but I’m going to say that when you feel sand and small rocks hitting your eardrum as you move stuff inside, you’re in a sandstorm. Q-tip depth soundings confirm sandstorm by my definition.

I’m kind of proud of my improvised bike protection.

I wish I had thought about the gas cap and windshield tracks.

We asked some fellows that worked at Gouldings if winds like this were a regular event. They said no, they hadn’t seen wind like this in years.

The view, or lack of, of Monument Valley from our cabin.

Not a housekeeping fail. This was coming in about as fast as we would sweep it up. We worried a little about our cabin coming undone for a moment or two. The wind did die down overnight.

BikerGeek, danh600, Niehart and 6 others loved this
Factor
Squid
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300AE

Post by Factor »

When you finally do get to the main attraction at MV, and by that I mean a guided tour of the cliff dwellings, you will not regret the time spent there. It will most likely require signing up the day before as they are popular. This coming from another that is all about the ride.
wheatonFJR loved this
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'64 MGB (in the queue)
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Wow. Bigger bag of popcorn ordered.
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:41 am Wow. Bigger bag of popcorn ordered.
+1 Gunny!

I’m really enjoying all of it, great job! 👍
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
goodman4
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2007 FJR1300, 2007 GL1800, 2019 MT10

Post by goodman4 »

Great report so far. Crazy about the sandstorm
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Excellent ride report. Enjoying it very much.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Love this little gem:
We are finally where I’ve been telling everybody we are headed-where the Road Runner cartoons were filmed.
:lol: :lol: