Motech Mirror Extenders

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Re: Motech Mirror Extenders

Post by Blueridgerider »

huron52 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:48 am There is nothing wrong with looking over your shoulder once and a while either.
You might think so but your bike travels a long way in the time it takes for you to take your eyes off the road to look behind you and a lot can happen in that inattentive time. If your a wee bit older like me and not as flexible it makes that turn to look back a bit longer as well :D I love the small wide angle mirrors as I am 100% confident that when I look down at them I can see everything around me without having to turn away from my line of travel. Just saying.
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I will disagree somewhat..... from experience, if you solely rely on your mirrors to make a turn or lane change, that is very dangerous. You should always do a shoulder check, regardless of those blind spot mirrors, and don't make any sudden moves until you are reasonably certain nothing is in your blind spot. MSF and other professionals teach this, it's motorcycling 101.
DesertBike and FastPappy loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

huron52 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:48 am There is nothing wrong with looking over your shoulder once and a while either.
Agreed! But much more difficult to do in heavy traffic.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
SkooterG
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004 X 2, 2009 X 2, 2013 X2, 2014, 2017, 2023...... I have issues!

Post by SkooterG »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:36 pm I will disagree somewhat..... from experience, if you solely rely on your mirrors to make a turn or lane change, that is very dangerous. You should always do a shoulder check, regardless of those blind spot mirrors, and don't make any sudden moves until you are reasonably certain nothing is in your blind spot. MSF and other professionals teach this, it's motorcycling 101.
True Dat. But effective mirrors can tell you if a lane change is even possible to do safely before getting to the head check part.
bill lumberg loved this
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

IBA #327

'04 FJR -- '09 FJR -- '13 FJR -- '14 FJR ES -- '17 FJR ES - What can I say? I have issues!
mcatrophy
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300AS

Post by mcatrophy »

In the UK, the glance over the shoulder is known as the Life Saver, for good reason. It's only a rapid glance, takes very little time. Particularly useful in heavy traffic, where vehicles in different lanes may be moving at very different speeds.

It also means my 79 year old neck has remained much more flexible than it otherwise would, I notice after a period of not riding it does stiffen up, needs freeing again.

I am also in the habit of using it in my car, where there are significant mirror blind spots.
justacrossthehill, wheatonFJR, huron52 and 1 others loved this
mcatrophy
2018 FJR1300AS - AE in the USA, if only they could have one :o .
2014 FJR1300AS 2010 FJR1300AS 2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonnevill '55 Tiger Cub
ImageMy web site
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:36 pm I will disagree somewhat..... from experience, if you solely rely on your mirrors to make a turn or lane change, that is very dangerous. You should always do a shoulder check, regardless of those blind spot mirrors, and don't make any sudden moves until you are reasonably certain nothing is in your blind spot. MSF and other professionals teach this, it's motorcycling 101.
Been riding all my life closing in on 60 years. Probably a couple hundred thousand miles or more. I am totally familiar with motorcycling 101 Ray but appreciate your feedback. How you change lanes is circumstantial. High traffic areas or on open roads. I ride more in the later so the mirrors work great for most situations certainly not all if I am in town etc. but most.

You cannot say turning to look over your shoulder does not come with risk. At 6o mph with traffic or not how far does the bike move down the road while your not looking because you have turned away from it? 50 feet 100? More? While your tuning to look behind you a car can jack up in front of you, a dead animal going under the 4 car tires is on you in a second. I think we all can picture the nightmare of turning forward after looking back only to see a stopped car or truck jacked up in front of you :shock: :shock: Life over! So much can happen in those precious seconds. If the rider glanced down at a mirror that shows everything around you and I mean Everything he could I have avoided a potentially fatal accident? You get my drift. With the mirrors I am always looking forward in case something happens. I have never been surprised NEVER checking my surroundings with them. Maybe you have never tried them and don't realize how good they are? Perception is a powerful thing and terrible if your stubborn and wrong. Do I turn sometimes? Sure in certain situations but where I ride I rely on them and no one can give me the old motorcycling 101 crap about it, sorry. My goal every time I ride is to get home alive like all of us and how you handle lane changes is circumstantial.
bill lumberg loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

I think these photos show just how good the field of vision is with the small mirrors. The truck is clearly in my view as it approaches my blind spot. One look down and there is no doubt whatever is there I am seeing it. Also not everyone can whip around to look over your shoulder quickly. I have had neck and back surgery and it takes effort and time off the road ahead to look back. In my opinion I would rather stay focused on what's ahead especially when I am confident I know what's beside or behind me. A look back and you miss anything that suddenly happens in front of you. Thousands and thousands of miles have and never been shocked by something I did not see. Might not be yours or anyone else's way to stay safe but it is proven for me. Motorcycling 101 does not take into account great add ons like these or someone's physical ability to constantly turn to look back.

DesertBike loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
goodman4
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2007 FJR1300, 2007 GL1800, 2019 MT10

Post by goodman4 »

I have the small circular mirror like the above pic on my FJR. Not sure how much it helps me personally. I used to gripe about the mirrors on the FJR until I got the MT10. It is much much worse. I put the SW Motech mirror extenders on it and it really helped.