Gen 1 Fork Rebuild

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Gen 1 Fork Rebuild

Post by Festus »

Looked like a good set of videos on doing the rebuild. Some interesting tips. I hadn't seen it before and couldn't find where it had been posted before. Sadly, no Gen 3, but still good and applies to a lot of people.

Last edited by Festus on Mon May 31, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: Gen 1 and 2 Fork Rebuild

Post by wheatonFJR »

Is that gixxerjasen?

Jk...Thanks for posting.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

Good videos. I like the use of the mighty vac for setting the oil level.
get out and ride! IBA #54706
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Those were Gen1 forks.... can't see how you can gixxerjasen those, no middle bushing.

Although he has good shop practices, as a general fork reassembly, I'll nitpick a bit.... Title says FJR, but some of these videos can mislead you terribly. Best consult your manual for model/Gen specific.

Interesting he hones the lower tubes, which in effect if roughing up the surface in a cross-hatch pattern. I don't think anybody hones unless there are scored tubes, at least I don't. He might be onto something, but being aluminum, I'd say that honing might be short-lived.

I leave the chrome tubes smooth and only fix nicks in them if any. Hope his hammer didn't hit the tubes... why not use a piece of PVC pipe as a driver on his seal install tool.

He put the stock springs back in, which are terribly undersprung for that bike, at minimum would need to crank the preload all the way in. He put them in upside down to the manual if anybody cares. I'd upsell on aftermarket springs!!

I use a syringe to set oil level, Mighty Vac would work great. Oil level he set is WAY low.... only aftermarket springs require a lower oil level (120-130mm). Most FJR's oil levels are 40-50mm more than he did.

Dunno where he got his specs for damping settings, it's wrong, but I gather he is trying to set them at "Yamaha standard" settings.... Again, consult model/Gen specific manual.

Because he used stock springs, standard settings, just shows you how easily he was able to compress the completed fork.....

Gen 2/3/4 A's have middle bushings, need a special tool for that. On Gen3/4 left and right cartridges are different, best do one at a time. Note also, when dumping the oil on Gen3/4, good chance your rebound adjuster spring and tapered needle will be in the bottom of your drain pan, so good idea to push on that little rod to ensure you have springback.

On Gen4 2016+ there is a specific procedure to set the depth of the fork cap to enable rebound adjustment, all others, run them right down.

I did not search out his videos on how he got the forks apart, but again, these weren't Gen2/3/4 and don't have middle bushings to complicate matters....
N4HHE and FJRPittsburgh loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Im not gonna nitpick the nitpicker, but... :stickpoke:

I know, you put forks together drunk ONE time, and it is never forgotten. :D
FJRPittsburgh and raYzerman loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Auburn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:08 pm Good videos. I like the use of the mighty vac for setting the oil level.
Meh. I use an old empty Formula 409 spray bottle. Set the straw on spray pump in fork to desired depth. Pump the lever spraying oil into the bottle until it sucks air.

To hold depth I use a 1x2. staple nail the straw to the side carefully driven to let the straw slip for adjustment. Thought about getting fancy making a clamp with another piece of wood but this worked so I quit enhancing.
FJRPittsburgh loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Re: Gen 1 Fork Rebuild

Post by raYzerman »

This is what I use..... find them elsewhere for less....... can even make your own.
https://traxxion.com/product/fork-oil-level-gauge/
Auburn
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Auburn »

I have the motion-pro version of the syringe and depth gage. Problem, is the rubber in the syringe swells after a couple of uses (even after cleaning the excess out.) I have an extra mighty-vac, so that seems like a good use of it for me. The other problem with the metal straws, is they have small openings, and with higher weight oils, they take a lot of vacuum in the syringe to pull the oil in. Not every fork uses the same oil, especially the ones that are modified, same with other makes of forks.
get out and ride! IBA #54706
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Same problem, rinsing with isopropanol and silicone grease helped extend the life.... but I bought a 5-pack of cheap plastic syringes that have no rubbers.... was gifted a MightyVac missing the reservoir a while back.... gonna make one up one day soon.
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

My Formula 409 squirt pump is 20 years old. Put away wet after use.