NW Ohio FNG

Stop in & tell us who you are, where you are from, etc.
User avatar
basicjim
Squid
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300
Location: NW Ohio
x 28
x 55

NW Ohio FNG

Post by basicjim » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:55 pm

Howdy!

Have been lurking for a while but got called out and had to post, so I figured I'd put up an intro post.

I am in NW Ohio. I rode off and on growing up but last year bought a Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT. I put some miles on it including some ADV stuff on the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail, then I found Rallys. I did the Team Strange States of Confusion rally, which was nice because it gave me some destinations to my rides. Then I did The Void and had an absolute blast. I am hooked on this Rally stuff. I put 13K mi on the bike last year.

One thing I learned is that a 650 ADV bike, not matter how much you spend in farkles, isn't a sport touring bike. I started looking for something that would be more comfortable and capable for Rallys.

I started saving for an FJR and got a call from a buddy that his co-worker was selling. It's a well maintained '06, and it apparently is the fastest color FJR has, which is Cobalt Blue. (don't listen to the red or root beer rumors)

So, tomorrow, Saturday the 14th, I am going to go pick it up from PA and have a nice 5 hour 'getting to know you' ride home!

Jim
jwilly, PhilJet09, Cav47 and 3 others loved this
Jim B
IBA# 74290
NW Ohio
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

BkerChuck
Veteran
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:02 am
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A
x 658
x 1215

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by BkerChuck » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:00 pm

Greetings Jim!

I told you this was the fun sandbox! I'll be seeing you tomorrow in Bedford, PA to help deliver your new to you 2006 fully farkled and ready to rally on. I'd try to warn you who to look out for on here but that could takes days or possibly weeks even. You're going to love the bike and this one is well sorted and well maintained.
basicjim loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866

User avatar
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 1206
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:19 pm
FJRModel: 2017 FJR1300ES
1953 “C” Vincent Rapide
Location: Winnipeg
x 2405
x 938

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by CollingsBob » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Welcome from Winnipeg, Manitoba...Ride Safe!
basicjim loved this

User avatar
escapefjrtist
Veteran
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A
Location: Snohomish WA
x 471
x 374

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by escapefjrtist » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:21 pm

Welcome from metro Seattle and congrats on the new [to you] ‘06!

~G
basicjim loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 11634
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 15468
x 7048

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by wheatonFJR » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Welcome basicJim.

My condolences on living in NW Ohio. Thats purt similar to northern Indiana...so its a good thing yer an ironbutter, as it is a hike on a bike to good roads, unless yer an, well whatever y'all call yerselves.

Hey, you aren't related to fortranJim now, is ya?

User avatar
raYzerman
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 4342
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am
FJRModel: 2014 A Root Beer, 2009 CBF1000A
Location: Millgrove, Ontario, CA
x 1126
x 3206

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by raYzerman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:43 pm

Jim, I heard rumours you were going to crash Owosso tech day, so I'm bringing a spare root beer part so you can see what fast really looks like... 'cuz just admit it, they are so fast you've never seen one.
basicjim and Cav47 loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.

User avatar
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 3242
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:22 pm
FJRModel: 2016ES
Location: North Coast of Ohio
x 3522
x 1445

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by El Toro Joe » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:09 pm

Welcome, from the north coast of Ohio...hope to meet you at the SEO Ramble
basicjim loved this
"RIP Petey"

"People are dying who have never died before" Donald J. Trump, March 18, 2020 :lol:

User avatar
PhilJet09
Contributor
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:49 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A
Location: NW Ohio
x 458
x 207

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by PhilJet09 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:55 am

Hello neighbor, welcome to the forum!
basicjim loved this
Every day I strive to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

Petey is my hero.

User avatar
basicjim
Squid
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300
Location: NW Ohio
x 28
x 55

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by basicjim » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:50 pm

Thanks for the welcomes! Just got back with the new (to me) FJR!! I love it! Drove 5.5 hrs back home on it as a "get-to-know-you" ride! She handled the snow like a champ!!

Did a little trip report too.
El Toro Joe, CollingsBob, and wheatonFJR loved this
Jim B
IBA# 74290
NW Ohio
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

User avatar
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:57 pm
FJRModel: 2012
Location: NW Ohio
x 773
x 952

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by FJRfarrier » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:35 am

Hello from NW Ohio! Enjoy the bike!
basicjim loved this
I haven’t made any really bad decisions lately... I’m getting bored.

IBA #60909

User avatar
BikerGeek
Veteran
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:21 pm
FJRModel: 2004
Location: Marysville, OH
x 845
x 900

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by BikerGeek » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:41 am

Welcome from Marysville!
basicjim loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face

User avatar
basicjim
Squid
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300
Location: NW Ohio
x 28
x 55

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by basicjim » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:28 pm

PhilJet09 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:55 am
Hello neighbor, welcome to the forum!
FJRfarrier wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:35 am
Hello from NW Ohio! Enjoy the bike!

Wow! I am going to have to keep my eyes open for other FJRs when I get out!!

I am in the Fremont area down Rt 20 SE of Maumee... Where ya at?!?
Jim B
IBA# 74290
NW Ohio
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

User avatar
basicjim
Squid
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300
Location: NW Ohio
x 28
x 55

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by basicjim » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:31 pm

wheatonFJR wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:32 pm
Welcome basicJim.

My condolences on living in NW Ohio. Thats purt similar to northern Indiana...so its a good thing yer an ironbutter, as it is a hike on a bike to good roads, unless yer an, well whatever y'all call yerselves.

Hey, you aren't related to fortranJim now, is ya?
He's my cousin!! My pa AssemblyJim and his pa, BinaryJim were brothers! Not close since he married Ruby.

:lol:
wheatonFJR loved this
Jim B
IBA# 74290
NW Ohio
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

User avatar
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 1584
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:14 am
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray
Location: Sandown, NH
x 334
x 2585

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by ionbeam » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:43 pm

basicjim wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:31 pm
wheatonFJR wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:32 pm
Welcome basicJim.

My condolences on living in NW Ohio. Thats purt similar to northern Indiana...so its a good thing yer an ironbutter, as it is a hike on a bike to good roads, unless yer an, well whatever y'all call yerselves.

Hey, you aren't related to fortranJim now, is ya?
He's my cousin!! My pa AssemblyJim and his pa, BinaryJim were brothers! Not close since he married Ruby.

:lol:
I'm pretty sure one of them owned DigitDog. First one got bit then there was a lot of bytes. I believe all the bytes led to a Hexadecimal outbreak.
wheatonFJR and basicjim loved this

User avatar
basicjim
Squid
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300
Location: NW Ohio
x 28
x 55

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by basicjim » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:48 pm

ionbeam wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:43 pm
basicjim wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:31 pm
wheatonFJR wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:32 pm
Welcome basicJim.

My condolences on living in NW Ohio. Thats purt similar to northern Indiana...so its a good thing yer an ironbutter, as it is a hike on a bike to good roads, unless yer an, well whatever y'all call yerselves.

Hey, you aren't related to fortranJim now, is ya?
He's my cousin!! My pa AssemblyJim and his pa, BinaryJim were brothers! Not close since he married Ruby.

:lol:
I'm pretty sure one of them owned DigitDog. First one got bit then there was a lot of bytes. I believe all the bytes led to a Hexadecimal outbreak.
C'mon now! You're gonna ruin my hard-earned rep as a cool dude by outing me as a geek! :lol:
wheatonFJR loved this
Jim B
IBA# 74290
NW Ohio
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

User avatar
jwilly
Site Admin
Veteran
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 am
FJRModel: 2016
Location: Georgia
x 1764
x 1593

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by jwilly » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:23 pm

Welcome Jim! I'm hoping that your finally the person from Ohio that I can trust? Been searching this place for years and keep coming up empty, other than Geeks wife..
El Toro Joe, BikerGeek, basicjim and 2 others loved this
I’d be more than happy to swear under oath that having watched you ride for many, many miles, there is no way in hell you could be speeding through those curves. -0face

User avatar
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:57 pm
FJRModel: 2012
Location: NW Ohio
x 773
x 952

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by FJRfarrier » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:05 pm

basicjim wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:28 pm
PhilJet09 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:55 am
Hello neighbor, welcome to the forum!
FJRfarrier wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:35 am
Hello from NW Ohio! Enjoy the bike!

Wow! I am going to have to keep my eyes open for other FJRs when I get out!!

I am in the Fremont area down Rt 20 SE of Maumee... Where ya at?!?
I am in Findlay. I got my FJR from Schiets, there in Fremont. :D
I haven’t made any really bad decisions lately... I’m getting bored.

IBA #60909

User avatar
PhilJet09
Contributor
Member
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:49 pm
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A
Location: NW Ohio
x 458
x 207

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by PhilJet09 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:34 pm

basicjim wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:28 pm
PhilJet09 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:55 am
Hello neighbor, welcome to the forum!
FJRfarrier wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:35 am
Hello from NW Ohio! Enjoy the bike!

Wow! I am going to have to keep my eyes open for other FJRs when I get out!!

I am in the Fremont area down Rt 20 SE of Maumee... Where ya at?!?

I’m up around Toledo, looking forward to meeting you.
I also got my FJR from Schiets.
Every day I strive to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

Petey is my hero.

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
Posts: 11634
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 15468
x 7048

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by wheatonFJR » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:31 pm

Maybe y'all can have the Ohio gathering in NW Ohio next year...I hear its just like the other corner; straight, flat, and boring.
basicjim loved this

User avatar
basicjim
Squid
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 am
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300
Location: NW Ohio
x 28
x 55

Re: NW Ohio FNG

Post by basicjim » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:16 pm

FJRfarrier wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:05 pm
I am in Findlay. I got my FJR from Schiets, there in Fremont. :D
PhilJet09 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:34 pm
I’m up around Toledo, looking forward to meeting you.
I also got my FJR from Schiets.
That's awesome! I work up in Walbridge so I am in Frogtown daily. I make it out to Findlay about once a week!

If we had any decent roads we could band together and get more meetups moved up here, but I'd actually rather get outta the area!

It'd be great to meet you both!

What are your riding plans this year? I have a couple rallys, the Owosso Tech day up in MI, and I am in Tour of Honor this year.

Jim
Jim B
IBA# 74290
NW Ohio
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

Post Reply