EZPass mount

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

EZPass mount

Post by Steel_Gin »

New York state has gone cashless for their toll collecting and has completely messed up my system to get my Ezpass to read consistently. In their "wisdom" or wis-dumb, rather than leave the readers that were already in place at the toll plazas they are taking them down and have installed readers (spent 100s of Millions dollars) over the Thruway to read your pass going 65 mph. I have the pass mounted to my left forearm and what I had been doing when passing slowly through the plaza is stick my arm out and it would read every time. Because of traffic there has been a few times I have not stuck my arm out as I pass under the readers at speed, resulted in no reads and I got charged a toll. (I have a plan that I can travel on the Thruway for free for the first 30 miles.) My license plate is register on my account with the tag I am using; So, the stories of reading your plate and it charging your account accordingly to completely false. I have the statements to prove it. I am surprised that it doesn't read consistently since it sits facing up on my forearm but that's a different discussion.

What have others been doing to mount their EZPass? Has anyone tried making something that would utilize the unused mirror mount on the left handlebar next to the clutch reservoir? As much as I don't want to do it I have thought about mounting it at the bottom of the windshield using the plastic Velcro they supply with them. What I think might happen is the wind will pull it off. Has anyone here done this and how well did it hold? Since there is a slight curve to the windshield I think the Velcro might not fully seat to give it a solid hold........plus I really don't want to get into remembering to pull it off and on. For sure I am going to forget and the thing is going to be stolen or forget to put it back on.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Re: EZPass mount

Post by N4HHE »

Riverpass reads a $0.50 RFID tag affixed to the inside of windshields of my cars and truck. Well, I exaggerate. That is the 100 piece price. Thousands are throw-away cheap. Researched this for scoring motorcycle races.

That you get charged for their misreads is deliberate incompetence on their part in their favor.

Riverpass has failed to read my RFID tags but knows the license plates on my account so they billed exactly as if they had read the chip. Do not have one on FJR. No plans on crossing the Ohio River on I-65 at KY/IN.

edit: speleeng.
Last edited by N4HHE on Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel_Gin loved this
Brodie
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008 Advanced Edition

Post by Brodie »

Duct tape it to the top of your helmet.

Brodie
😁
El Toro Joe, Jalingo, Steel_Gin and 2 others loved this
Professionals: built The Titanic
Amateurs: - With God’s Blessing - built the Ark.

Which boat would you rather to sail on?
Brodie
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008 Advanced Edition

Post by Brodie »

Duct tape it to the top of your helmet.

Just don’t cover the bar code, they need to read it at speed.

Brodie
😁
Steel_Gin loved this
Professionals: built The Titanic
Amateurs: - With God’s Blessing - built the Ark.

Which boat would you rather to sail on?
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

If my pass is not read, my account gets charged anyway because they pull it up by plate, at least for tollbooth passes.

My transponder is mounted on the beak of my bike. Readers in my area have gotten better. The tollbooth readers failed to read my transponder, regardless of location, about 1/4 of the time. Velocity may have been involved… Express lane readers, so far, have a higher read rate, for me.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

I mounted mine on top of the clutch reservoir. Used 3m velcro hanging tape (for hanging pictures). It comes off without leaving any residue. I also put a little velcro strap around it to keep it extra secured. When traveling around Chicago it read all 4 times when I drove under the express lane readers. Not sure how those readers compare to the ones where you are. It is securely fastened, but not sure how convenient it would be as a daily driver to put on and remove.
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
FastPappy
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 AE

Post by FastPappy »

Steel_Gin wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:53 pm New York state has gone cashless for their toll collecting and has completely messed up my system to get my Ezpass to read consistently. In their "wisdom" or wis-dumb, rather than leave the readers that were already in place at the toll plazas they are taking them down and have installed readers (spent 100s of Millions dollars) over the Thruway to read your pass going 65 mph. I have the pass mounted to my left forearm and what I had been doing when passing slowly through the plaza is stick my arm out and it would read every time. Because of traffic there has been a few times I have not stuck my arm out as I pass under the readers at speed, resulted in no reads and I got charged a toll. (I have a plan that I can travel on the Thruway for free for the first 30 miles.) My license plate is register on my account with the tag I am using; So, the stories of reading your plate and it charging your account accordingly to completely false. I have the statements to prove it. I am surprised that it doesn't read consistently since it sits facing up on my forearm but that's a different discussion.

What have others been doing to mount their EZPass? Has anyone tried making something that would utilize the unused mirror mount on the left handlebar next to the clutch reservoir? As much as I don't want to do it I have thought about mounting it at the bottom of the windshield using the plastic Velcro they supply with them. What I think might happen is the wind will pull it off. Has anyone here done this and how well did it hold? Since there is a slight curve to the windshield I think the Velcro might not fully seat to give it a solid hold........plus I really don't want to get into remembering to pull it off and on. For sure I am going to forget and the thing is going to be stolen or forget to put it back on.
I do have mine mounted on the windshield with velcro the only problem I've had is when I used to commute and constantly removing it for security the velcro would wear out and need to be replaced. Never had a problem with wind but bumpy roads when it was warn out could knock it loose. One time coming home over the VZ bridge hit a bump as I approached the plaza and it came off. Couldn't stop so rode over to a manned booth and explained what happened to the toll taker who actually walked out and retrieved it for me. I check it often now and haven't had a problem since. :)
bigjohnsd and El Toro Joe loved this
Pappy 09AE
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

I had mine mounted to the inside of the FJR windscreen using the 3M DUal Loc Tape that came with my NY EZPass - never had a problem.

EZ Pass doesn't work around Denver, but if you ride real close to either the edge of the lane - the center edges work especially well, the cameras can't read your license plate. I've used the C470 bypass numerous times with no charges ever received. YMMV
PhilJet09 loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

I have had EZ Pass for about 15 years. I got the interior device which almost always worked with my car and mostly worked with my motorcycle. The EZ Pass is an active device, it's powered to deliver a signal to the toll booth reader, which makes it a flexible use device.

At ~8 years I had to have my pass replaced due to battery life, with about the same effectiveness as the first pass. When they started high speed drive-thru booths my pass stopped working from my motorcycle. No matter the pass placement, orientation or my lane placement my pass would not be read. The same became true for the new gantry tolls over the road. My friends with a (big, ugly) Pass mounted to their bikes have zero problem. But, being affixed to the bike means that it can't be shared with my car. Not that EZ Pass would intentionally put you in a position where you MUST have two or more passes.

The good news is that my EZ Pass account was still billed without penalty. Looking at my EZ bill, if the Pass was from my car the billing showed the Pass S/N, if it was my bike it was billed to the license plate number. The only time I ever had a problem with my bike was in NJ at a gated booth. No read, no raise the gate. I created a major traffic jam while the toll taker tried to sort out why my valid Pass wouldn't raise the gate.

In some areas, especially in the south east the toll transponders are a passive RFID device that responds to a ping from the toll booth. Mounting these devices have some detailed specifications. Only the SunPass Pro is portable between vehicles.
FastPappy
Veteran

Post by FastPappy »

The EZ Pass for my bike is motorcycle specific. Different charges and discounts related to motorcycles as far as I know. :?
Pappy 09AE
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

ionbeam wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:31 pm In some areas, especially in the south east the toll transponders are a passive RFID device that responds to a ping from the toll booth. Mounting these devices have some detailed specifications. Only the SunPass Pro is portable between vehicles.
Riverpass at I-65 KY/IN uses passive inexpensive RFID tags and is pretty free about issuing multiple per account. I have 3.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

FastPappy wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:51 pm The EZ Pass for my bike is motorcycle specific. Different charges and discounts related to motorcycles as far as I know. :?
Made me look. The only discount NH offers is for commercial use and daily commuters. NH E-ZPass says the interior and exterior passes are suitable for motorcycle use. Only the interior pass doesn't work for motorcycles. My EZ account does correctly show my Motorcycle as a MC pass.
FastPappy
Veteran

Post by FastPappy »

Guess it's area specific but I'm pretty sure bikes are charged a lower rate than cars, trucks etc. But they get you coming and going. (Pun intended). :D
Pappy 09AE
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

My tag is motorcycle specific and charged at a cheaper rate than four plus wheels.

I like the idea of mounting on the clutch reservoir with the 3M Dual Loc Tape.

What size are the threads and how deep is the mirror mount on the clutch reservoir? I'd like to play and see if there is something I can make to utilize that.
Snowflake
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014ES

Post by Snowflake »

Mine is on the inside of the windshield, almost at the bottom. Used some heavy duty Velcro adhesive strip. Been there for years, works fine.
Steel_Gin loved this
mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

Steel_Gin wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:50 pm ...
What size are the threads and how deep is the mirror mount on the clutch reservoir? I'd like to play and see if there is something I can make to utilize that.
Thread size: Diameter 10mm, pitch: 1.25mm. Be aware it's not threaded all the way down, the threaded depth is something like 15mm.

Please note, my bike is the YCC-S variant, but I'm pretty sure the sizes are the same throughout.

Easy enough to pull the plastic plug and see: (click on image for larger view)

You can use a brake calliper bolt to check the thread size:

Used it for my satnav and heated vest controller mount:
Image Image
Steel_Gin loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
PJ4863
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2004

Post by PJ4863 »

I had mine on the inside of my windshield. I too had the NY M ezpass. It Always read. The tollbooth cameras were dependent on bike width believe it or not, so they read much better when the saddlebags were on. I'm pretty sure I've always had the high speed ones read too. I used dual-lock for that. YMMV though, I hit a railroad crossing in Indiana doing roughly 60 mph.. wheels stayed on the ground, no extreme hit to the suspension.. but the EZ pass decided to vacate the premises. Turn around was 1.5 miles down the road, and I'm sure EZ pass is going to ding me for damage when I have to turn it back in.
Steel_Gin loved this
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012

Post by FJRfarrier »

I kept mine in a mesh drawstring pouch that was ziptied to the dash shelf. I didn't like the idea of trusting velcro or sticky tape. And the pouch also allowed me to take it out when I didn't need it.

Even without the dash shelf, could possibly come up with some way to attach the pouch to the bike if needed.
Steel_Gin loved this
I haven’t made any really bad decisions lately... I’m getting bored.

IBA #60909
Andraise
Squid
FJRModel: 2014 ES Red

Post by Andraise »

Camera mount on dash. Never had a problem since. Image
danh600 loved this
BeardBarreBokeh
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2019

Post by BeardBarreBokeh »

Mine lives in the glove-box. I've never needed to take it out; always seems to work through the lid. If I get concerned or want to be overly careful, I place it in the top pocket of my tank bag.

No issues yet.