Side Case Cover

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Bust
Veteran
FJRModel: 68' Schwinn Stingray

Re: Side Case Cover

Post by Bust »

BikerGeek wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:07 pm
raYzerman wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 am The 4 rivets to the hinges are 4mm or 5/32".
Do the rivets need to drilled out & re-riveted?
No, just pee on 'em they'll dissolve... Yeah drill them out chimp dick.
You ever see a grown man naked Billy?
Bust
Veteran
FJRModel: 68' Schwinn Stingray

Post by Bust »

So what have you done shit head?
wheatonFJR loved this
You ever see a grown man naked Billy?
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

Bust wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:50 am So what have you done shit head?
Went riding yesterday. I may just wait until Tech Day to mess with the cover.
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
PJ4863
Casual Rider

Post by PJ4863 »

All right.. who said this was easy??
Drilled out the rivets.. piece of cake... sharp rivet cut my finger, bleeding early in the process. par for the course. cover is now separated from the main body of the bag, only held on by the tensioner. attempt 1. to pry off the lid.. failed. Run up 2 flights of stairs, retrieve heat producing device from wife's side of the sink, run back down stairs. Fire it up... softened the plastic of the cover, but mastic is still on pretty darn tight. Attemp #3, wedge open lid from inner piece with some cut down 2x4. Blow some more. Attempt yet again to peel back the lid. Lather rinse repeat with no discernable progress. Retrieved metal reinforcement from the bottom of the bag, removed remainder of rivets and cleaned up. Decided that if I couldn't easily remove the cover, that the odds of it coming off down the road are slim. Reinstalled pop rivets successfully in one try! Used some steel, returned blowdryer and swapped for nail polish to paint the rivets to avoid rust. Bag reinstalled on the bike. Successful repair? you be the judge. However, its not coming off anytime soon :)
D-Eagle loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

We fixed Geek's at techday.

We did not remove hinges. we used a heat gun to apply heat to the inside half of the outer shell and slowly worked the shell off. We used my fingers and a flat putty knife to work the shell away from the liner. Geek managed to only half cook my fingers. RTV applied and he stuck it back together.

Festus, Cav47, and PhilJet09 loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
BikerGeek
Veteran

Post by BikerGeek »

extrememarine wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:34 pm We fixed Geek's at techday.

We did not remove hinges. we used a heat gun to apply heat to the inside half of the outer shell and slowly worked the shell off. We used my fingers and a flat putty knife to work the shell away from the liner. Geek managed to only half cook my fingers. RTV applied and he stuck it back together.
Yep - I was thinking aboot updating this thread last night. A couple of additions to Wayne's comments:
  • The heat gun was on low and we kept it no closer than 4 inches or so from the inside of the lid. I didn't want to completely melt anything important - just warm up the adhesive enough to pop the lid off. Hell - we didn't even melt off the damn lawyer sticker on the inside of the lid!
  • Once apart, I wiped both sides down with mineral spirits and let it dry before applying the RTV. For the record, that is now the cleanest place on my bike.
  • Once back together, I was gonna use a ratchet strap to apply some pressure as the RTV dried. Well, let's just say that ratchet straps and I are not on a first-name basis, so I placed the whole thing lid-side down and set two 5-gallon containers of used oil on it and let it sit for a couple of hours. So far, so good.
  • Sorry aboot the fingers, Wayne. I was actually trying not to cook 'em.
El Toro Joe loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face