The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
User avatar
wheatonFJR
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5344
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 3781
x 1814

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by wheatonFJR » Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 am

raYzerman wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:08 am
...Since I got my own tire machine and spare set of wheels, went back to bike tire, sometimes miss that car tar.
I don't know that the Dunlop RS3 is a car tire, I will avoid asking more.
To Petey!

User avatar
bungie4
Veteran
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300
x 359
x 654

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by bungie4 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:35 am

raYzerman wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:08 am
YOu have to have the right tire to darkside, no stiff sidewalls, no runflats. Michelin Exalto best, no longer available, but there are good alternatives, Goodyear Triple Tread, etc. Yes you work a little harder on turn-ins, but can do as good as bike tire that sticks like glue. Since I got my own tire machine and spare set of wheels, went back to bike tire, sometimes miss that car tar.
First try was not a recommended tire, it was complete shit.
The Second try was a Michelin Exalto. Much better, but not a long term proposition for me, it came off the bike just as soon as possible.

I've chosen to save money on tires by investing in a trailer. My tires last longer, with a better quality of miles to wear them out. :D
HotRodZilla loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Motorcycles: More weight = More Money.

User avatar
wheatonFJR
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5344
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 3781
x 1814

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by wheatonFJR » Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 am

bungie4 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:35 am
I've chosen to save money on tires by investing in a trailer. My tires last longer, with a better quality of miles to wear them out. :D
Image
To Petey!

baowow
Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:39 pm
FJRModel: 2015 A
Location: Chicago, IL
x 7
x 131

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by baowow » Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 am

But then you'll have to change the tars on the trailer...

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Uncle Hud, HotRodZilla, and wheatonFJR loved this

User avatar
bungie4
Veteran
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300
x 359
x 654

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by bungie4 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:37 am

baowow wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 am
But then you'll have to change the tars on the trailer...

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
That's not the big expense :D
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Motorcycles: More weight = More Money.

User avatar
bungie4
Veteran
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300
x 359
x 654

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by bungie4 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 am

wheatonFJR wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 am
bungie4 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:35 am
I've chosen to save money on tires by investing in a trailer. My tires last longer, with a better quality of miles to wear them out. :D
Image
If you want a real eye opener. Google what Airstreams sell for.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Motorcycles: More weight = More Money.

User avatar
wheatonFJR
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5344
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 3781
x 1814

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by wheatonFJR » Tue May 15, 2018 10:50 am

bungie4 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 am
wheatonFJR wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 am
bungie4 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:35 am
I've chosen to save money on tires by investing in a trailer. My tires last longer, with a better quality of miles to wear them out. :D
Image
If you want a real eye opener. Google what Airstreams sell for.
More than a bag of macaroni??
To Petey!

baowow
Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:39 pm
FJRModel: 2015 A
Location: Chicago, IL
x 7
x 131

Re: RE: Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by baowow » Tue May 15, 2018 6:02 pm

bungie4 wrote:
wheatonFJR wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 am
bungie4 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:35 am
I've chosen to save money on tires by investing in a trailer. My tires last longer, with a better quality of miles to wear them out. :D
Image
If you want a real eye opener. Google what Airstreams sell for.
Why the hell am I paying mortgage for a house that stays in one place when I could have an airstream...Time to convince the wife.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Uncle Hud and wheatonFJR loved this

User avatar
Hppants
Veteran
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 pm
FJRModel: 2014
x 784
x 716

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by Hppants » Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Well shit - now here we go....

My two buddies with the Versys 1000LT's just got back from 2600 miles in North Georgia/North Carolina. Buddy #1 is trying the Avon ST's - the jury's still out.

Buddy #2 went with the Michelin PR5's.

The rear measures a little over 6/32 left (out of 8/32). That's about 25% worn (even though I know that it goes faster as it wears down) with 2600 miles.










:roll:














Well shit.....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Image

User avatar
wheatonFJR
I post more than I ride
Posts: 5344
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:10 pm
FJRModel: 2013
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
x 3781
x 1814

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by wheatonFJR » Wed May 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Hppants wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 pm
Well shit - now here we go....

My two buddies with the Versys 1000LT's just got back from 2600 miles in North Georgia/North Carolina. Buddy #1 is trying the Avon ST's - the jury's still out.

Buddy #2 went with the Michelin PR5's.

The rear measures a little over 6/32 left (out of 8/32). That's about 25% worn (even though I know that it goes faster as it wears down) with 2600 miles.










:roll:














Well shit.....
Weight & HP of their bikes vs yours?

Their riding style vs yours?

Otherwise, 2600 mile figure at 1/4 of tread depth doesn't mean doodly squat.
HotRodZilla loved this
To Petey!

User avatar
Hppants
Veteran
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 pm
FJRModel: 2014
x 784
x 716

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by Hppants » Thu May 17, 2018 8:26 am

The versys is about 100 pounds lighter than the FJR, but they were loaded with camping gear like I will be. It's not as powerful as the FJR, but they ride like I do. That 2600 miles was more on the edges than I will be for this trip, I think.

Wish I had more data re: the PR5....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Image

User avatar
Uncle Hud
Veteran
Posts: 1421
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:52 pm
FJRModel: 2015 ES, scratched and gouged
Location: Smyrna, metro Atlanta
x 1315
x 506

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by Uncle Hud » Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm

I think the only data that counts is from tires on your own bike when you're riding it.
NTXFJR and Hppants loved this
_________________ You can't get into trouble in second gear. _________________

User avatar
bungie4
Veteran
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300
x 359
x 654

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by bungie4 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm

Uncle Hud wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm
I think the only data that counts is from tires on your own bike when you're riding it.
This.

I currently have a set of T-30's on. I'm currently over 10KM (6000 miles) on them. They appear to be about half done. If I get 16KM out of them, they are a huge win as they were about half the price of the PR4's, and I'd be getting similar life out of them.

Screw it, gas/tires/insurance work out to 24.3c per km., in Ontario.

Based on a 15000km year, insurance is 9.3c/km
Fuel is 7.8c/km (@ 1.40 l)
Tires 7.2c/km (assuming full retail, dealer installed PR4GT)

Factor in Maint and Depreciation.


.
.
.

It's a good thing these things are fun as fuck.
Cav47 loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Motorcycles: More weight = More Money.

User avatar
Hppants
Veteran
Posts: 1065
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 pm
FJRModel: 2014
x 784
x 716

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by Hppants » Thu May 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Of course you are correct, Hud. Too many variables.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Image

bigjohnsd
Member
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 4:28 pm
FJRModel: 2013 FJR1300A Gen III
x 154
x 204

Re: Quit screwing around, this is the solution!

Post by bigjohnsd » Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Put on a new tire before you leave home.
Ride the snot out of it.
When you get something in Spearfish come To my house.
We will install the BFG Darkside tire I have on my tire rack and the brake reaction bar I made for my Gen 3 for your slab ride home. Once you are home you can replace and discard. It doesn't get steadier than this Mate. The tire in question has about 10,000 miles on it and you can't tell it has been on the road. You will feel much more comfortable spanning home in the darkside tahr!

PS I hate the fucking spell checker on my Kindle Fire!
Uncle Hud loved this

User avatar
Abercrombie FJR
Veteran
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 3:57 pm
FJRModel: 2014 ES
Location: North Dakota
x 33
x 250

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by Abercrombie FJR » Sat May 19, 2018 12:05 am

bungie4 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm
Uncle Hud wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm
I think the only data that counts is from tires on your own bike when you're riding it.
This.

I currently have a set of T-30's on. I'm currently over 10KM (6000 miles) on them. They appear to be about half done. If I get 16KM out of them, they are a huge win as they were about half the price of the PR4's, and I'd be getting similar life out of them.

Screw it, gas/tires/insurance work out to 24.3c per km., in Ontario.

Based on a 15000km year, insurance is 9.3c/km
Fuel is 7.8c/km (@ 1.40 l)
Tires 7.2c/km (assuming full retail, dealer installed PR4GT)

Factor in Maint and Depreciation.


.
.
.

It's a good thing these things are fun as fuck.
I'm blocking you. There is no reason to kill my enjoyment of riding trying to figure out how much each km costs. :stickpoke:
bungie4 and wheatonFJR loved this
2014 ES FJR
2013 Tenere
2006 Ducati 999
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
2018 Beta 500 RR-S

Bugnatr
Veteran
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:16 am
FJRModel: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
2008 Hondapotmas, 2000 KLR650
Location: Downtown Peardale, Ca
x 386
x 345

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by Bugnatr » Sat May 19, 2018 1:36 am

Pants, if you think tires cost a lot now just wait till you are retired and riding 25,000 miles a year.


That's why I am still working.
13 KTM 990 Supermoto, 08 Hippo, 07 KLR the GoldWing of thumpers.

User avatar
Uncle Hud
Veteran
Posts: 1421
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:52 pm
FJRModel: 2015 ES, scratched and gouged
Location: Smyrna, metro Atlanta
x 1315
x 506

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by Uncle Hud » Mon May 21, 2018 10:31 am

Abercrombie FJR wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:05 am
I'm blocking you. There is no reason to kill my enjoyment of riding trying to figure out how much each km costs. :stickpoke:
Do I have to convert to Canadian dollars if I do the math in KMs? Then convert back to US dollars and miles? Do time zones matter? How about the interest rate on my rebate dollars between when I pay the money and when Dunlop sends me the Visa card --- or actually, when I spend the rebate dollars?

Damn, Bungie Man. Not enough brain cells left to calculate all that stuff. I'll just stick to riding my FFF. (Fun-as-F*** FJR.)
_________________ You can't get into trouble in second gear. _________________

User avatar
Geezer
Veteran
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:58 am
FJRModel: 2005
x 4
x 72

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by Geezer » Mon May 21, 2018 11:08 am

The important factors in tire selection are how well the tire works for you, in your environment and your riding style, and whether you have enough rubber to get home.

If we were really concerned about pennies per mile or per km then we would be riding much less powerful machines, and having less fun. ;)
wheatonFJR and bill lumberg loved this

User avatar
El Toro Joe
Veteran
Posts: 2147
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:22 pm
FJRModel: 2016ES
Location: North Coast of Ohio
x 1226
x 483

Re: The Dunlop Road Smart III compared to Michelin PR2/PR4GT Dilemma

Post by El Toro Joe » Mon May 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Uncle Hud wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:31 am
Abercrombie FJR wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:05 am
I'm blocking you. There is no reason to kill my enjoyment of riding trying to figure out how much each km costs. :stickpoke:
Do I have to convert to Canadian dollars if I do the math in KMs? Then convert back to US dollars and miles? Do time zones matter? How about the interest rate on my rebate dollars between when I pay the money and when Dunlop sends me the Visa card --- or actually, when I spend the rebate dollars?

Damn, Bungie Man. Not enough brain cells left to calculate all that stuff. I'll just stick to riding my FFF. (Fun-as-F*** FJR.)
Damn...my head hurts now :(
wheatonFJR loved this
"RIP Petey"

Post Reply