Jolene, Jolene, Jolene...

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: Jolene, Jolene, Jolene...

Post by gixxerjasen »

Yep, if your forks aren't usable anymore, you've successfully pulled off a GixxerJasen.
HotRodZilla loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:37 pm...
Saying that 3 times for emphasis or what?? :D
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

NTXFJR wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:13 pm
wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:37 pm...
Saying that 3 times for emphasis or what?? :D
Yeah, it's my way way of saying you ain't but a scurvy little spider! <Jimmy Stewart>
NTXFJR loved this
dsmack
Squid
FJRModel: 2006 FJR 1300 - Sold; 2011 Suzuki 1250FA

Post by dsmack »

Finding and reading your excellent transmission repair thread last night was the best thing I could have done with my time! ;)

Kudos for having balls enough to dive in to the innards as you did, and then documenting what you found and repaired... that is just the type of thread that can help others, and potentially save thousands of bucks.

I'll bet next time you two will be able to beat "Flat Rate" for the job, too!
Don
Viper_Dad and LKLD loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

And the story continues....

After 7.....YES......SEVEN trips to DMV, I finally got the title. Of course the registration was wrong, listing it as a BLACK bike. MotherF'ers. Why so much hate towards Jolene?

I called to complain about the color being wrong on the registration. So I get multiple envelopes in my mailbox from DMV about a week later. Keep in mind, I should have 1 month decal and 1 year decal. This is what I have now...

Worthless idiots.

Finally....

Now back to work, front forks off, forks drained, parts and oil here, heading to see Bob this weekend. I don't know shit about forks, but the oil had a strong odor and was like water. I'm sure it was worn out. On the last ride, I tried to see how it felt. It seemed to take the down stroke on a bump (compression?) decent but when coming back up (rebound?), it seemed like it was hollow.

I've got a set of Helibar risers to put on after this, and then it's about wrapped up.
wheatonFJR and LKLD loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

She was definitely squishy, as mentioned, and getting that done will make her a new bike!

After riding Janna (2016 ES) for a couple of thousand miles, I've come to this conclusion.

Jolene is faster. No matter how hard I excel on Janna, it's just not the same thrill I got from Jolene. Jolene just pulled stronger and faster. Of course this is all subjective, but Janna just doesn't give that "Holy shit!" acceleration.

Janna, on the other hand, falls into corners. She is just so easy to lay over, compared to Jolene. Jolene had to be worked over. However, Janna feels much lighter, and feels more organic, and easy to ride to the edges of the tires,

I can hardly wait to test Janna on the mountain roads next month!

Steve, I'm so glad to see the DMV thing getting straightened out. :D k
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Several comments:
Lotsa fork oils stink right out of the brand new container. It's really hydraulic fluid, doesn't go bad per se, just gets contaminated from aluminum oxide from the lower bushing riding up and down in the aluminum lower tube (non-ES). OEM fork oil M1 viscosity is a bit thin, said to be 5W but it's more like 3.5W. Squishy... combo of not enough preload on the progressive front springs and your damping settings. But with that mileage, new bushings and oil will make it feel brand new again. New non OEM oil will be a higher viscosity.

I'll offer a theory on the '16 seeming slower (you're not the first one to say so), the gearing on 1 and 2 is taller, maybe needs a wee bit more twist of the wrist. IF you're using Touring mode, well.... gotta twist even more. 4 and 5 are less tall, in theory should zip a bit faster for same throttle input over the 5 speed. Falling into turns..... tars and tar pressures. That 36 psi front recommendation is too low.
Uncle Hud, wheatonFJR, and LKLD loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

That's interesting Rob. I hope, at the end of this, Jolene is back to handling like a dream.

Ray, I went with the Bel Ray 5W. I wanted to go 7W but they didn't have any, so I got what they had. At least their 5W is close to 5, as opposed to the Yamaha stuff.
wheatonFJR loved this

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Everybody knows that the '13s are fastest. True story bra.
LKLD and wheatonFJR loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

bungie4 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:29 pm Everybody knows that the '03s are fastest. True story bra.
Fixed it for you. :D
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:32 pm
bungie4 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:29 pm Everybody knows that the '13s are fastest...
Fixed it for you. :D
You are so correct!
LKLD loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Its true.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

I got my hands on parts of Jolene today! We took care of the forks. That oil was nasty. The right fork had a lot of "gunk" at the bottom. Steve can attest to that. I let him clean it. The other one wasn't bad as it doesn't have as many moving parts. First time I did Gen3 forks. Steve can attest to the puzzled look on my face when I noticed no dampening adjustments on the left fork. I checked and restored the dampening settings and put the pre-load at 2 lines out. With the new and heavier oil I don't think he will want it at one line. Easy to change, though. I think he will feel a very noticeable difference.
LKLD, Viper_Dad, and wheatonFJR loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
Viper_Dad
FJRModel: 2013

Post by Viper_Dad »

LKLD, I can attest to the fact that Jolene is MUCH quicker than Raven, my '08. My bike is in excellent mechanical shape but acts like a 10 year old bike. Jolene, on the other hand, responds immediately and made me shout expletives more than once, especially in Sport Mode. I have no doubt the fork oil change will make her lean like the Tower of Pisa!
LKLD loved this
2013 - "Jolene"
Peter
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Viper_Dad wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:01 pm LKLD, I can attest to the fact that Jolene is MUCH quicker than Raven, my '08. My bike is in excellent mechanical shape but acts like a 10 year old bike. Jolene, on the other hand, responds immediately and made me shout expletives more than once, especially in Sport Mode. I have no doubt the fork oil change will make her lean like the Tower of Pisa!
...As long as he brought her fresh rubbers.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

ViperDad, if I could make a suggestion, and you're not too emotionally attached to Raven, perhaps the blackbird should be set free to nest in another home and keep Jolene "in the family" so to speak. Like the end of a Disney movie (see the Florida connection here?), everybody lives happily ever after.... yeah I know it's more complicated than that......
Hppants, Viper_Dad, and Intech loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

A HUGE thanks to FU Bob. That’s Fork University Bob to me! Everything came apart and went back together fine. The lower bushings were showing copper in spots so I think the timing was right.

Stupid me, I should have asked if Bob needed a second set of hands putting his PAIR plates on. That hit me about 3 hours later. Sorry for not thinking to offer that Bob!

One confusing point is the damper(or rebound) adjustment knob on the top of the right fork has a heck of a lot more clicks than the book calls for. When I stopped by to drop the forks off, I checked my bike and it also has nearly 40 available clicks. So what we did looks the same as my bike, but the book says it’s a lot less clicks. Any insight into that, Ray?

I hoped to get them on tonight but it’ll have to wait until tomorrow.
wheatonFJR loved this

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

The number of clicks will vary from fork to fork.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Loosen top pinch bolt. Undo fork cap all the way (back off preload first, it will "pop" up). Loosen the nut (14mm & 24mm wrenches), remove cap by unscrewing it. Push down on the damper rod inside the cartridge tube. Do you feel a spring pushing back on you as you push down on the rod? Say yes if you can. If you say no, we'll talk (ya got parts missing and they're in the drain pan at Bob's). So that was a check to see that the rebound needle and spring are down there at the bottom of the cartridge. If they are, great, might be the fork cap was not screwed all the way down on the cartridge before snugging up that 14mm nut... it should bottom out (turn preload adjuster in a touch so it it flush with bottom of the cap, make sure 14mm nut is run down far enough/almost all the way against the spacer before spinning the top cap back on. Snug up nut, reinstall fork cap, tighten pinch bolt. How many clicks you got now from lightly seated? Should be 21-ish, 40 is a few too many, but doesn't necessarily mean missing parts.
On Gen1/2 this wasn't a problem, Gen 3 when the forks are turned upside down there is a risk of the needle and spring falling out, nothing to hold it in there but gravity. If memory serves, sum guy named Wheatie found out at a Griff tech day we had..... which was my first Gen3A fork experience.
wheatonFJR loved this