List of "free" or inexpensive mods to a stock - new to me bike?

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
JTRC51
Squid
FJRModel: Almost an owner

List of "free" or inexpensive mods to a stock - new to me bike?

Post by JTRC51 »

Hey guys,

Hope this is the right place to post this..
I am looking at a 06-10 (Gen2 model I believe?) and am looking to see if anyone has a list of some first free/inexpensive mods to do the bike to improve it or make it safer (AIS system, electrical, intake, etc.)? The obvious fluids/caliper cleaning, etc. I know of, and I also will be setting up the suspension (but plan to eventually get the suspension modded)

Thanks in advance!
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Re: List of "free" or inexpensive mods to a stock - new to me bike?

Post by escapefjrtist »

Always recommend riding the bike for a bit and then see what YOU need to make it yours. Seat improvements and windshield changes are great starting points. For inexpensive pieces, scour the for sale section. If you're not in a terrible hurry, you'll be able to source a lot of farkles that way and save some $$$ too!

~G
Uncle Hud loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

From 2008 and up Gen 2 bikes, there isn't much that needs to be "fixed". Gen 2 is 2006 to 2012. The one area to service / dig into is going to be the ground circuit / ground spider corrosion. There was a recall which added a supplemental ground harness as well as some home ground fixes that were sold by a member (Brodie's ground spider harness).

Seat / windshield adjustments would be the next place to focus on, if the stock don't work well for you. Everyone is different. A Helibars top clamp will bring the handlebars up and back slightly, allowing for a more upright seating position.

beyond that, ride the snot out of it.

Wayne
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

JTRC51 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:07 pm Hey guys,

I am looking at a 06-10 (Gen2 model I believe?) and am looking to see if anyone has a list of some first free/inexpensive mods to do the bike to improve it or make it safer (AIS system, electrical, intake, etc.)? Thanks in advance!
JTRC51,

Not much is needed, and not much will be inexpensive, if wanted. I like foam handlebar grips (Grip Puppies or Grip Buddies).

TPMS systems go for US$50~$90 and I would not like riding without that gadget. Who checks their tire pressures at red lights, gas stops, or even while at speed on the freeway? TPMS owners. 8-)

The FJR is sneaky-fast; it's much too easy to run city streets at excessive speeds. For the smaller speed limits, I have a GPS digital speedometer that I can read in sunlight, and it always agrees with the roadside robot radar signs. It gets power from a USB cable, with no other hookups. ~US$28 at Amazon.

Use LockTite on the pannier screws. Not much is worse than seeing your luggage pass you, on the road. They cost a lot.

There may be more to tell, for certain years/models.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
BruinFJRguy
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 A

Post by BruinFJRguy »

Second Grip Puppies. I've gone back and forth, but they are comfy.

Ram mount for cell phone.

On my '15 I found a very close match Vvivid Vinyl wrap and put it on some parts that would be contacted, e.g. where boots hit on side covers, where my dry duffle would touch the top of panniers, where my knees hit the tank, where a tank pad would go.

Cramp buster can be another handy thing.

Aftermarket windscreen of some sort. National Vstream is one option. Choose your height preference.

Seat upgrade. A low-cost option is Seat Concepts. For about $200 you get the foam for the front and vinyl covers; install yourself with an electric or manual staple gun.

Bar risers, maybe. I'm presently deciding whether I want to run the Helibar bridge that came with my recent purchase. I also have MCL blocks that raise about an inch and a half but don't move the bars back.

Helmet bluetooth system. Some like earbuds. I still like using foamies with a Sena. It's nice to have tunes, and to be able to take a call if you want to. See the suggestion for Ram mount above. Change Pandora stations on the fly (at stop lights, ahem).

Tail bag. Significantly increase your cargo ability without an expensive trunk. I got about 25k on mine, and it's now looking a little dingy. But it still works. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tou ... e-tail-bag

In terms of performance mods for fueling/air/etc, there aren't really any that I know of. The FJR isn't really lacking in any of these areas. And for what it is (a very fast sport-tourer), it brings plenty of punch.

Enjoy!
sacramentomike
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by sacramentomike »

Free? Air up the tires. Not too much else. But low cost, really useful farkles? An after-market horn. There are lots of choices, but even something like a pair of car horns for about $25-30 at Auto Zone or someplace is a BIG improvement over the little stock peeper. Plug and play. And a Bigfoot kickstand attachment is about the same price, could keep your bike from an ugly tumble on soft ground.
Uncle Hud and jblanken64 loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Agree with G, ride the darn thing for a while to see what enhancements you want... oh we'll do all we can to spend your money if you ask us.... BUT, as I mentioned in your intro thread, if you end up with an '06-'07, budget for an ECU flash from Ivan's Performance, it will cure all Gen2 fueling issues. I think it is $350 plus shipping back and forth, so budget $400.
As for suspension, the rear shock is undersprung, you can put a Gen3 shock on it which will help, but an aftermarket one is desirable. As for the forks, I'd do nothing but freshen up the bushings, seals, new oil and a proper set of fork springs.... no need to spend money on valving unless you're Ricky Racer. Traxxion has a nice plug and play fork spring kit.... ask when you're ready (~$130).
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

Ride it. Buy gas and tires and do your services on time. It will tell you what YOU want/need for YOUR preferences.
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Do the inexpensive often overlooked maintenance items first to get the bike in the best possible shape. Check air pressure in tires and inspect brake pads. Flush the brake fluid and the coolant, lube all of the pivot points, and lube the relay arm. Give it a thorough cleaning and wax it to make it look its best. Play around with suspension settings so it's set up for you and your riding style. Make sure the saddlebag lock screws have loctite on them.Too often people start making changes and don't even really know their bike yet. Your intended end use comes into play as well. Are you an Iron Butt rider? More sport than tour? Just use the bike for your commuter vehicle thinking you'll save money on gas? The list of things you can do to make the bike your own and to fit your needs is practically endless.

Watch the for sale section and pick up some of the goodies second hand when possible.
Bounce and wheatonFJR loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
JTRC51
Squid
FJRModel: Almost an owner

Post by JTRC51 »

I agree with most everyone about getting to know my bike and adjusting for my type of riding. Most bikes I own I rarely leave stock and usually start with the maintenance items first, then move to other areas of improvement that can be done free (just my labor) or inexpensive. My Last bike as an example; I removed the AIS system and plugged all the necessary vacuum lines, this helped and also gave more room in the trunk. I Also slighty modified the airbox - so was looking for some starter points on the FJR. Glad to hear the bike is pretty set from the factory. I'll look and ask about the spider harness and look into TPMS.

Thanks everyone!
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

JTRC51 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:39 pmGlad to hear the bike is pretty set from the factory. I'll look and ask about the spider harness and look into TPMS.
Thanks everyone!
JTRC51,

Spider bites (corroded grounding) will produce strange and wonderful combinations of "failures" as systems try to find ground in various ways. Unless you are experiencing any odd lights or electrical problems with the bike, just keep the idea about ground spiders in your archives, for now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
8-)
Knock wood, but I have never had any such problems with my 2008.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

These aren't free, but certainly cheap compared to other motorcycle accessories.

These reflective stickers are awesome. I think everyone should get them right away. Other mods should wait until you get a few thousand miles out of your new bike. Ride the bike and actually see what you need. For example the stock windshield on an FJR works perfectly fine for me. The stock seat not so much.

You need these as soon as you start riding.
No affiliation. I just think it's a great product.

https://www.realtimeindustries.com/fjr1300/
bill lumberg, ionbeam, and wheatonFJR loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

danh600 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:00 pm ...These reflective stickers are awesome. I think everyone should get them right away...No affiliation. I just think it's a great product.

Alex at Real Time Industries
Another vote for the reflectors, they really work. They can be had with & without graphics and in colors.

Riding up Mt. Washington I had a friend from CA following me. On this day it was so foggy that when looking straight down at your front wheel you couldn't see the ground at times. The guy (with Helen's sister on back) couldn't see my bike or my tail lights but he could see the reflectors on my bags and followed me safely to the top like that. (And was totally stressed out by it too.)

wheatonFJR and bill lumberg loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Mods aren’t inherently good or better. Correcting a deficiency you have identified from time in the saddle is good. It doesn’t need any modding to make it safe, it’s good to go as-is. Just check fluids, make sure everything is changed, pads are good. Tires are good. Many find the stock shield to be a joke. Many more find the stock seat problematic for distance. But there are those who like the bike bone stock. Generally no need to fool around with fueling or air filter. If the grips are super worn, consider grip buddies from Dave Reppert. Consider the low cost of replacing the peg rubber and shifter rubber if they are significantly worn or hardened.

I agree with the stuff above- real-time industries reflectives are hard to beat for the dollar.
JTRC51 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:07 pm Hey guys,

Hope this is the right place to post this..
I am looking at a 06-10 (Gen2 model I believe?) and am looking to see if anyone has a list of some first free/inexpensive mods to do the bike to improve it or make it safer (AIS system, electrical, intake, etc.)? The obvious fluids/caliper cleaning, etc. I know of, and I also will be setting up the suspension (but plan to eventually get the suspension modded)

Thanks in advance!
wheatonFJR loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

The FJR has a monster motor and good basics. You can make it what you want. I am in the minority and like the bone stock shield. I didn't get a new saddle until two years after I purchased my first FJR.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey