Garmin GSM 30 antenna lead?

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Garmin GSM 30 antenna lead?

Post by griff »

Looks like the antenna lead from my GSM 30 XMRadio puck to my gps is shitting the bed. I replaced this a million years ago, but can't seem to find one out there anywhere. I would even take a GSM 30 non functioning puck with the intact lead if any one has it. Taking a chance posting this on Friday that the threadshitters will jump in.
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Re: Garmin GSM 30 antenna lead?

Post by BikerGeek »

I have one laying around somewhere that I'm not using any more. Perhaps we can work out a deal...

One thing to consider - from what I recall, the subscription is tied to the ID on that specific puck, right? Can you transfer your subscription?

ETA: You're talking aboot the Garmin GXM30 SiriusXM satellite antenna, right?
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
griff
Veteran

Post by griff »

Thanks Geek. What I really need is just the lead from the puck. It can be disconnected and swapped to another puck. Yeah, if I change the whole puck I need to change subscriptions. I just changed GPSs and it seems to work ok, but the lead going into the puck is still pretty rotted and should be changed.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

griff wrote: ↑Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:24 am ...Taking a chance posting this on Friday that the threadshitters will jump in.
This is so dang tempting... :lol:
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
griff
Veteran

Post by griff »

wheatonFJR wrote: ↑Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:26 pm
griff wrote: ↑Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:24 am ...Taking a chance posting this on Friday that the threadshitters will jump in.
This is so dang tempting... :lol:
I knew it.πŸ–•
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

griff wrote: ↑Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:00 pmThanks Geek. What I really need is just the lead from the puck. It can be disconnected and swapped to another puck. Yeah, if I change the whole puck I need to change subscriptions. I just changed GPSs and it seems to work ok, but the lead going into the puck is still pretty rotted and should be changed.
Griff,

You may be able to sheath the old cable with heat-shrink tubing, to extend its' life. Some heat-shrink tubing will reduce (shrink) by 50% with heat, some will shrink by 30%. Specify which type you will want, when buying.

If you are not able to find a good cable, then I would try to find the correct connector, into the GPS. You may be able to use some existing cable, such as phone cord or similar, and simply add the correct connector, then connect to the puck. You may need to construct the cable itself, either braiding or twisting the wires (like a rope) to keep it flexible, or use bulk ribbon cable. Heat shrink tubing (with or without the internal hot-glue) will make the job look professional.

HTH.
wheatonFJR loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
griff
Veteran

Post by griff »

Thanks Red. I did wrap the connector right at the puck, this is where the issue is. Plugged in another GPS and it worked. At least for now. The connector into the Garmin 550 is actually a min B USB connector, so that could work if I had to.
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

griff wrote: ↑Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:00 pm What I really need is just the lead from the puck.
Ah. Gotchya.
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
Red
Veteran
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

griff wrote: ↑Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pmThanks Red. I did wrap the connector right at the puck, this is where the issue is. Plugged in another GPS and it worked. At least for now. The connector into the Garmin 550 is actually a min B USB connector, so that could work if I had to.
Griff,

Better and better. You can start with any good USB cable with the correct plug, and simply wire the far end into the GPS puck.
A bare mating connector will make it easier to trace the wiring in that tiny USB connector on the new cable. :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Red
Veteran

Post by Red »

Red wrote: ↑Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:19 pmA bare mating connector will make it easier to trace the wiring in that tiny USB connector on the new cable.
Griff,

Bare mating mini-USB-b receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/Right-Angle-Fema ... 00OK61UMC/
wheatonFJR loved this
Cheers,
Red

John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

Griff.
I have a good fully functioning GSM30. Yours for shipping cost.
PhilJet09 and wheatonFJR loved this
griff
Veteran

Post by griff »

John - pm sent.