Insignificant Cooler Fact

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Insignificant Cooler Fact

Post by bill lumberg »

If you have a garauld hydration system, fyi- the grommet from the cheap igloo cooler that came with the system fits perfectly in the neck of an rtic cooler. Open cap, insert vertical tube, and seat the grommet. No drilling required, and no hole to leak if you’re using your fancy rtic off the bike.

This insignificant cooler fact was made possible by charitable research and coontributions of Danh and jwilly. And Archer Daniels Midland.
jwilly, NTXFJR, gixxerjasen and 3 others loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
garauld
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2004

Re: Insignificant Cooler Fact

Post by garauld »

FWIW, those grommets are made to fit in a 1/2" dia. hole.
gixxerjasen loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

They fit like they’re made for it (the rtic). It’s not getting any cooler out there.

I put ice in the rtic at 450 Cherohala Skyway yesterday around 740am. Rode most of the day. Parked a very hot bike in an un-air conditioned garage overnight. Just went to pull the cooler and rig off the motorcycle to clean and store them. The cooler still has plenty of ice in it.
gixxerjasen and wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

bill lumberg wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:21 am If you have a garauld hydration system, fyi- the grommet from the cheap igloo cooler that came with the system fits perfectly in the neck of an rtic cooler. Open cap, insert vertical tube, and seat the grommet. No drilling required, and no hole to leak if you’re using your fancy rtic off the bike.

This insignificant cooler fact was made possible by charitable research and coontributions of Danh and jwilly. And Archer Daniels Midland.
The half-gallon cooler with the flip-up drinking spout?

bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Yes. That’s the one.
HotRodZilla loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Matches the 2018 paint?
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Uncle Hud wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 pm Matches the 2018 paint?
What do you care? It says NAVY matte, you HAVE to buy it now.
Uncle Hud and HotRodZilla loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

The stainless one looks good on the 2013. Fits in the bracket fine by just tightening up the clamp.

HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

Still using my DIY with the old Coleman 1 gal jugs. I think they quit making their 1 gal options. On shorter rides, I may fill one with water and use the other for light-weight storage (different gloves, etc.).
Last edited by Bounce on Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

This winter I was riding and didn't even have water in the Coleman. I stopped at a Cuban bakery and got some coffee and pastries to eat down by the water. I open the Coleman jug and placed the styrofoam coffee cup with lid in there and rode to the water. The coffee didn't spill a drop. I enjoyed some time by the water.

Then forgot to tighten the lid on the Coleman. It was gone when I got home. So I was forced to up grade.

The Rtic is way better than the coleman. Looks better and keeps ice way, way better.

Garuad gives you the option of not getting the cooler when you buy the bracket. I would highly recommend getting one of the newer style jugs. Something like the Rtic or Ozark trails, etc.

You BMW guys could even get a Yeti.

This was right before I lost the top to my jug. There is a spare top for a coleman jug somewhere along A1A in the Florida Keys.
Finders - Keepers.
Bugnatr, HotRodZilla, Bounce and 1 others loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

Never thought of putting coffee in it. The left side storage compartment on my bmw would hold a large Starbucks coffee and never spill a drop. Hmmm.

This also makes me realize that the mount is perfect for my giant steel thermos in the winter.

If anyone knows where to find sugar free Red Bull in a half gallon can, pm me....
HotRodZilla, wheatonFJR, and Cav47 loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:11 am Never thought of putting coffee in it. The left side storage compartment on my bmw would hold a large Starbucks coffee and never spill a drop. Hmmm.

This also makes me realize that the mount is perfect for my giant steel thermos in the winter.

If anyone knows where to find sugar free Red Bull in a half gallon can, pm me....
The Coleman worked good to stand a cup of coffee in because it was straight sided. Easy to reach in a grab the cup just by taking the lid off the cooler.
Not sure how the Rtic would work with the narrowing at the top.

Hot coffee on the bike will not happen for at least five or six months. So not an experiment I am going to try. :lol:
HotRodZilla loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Have you tried iced coffee?? Not bad on a hot summer day......
HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
danh600
Veteran

Post by danh600 »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:52 am Have you tried iced coffee?? Not bad on a hot summer day......
I love iced caffe mocha. However, my wife hates when I stop and buy one of those. She says I bounce around like a pinball.
wheatonFJR loved this
HotRodZilla
Veteran

Post by HotRodZilla »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:11 am Never thought of putting coffee in it. The left side storage compartment on my bmw would hold a large Starbucks coffee and never spill a drop. Hmmm.

It's right next to the heart attack medication. Haha! We have had 3 guys taken to the hospital after drinking too many energy drinks.
Bounce and wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

HotRodZilla wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:27 pm

It's right next to the heart attack medication. Haha! We have had 3 guys taken to the hospital after drinking too many energy drinks.
Back to healthy donuts for sure! Krispy Kreme fresh hot dounts...here we come!
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

I know several who have abused energy drinks and had chest pain and other troubling symptoms. Caffeine isn’t free. It’s merely borrowing energy. I know down to the milligram how much I ingest and when. If you drink them too much or too often, they’ll either stop working or start hurting you.
wheatonFJR and HotRodZilla loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bill lumberg wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:35 pm I know several who have abused energy drinks and had chest pain and other troubling symptoms. Caffeine isn’t free. It’s merely borrowing energy. I know down to the milligram how much I ingest and when. If you drink them too much or too often, they’ll either stop working or start hurting you.
Remind me to tell you a story about caffeine next time I see you...
bill lumberg loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Not to mention, caffeine and beer are diuretics and make you go pee more often... I drink a lot of coffee daily, not enough water... building project (my shop) we sweat our butts off in the heat, I kept a big cooler of bottled water and drank a lot of water for three weeks straight. Honestly never felt better... only had one coffee in the morning, then had to get to work.... never peed that much at all, huge difference.
HotRodZilla loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
HotRodZilla
Veteran

Post by HotRodZilla »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:30 am Not to mention, caffeine and beer are diuretics and make you go pee more often... I drink a lot of coffee daily, not enough water... building project (my shop) we sweat our butts off in the heat, I kept a big cooler of bottled water and drank a lot of water for three weeks straight. Honestly never felt better... only had one coffee in the morning, then had to get to work.... never peed that much at all, huge difference.
Speaking of peeing, have any of you noticed that when you ride in the cold, you have to pee more? I don't even think I really drink any more, but the stops seem more frequent. I made a SWAG and think its because we're not really sweating, so it just runs to the bladder instead of being expelled by sweating and the bladder.

Anyone? Am I just an idiot? Haha!!
wheatonFJR loved this