Topic Locked and General Update

Forum Guidelines and Information, Status, etc.
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Re: Topic Locked and General Update

Post by CollingsBob »

NTXFJR wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:23 pm
Wheatie's comment on campfire discussion is a good one because people tend to watch what they say a little more carefully when they're face to face. Say something too far out of line to the wrong dude and there just might be an ass beating. Can we maybe remember that concept and watch what we say and how we say it a little closer next time we play keyboard shit talker?
How about a Zoom call to meet each other, put a face to a name?
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

It was my thread that was locked. Since the other gun thread was going so well I (mistakenly) thought we could discuss this gun-related topic as adults. Obviously, I was wrong.

Waynes bat, ball, and field. I am fine with having the thread locked.
CollingsBob and Bounce loved this
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Bob - zoom, google meet, etc. all provide costs free options for such a gathering - who knows, might be nice to say hello on a Wednesday evening every few weeks...

We did have an issue with our county 4H meeting last week via Zoom - we ran over the scheduled time and it booted us off. We have a solution for the next one, but it's something to be aware of with the free services.

Like I told CAV - "if you plan it, they will come..."

Wayne
CollingsBob wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:19 pm
NTXFJR wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:23 pm
Wheatie's comment on campfire discussion is a good one because people tend to watch what they say a little more carefully when they're face to face. Say something too far out of line to the wrong dude and there just might be an ass beating. Can we maybe remember that concept and watch what we say and how we say it a little closer next time we play keyboard shit talker?
How about a Zoom call to meet each other, put a face to a name?
CollingsBob loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:46 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:39 am
Bounce wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:26 am Chill. We all knew that the original claim of "no censorship" and "light moderation" wasn't sustainable. Discussion forums always need administration.
Who’s “WE”?
Who's "WE"?
Did you have some side bets going on regarding this forum with your circle of friends or something?
"We" being anyone who has seen a completely un-moderated forum. Nothing conspiratorial or untoward.
wheatonFJR loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

Wayne is no Iggy. :lol:

I will just say I really enjoy this place and don't feel it's over moderated.
HotRodZilla, Uncle Hud, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Like all sandboxes, there has to be a boss, otherwise the cats will keep using it as a litter box. Herding cats ain't that easy.
Rule #1, The Boss is always right.
Rule #2, When the Boss is wrong, refer to Rule #1.
bigjohnsd, escapefjrtist, Uncle Hud and 3 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

There's a huge difference between saying "you are a moron" versus "your idea/opinion is moronic". The thread I'm referring to had not moved into the former. My issue is that it was pre-emptive AND it's in the Backyard area where you have to consciously join with full knowledge that "politics" are going to be discussed. I felt and still feel it was heavy-handed. As you all should know by know by now, I'm not shy with my thoughts. Wayne knew it wasn't going to be sunshine and rainbows running a forum. I mean, I get shit on because some people think $35 is too much for an event, or they didn't like their lemonade at the banquet. It's part of the role.

Let me make something clear, at least from my perspective, I can say to Wayne "quit being a fucktard" and still give him a big hug when I see him. I also expect people who know me to feel like they can call me out when I'm being an asshole (or a fucktard). Shockingly it happens.

How many times growing up did we get in fights with friends and we get past it and learn. If I didn't give a shit about this place I'd be silent. I love this place, and all the cool people I've met. Wayne and I have gone around before and I'm sure we will in the future. Doesn't mean I think he's the devil.

The devil is much better looking.
HotRodZilla, bigjohnsd, PhilJet09 and 2 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

0face wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:30 pm ...The devil is much better looking.
Captain Obvious!
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

0face wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:30 pm ...knew it wasn't going to be sunshine and rainbows running a forum
But where are the freaking unicorns everyone promised?

0face wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:30 pm . I mean, I get shit on because some people think $35 is too much for an event, or they didn't like their lemonade at the banquet.
And why are the t-shirts $20 a piece? I can get them for a $1.50 (if I order 1 million with no artwork, pay $1000 shipping, and order the 5 years in advance...)

Love you too brother...

Later today I'll share how Ray saved me from 'gixxer-ing' a pivot arm and needle bearings...

Wayne
HotRodZilla, PhilJet09, Auburn and 1 others loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

So. Um, I think we have an admission from hmfic that he’s all about sex with um, unicorns.

This thread needs to be LOCKED right now!

:D
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

If I had unicorn(s), then I'd probably have less energy to focus how to change your post count to -1 and for resetting 0face's password 67 times an hour tomorrow...
wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:07 pm So. Um, I think we have an admission from hmfic that he’s all about sex with um, unicorns.

This thread needs to be LOCKED right now!

:D
Cav47 and wheatonFJR loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

Pterodactyl
Veteran
FJRModel: R1250GSA w/ Sidecar

Post by Pterodactyl »

Wayne, Yours must be a trying position because you must deal with er....ah... certain people. I find it calming to keep this book. It has blank pages that I can fill-in as needed. When people get to me I can just sit in a darkened room, sip whisky, quietly thumb through the pages and fantasize on what will someday come about.

Uncle Hud and wheatonFJR loved this
Kevin
The Outpost
Silver City, MT
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Pterodactyl wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:39 pm Wayne, Yours must be a trying position because you must deal with er....ah... certain people. I find it calming to keep this book. It has blank pages that I can fill-in as needed. When people get to me I can just sit in a darkened room, sip whisky, quietly thumb through the pages and fantasize on what will someday come about.

You only have ONE volume? Wow, you ARE a patient one!
HotRodZilla and D-Eagle loved this
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

I looked and lurked on this forum for a very long time before I decided to join. By the time I made that decision I had also thought very carefully about this Backyard section. I did NOT join that section of this forum. So far everyone on this forum is a Friend. I have no desire to put myself in a situation where we might have to make a choice to not be friends. Therefore, the Backyard is not for me.

Since I don't know enough about this locked thread to pass judgement, I won't try. What I can say is that this forum is about the least moderated section of the internet and the HMFIC is concerned about his flock without trying to oppress them. I recently dug around for some old RRs in that Other Forum and the entire time I was there I felt myself getting more and more angry. My feelings of bitterness due to... Anyway, Wayne is NOTHING like what I recall from Other Forums and he cares about us.

Let's return the favor and act like we care about Wayne. If I put Wayne in a situation where he has to make a Moderator Decision over something I post I am ashamed and sorry. Not because I am a sheep, not because I am a follower but because I respect the man.

YMMV
bigjohnsd, Hppants, Bounce and 5 others loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
0face
Contributor
Veteran

Topic Locked and General Update

Post by 0face »

Redfish wrote:
Let's return the favor and act like we care about Wayne.
That’s a hard pass, and while we’re at it GFY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wheatonFJR loved this
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride

Post by extrememarine »

Pterodactyl wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:39 pm Wayne, Yours must be a trying position because you must deal with er....ah... certain people.
Interesting idea - reminds me of why I do this...

I did what I did to keep this forum running back in 2012 because there was an event in my life a few years before that was without exception the darkest day I've ever experienced. In that dark hour of need, the strength I needed to fight through to the light came from my friends here. Those individuals saved my life, my soul, saved my wife's life and forced me to not dwell on the past but focus on what lay ahead.

Sappy as it may sound, until you're laying in a hospital bed with broken ribs and being told you may never walk again, writhing in pain because some jackwad(s) called over and over or rode their motorcycle 8 hours to make you laugh and won't stop making you laugh, you can only imagine the sense of debt I feel I owe this community. Many know that back story, but it keeps me focused and dedicated to the cause with a level of tolerance I never imagined was possible.

I do enjoy a glass of bourbon now and then, followed by 2 or 3 more after a, "that mother trucker posted what?" every now and then... :)

Wayne
0face, Hppants, Bounce and 2 others loved this
Ride There!

IBA#60836

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Man, there are so many DIFFERENT kinds of people on this board. I am reminded daily how much I care about so many of you. Maybe it’s because, once upon a time, I met you in a faraway meetup. Maybe it’s because when I crashed, you saved the ammo and did not put me down, but rather, made sure I was going to make it. And then after that, you’d send me texts checking up on me, seeing how I was doing. Then you’d ask when I was getting another bike...not pushing, just planting thoughts.

I only say all this because everything Redfish says is true. However, I also agree with my buddy Marty, Wayne, who survived a horrific accident in 2008 in part with the help my grumpy WV buddy went over and did all sorts of stuff for Wayne and Annette.

All different people, all on this board, all appreciated.

I’ve said too much, all I can say, and should have said...is Amen Redfish!

I need a beer.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

0face wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:17 pm
Redfish wrote:
Let's return the favor and act like we care about Wayne.
That’s a hard pass, and while we’re at it GFY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:D :D
Ogopogo
FJRModel: 2014

Post by Ogopogo »

0face wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:30 pm There's a huge difference between saying "you are a moron" versus "your idea/opinion is moronic". The thread I'm referring to had not moved into the former.
Yes, it had moved in that direction. For example, I was called a "sheeple" in that thread. Previously, in a bizarre non sequitur I was surprised to learn that I'd never worked for anything in my life and merely had to line up to get everything handed to me! If it was my forum then this "sheeple" would have booted the poster. Thread lock is a gentle alternative that can't undo the personal attacks, but at least prevents them from escalating. It's not censorship.
0face
Contributor
Veteran

Post by 0face »

Ogopogo wrote:
0face wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:30 pm There's a huge difference between saying "you are a moron" versus "your idea/opinion is moronic". The thread I'm referring to had not moved into the former.
Yes, it had moved in that direction. For example, I was called a "sheeple" in that thread. Previously, in a bizarre non sequitur I was surprised to learn that I'd never worked for anything in my life and merely had to line up to get everything handed to me! If it was my forum then this "sheeple" would have booted the poster. Thread lock is a gentle alternative that can't undo the personal attacks, but at least prevents them from escalating. It's not censorship.
Well, since we already moved past that and we’re headed towards a Wayne love fest. Thanks for bringing it back to the bitter zone.
PhilJet09, Pterodactyl, Abercrombie FJR and 1 others loved this