AE Shift Error Codes 22 & 26

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
yamafitter
Veteran
FJRModel: 06AE
Location: Outside of Toronto therefore off the edge of the world.

AE Shift Error Codes 22 & 26

Post by yamafitter »

I had my 2006 Antique FJR apart to service the rear suspension and had the swingarm out and a bunch of other stuff. After reassembly I had two error codes, Shift 22 & Shift 26. I checked out the shift foot switch and it appears to be defective. Basically the switch is a rheostat and the wiper that is supposed to change resistance when the shifter is operated has gone open. I called a local dealer and had heart palputations when I got quoted over $500 CAD for a new one and even if I ordered it the part is on backorder. The resale for a 15 year old AE is not much more than that.

I checked out all the online sites for used parts but being an AE specific part the pickings were very thin and I couldn’t find the part I was looking for. Fortunately I have my old mountain bike that I don't use anymore since getting my Intense Tazer e-MTB and the market is very hot. I should be able to get enough money out of my Kona Stinky Delux to pay for the switch. I went to the Ron Ayers website and was able for save over $100 and have it delivered right to my door. The error code Shift 26 should clear once I bleed the clutch system a few more times with luck.

I am really hoping to have the FJR functional before the Canada-USA border opens.
FJRPittsburgh and wheatonFJR loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Re: AE Shift Error Codes 22 & 26

Post by ionbeam »

Does the paddle shifter still work?
wheatonFJR loved this
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

ionbeam wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:17 pm Does the paddle shifter still work?
Unfortunately the foot shifter issue blocks ghe operation of the paddle shifter. A quick fix would be to get a 5kohm pot and adjust the pot to give the correct voltage and bypass the foot shifter. I may just MacGyver something like this just for the fun of it while I wait for the correct part.
mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

It's a bit of a coincidence that it occurred immediately after doing significant work on the bike unless you know the unit itself is mechanically damaged.

Are you absolutely sure all connectors are good and there is no damaged wiring? It would be a bit of a bummer if you put a new part in and it didn't fix it.

Even worse, normally you can't get refunds on electrical parts if you do find it was caused by wiring.
FJRPittsburgh and ionbeam loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

mcatrophy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:02 am It's a bit of a coincidence that it occurred immediately after doing significant work on the bike unless you know the unit itself is mechanically damaged.

Are you absolutely sure all connectors are good and there is no damaged wiring? It would be a bit of a bummer if you put a new part in and it didn't fix it.

Even worse, normally you can't get refunds on electrical parts if you do find it was caused by wiring.
With the part off the bike I connected my meter across the sensor and measured 5 kohms as expected. When I connect to the wiper post on the sensor it reads open so the switch is definitely defective. I have temporarily connected a 5 kohm pot in place of the sensor and set the voltage for 2.5 vdc and was able to clear the fault.

The larger issue is the Shift 26 error. I am finding that I cannot get the air bled out of the system even after many efforts. I can't get the cylinder rebuild kit since everything is only available from the warehouse in Japan. There are basically no AE specific parts in North America and I have tried both Canadian and USA suppliers so I had to special order a new Clutch Actuator sub assembly, a new hose and a new slave cylinder that Yamaha calls a Push Lever Component for some reason. The wait is now on to see if the slow boat from Japan beats the first snows here in the Great White North.

I have an awful feeling that I am pissing good money after bad since my bike is 15 years old but this is the last chance that I am giving it to behave or it may find itself going for a one way trip to the junkers.
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

After a few weeks of messing about and some consultations with FJR Guru, Ray I was finally able to clear all the shift fault codes today on my antique 2006 FJR1300 AE. I had to completely remove the Clutch Actuator Assembly located awkwardly by the swingarm and disassemble the Master Cyliinder Sub Assembly. I also disassembled the Clutch Actuator motor and cleaned the commutator and checked the brushes.

I then disassembled what Yamaha calls the Push Lever Comp but what I call the Slave Cylinder and cleaned the piston and the bore. I also lubed all the rubber seals with O-Ring lube before reassembly. At first I was having a very difficult time getting the air bled out of the system after reassembly. I then replaced the speed bleeder with the originally bleed valve and then my hand vac pump worked much better at extracting the air from the system. It took a number of tries but I finally got the air out and the Shift Fault 26 finally cleared.

I have just about completed reassembly and the weather should clear on Friday. The "A" Plan is to take the FJR on a test ride around Rice Lake.

I was almost at the point where I thought the bike may be dead but it may have some more twisties left in her yet.
FJRPittsburgh, D-Eagle, El Toro Joe and 3 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Bill, hope you can save it.

If not, there's an 09 for sale!!
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:06 pm Bill, hope you can save it.

If not, there's an 09 for sale!!
When I replace the FJR it will be with something lighter like a Tenere 700. Much better for exploring gravel,secondary roads and two track trails.
FJRPittsburgh and gixxerjasen loved this
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Post by dcarver »

yamafitter wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:43 pm After a few weeks of messing about and some consultations with FJR Guru, Ray I was finally able to clear all the shift fault codes today on my antique 2006 FJR1300 AE. I had to completely remove the Clutch Actuator Assembly located awkwardly by the swingarm and disassemble the Master Cyliinder Sub Assembly. I also disassembled the Clutch Actuator motor and cleaned the commutator and checked the brushes.

I then disassembled what Yamaha calls the Push Lever Comp but what I call the Slave Cylinder and cleaned the piston and the bore. I also lubed all the rubber seals with O-Ring lube before reassembly. At first I was having a very difficult time getting the air bled out of the system after reassembly. I then replaced the speed bleeder with the originally bleed valve and then my hand vac pump worked much better at extracting the air from the system. It took a number of tries but I finally got the air out and the Shift Fault 26 finally cleared.

I have just about completed reassembly and the weather should clear on Friday. The "A" Plan is to take the FJR on a test ride around Rice Lake.

I was almost at the point where I thought the bike may be dead but it may have some more twisties left in her yet.
GREAT news, as another 2006 guy keeping the old gurl alive! I admire your perseverance.
yamafitter loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Guru, my butt.... Fitz came up with all the answers on his own, he just wanted a coffee one day and I was simply a sympathetic ear. I only listened because I needed my spring compressor back and needed a ride to a friend's house.... I don't know jack about AE's.
BikerGeek, FJRPittsburgh, gixxerjasen and 1 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:44 pm Guru, my butt.... Fitz came up with all the answers on his own, he just wanted a coffee one day and I was simply a sympathetic ear. I only listened because I needed my spring compressor back and needed a ride to a friend's house.... I don't know jack about AE's.
I needed Timmy’s & Ray for inspiration.
BikerGeek, FJRPittsburgh, El Toro Joe and 1 others loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

When they open the border, it sounds like some of us need to come up north for an AE tech day. :)
Some of that Canadian coffee would be nice too.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

That's great news Billy! I thought you gave up on her. I'm sure she has lots more life left. Hope to see you soon at one of our usual venues with some of our most unusual friends.
wheatonFJR loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250 L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

FJRPittsburgh wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:06 pm That's great news Billy! I thought you gave up on her. I'm sure she has lots more life left. Hope to see you soon at one of our usual venues with some of our most unusual friends.
Plan F (in honour of the flunkie Justin Trudeau) is to be able to make it down for EOM and then the fall tech day at Andy's for more betting on the pizza guy/gal.

The test ride consisted of a short run north of town in search of the perfect butter tart...

I was however distracted by the lemon tarts that were calling my name...

After the tart & coffee break I went over to my local Yamaha dealer to order some new brake pads and then continued on a short ride home. Once the bike was in the garage and on the lift I drained both the rear drive gear oil and engine oil to freshen up both fluids before getting back out again for a more substantial ride.

Once we had that all taken care of it was time for a celebratory refreshment...

I always purchase the family size.

I can't make CFR this weekend due to dirt bike race event commitments but I will get up to Wilmo in the near future for perogies and cabbage rolls. After all it is only a three hour ride from here and it is the best perogies and cabbage rolls on the planet.
May even get Ray to tag along.

NOTE to Don Carver - Since this run was less than 100 km I am submitting this as my Certification Run to the CBA for 2021.
BikerGeek, FJRPittsburgh, and wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hey! I think yer clutch handle fell off!
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:00 pm Hey! I think yer clutch handle fell off!
I was wondering why I had some extra nuts and bolts left over. Thanks for noticing that Wheatie.
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Got any of that Rye stuff left? You really don’t share that with yer family do ya?

Hey Fitter! It’s good to see ya posting.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
yamafitter
Veteran

Post by yamafitter »

wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:17 pm Got any of that Rye stuff left? You really don’t share that with yer family do ya?

Not only do I NOT share my Forty Creek Whiskey, I sold my family to medical research to buy more Forty Creek.
How do you think they came up with the COVID vaccine so quickly?
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

yamafitter wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:39 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:17 pm Got any of that Rye stuff left? You really don’t share that with yer family do ya?

Not only do I NOT share my Forty Creek Whiskey, I sold my family to medical research to buy more Forty Creek.
How come the border's still closed then? You hosers angry that Tampa's Canadiens beat your Canadiens??
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:05 pm
yamafitter wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:39 pm

How come the border's still closed then? You hosers angry that Tampa's Canadiens beat your Canadiens??
Tampa's Russians beat the Canadiens. Especially one Russian in particular.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.