In situ greasing..

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: In situ greasing..

Post by wheatonFJR »

I'm just surprised Bust hasn't chimed in. :o
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

It is amusing the conceptions and approach some people use.... that guy in the video really needed to do something like a wheel chock to keep the bike from that precarious position. So then he lifts the bike and proceeds to undo the bolts... WTF? Given they can sometimes be a struggle, all should have been loosened before he picked up the bike and not risk the bike swinging around.

There's another video where a guy lifted the bike by the rear seat latch... and another who followed that video and ended up breaking the casting. Always lift with two points, not one. Reduce weight if you like, remove the back wheel.

He mentions the "brown wax" in the bearings, had to clean it out and then found the needles all fell out. It's actually a brown plastic retainer for the needles, need to leave that alone so the needles don't fall out. Take care, it is fragile, especially if older and neglected.

And a hint for those who just want to grease just the rear three while on centerstand. If you remove the rear dogbone bolt and the shock bolt, the relay arm pivots forward so you can easily get tools on the middle relay bolt (the forward end of the dogbones).
PhilJet09, Canadian FJR, CollingsBob and 1 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I did this another way - I never did like the idea of "hanging" the bike. Mostly, I don't want to be underneath the 600 pound machine, pushing and prodding on it while swinging, and when it comes unhooked, .... splat.

Take the mufflers off. Take the rear wheel off. Stick the rear axle back in the swingarm/pumpkin. Jack up on the axle. Set the rear peg sets on your jack stands (I have since built boxes to raise the jack stands, as well as a front wheel chock to stabilize it). You can do this on the ground with no problem.

MUCHO safer and stable.

Steel_Gin and LKLD loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

^^^^ Whose shop is that in? I see a damn BMW key on the pegboard.

The concept of getting underneath the bike while "hanging" it in any form goes against my better judgement. We know safety man is never gonna do that.

Even on the lift, sometimes I still feel hesitant to lift it up high and start reaching my hands through to clean up the undercarrage. Yeah, even when strapped down, it does shift some. That listing side to side always freaks me out.
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Cav47 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:19 pm ^^^^ Whose shop is that in? I see a damn BMW key on the pegboard.
Ha. Good catch Josh!
wheatonFJR loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

Pants,

That is exactly the way I do mine for full lubing. I just need to replace the bones on Gypsy’s bike so I’ll try removing the bottom shock bolt and swing the relay aren’t past the Center stand to gain access yo the bottom dog bone bolt.

Canadian FJR
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

That was at a friend of mine's shop, and yes, the Bavarian Sirens got hold of him a LONG time ago. (currently has and RT 1250 and an R1250R).

But as previously stated, you can do this on the ground, no problem.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Canadian FJR wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:53 pm Pants,

That is exactly the way I do mine for full lubing. I just need to replace the bones on Gypsy’s bike so I’ll try removing the bottom shock bolt and swing the relay aren’t past the Center stand to gain access yo the bottom dog bone bolt.

Canadian FJR
Gypsy!

Tell Jude that some nutcase named Wheaton says "Hi"!
PhilJet09 loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Canadian FJR
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018 FJR-1300ES, 2010 Ural Gear Up, 2003
Yamaha FJR-1300, 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Gone to a new home), 1997 Suzuki TL-1000s (Gone but not forgotten), 1976 Honda 400 Four, 1968 Honda C-50 Step-thru

Post by Canadian FJR »

Lol

He’s even more handsome today.
I have to show him this picture when I see him on Wednesday

Canadian FJR
wheatonFJR loved this
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Hppants wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:24 pm I did this another way - I never did like the idea of "hanging" the bike. Mostly, I don't want to be underneath the 600 pound machine, pushing and prodding on it while swinging, and when it comes unhooked, .... splat.

Take the mufflers off. Take the rear wheel off. Stick the rear axle back in the swingarm/pumpkin. Jack up on the axle. Set the rear peg sets on your jack stands (I have since built boxes to raise the jack stands, as well as a front wheel chock to stabilize it). You can do this on the ground with no problem.

MUCHO safer and stable.

I would really like to service my relay arm but doing it safely has put this on hold until then. Seeing this setup looks like a great way to go, even looks better than lifting it from above which I don't have anything solid enough, I think, in my garage to make it happen. Maybe I can pull this off in the fall. Thank you posting that picture!! Now getting access to a lift like that for a week or so.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Again, you don't need the lift. You can do this from the ground (slab) of the workspace. The lift makes it a bit more convenient, but it is not necessary.

Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Hppants wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:08 pm Again, you don't need the lift. You can do this from the ground (slab) of the workspace. The lift makes it a bit more convenient, but it is not necessary.
Agreed. Having the lift to lock in the front wheel is my first choice, being easier to work on is a great bonus. If I can't get access to one plan B is to run straps from the handlebars to the Canyon Cages.
Hppants loved this
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img903/5005/ZMce8Y.jpg

If you take enough of the heavy stuff off, it’s a lot less dangerous. :D

I got these rear sliders a long time ago and they’ve been most useful for crap like this. Take the exhaust off and you can lube everything back there very easily, plus do a thorough cleaning.
Steel_Gin and wheatonFJR loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne