Auxiliary Tank

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
Joe2Lmaker
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

Auxiliary Tank

Post by Joe2Lmaker »

griff and I go way back. It seems like only yesterday I was giving him riding lessons: "How to safely ride around obstructions in your path".
When this decent, kind, gentle, man contacted me asking about an auxiliary tank for his bike, I wanted to help. But, helping griff opens up a whole can-o-worms.

Let me start with a story:

A long time ago, in a world much different than ours, there was a toolmaker named Joe.
He was passionate about his 2006 FJR and wanted the best for it. When he decided it was time for an auxiliary tank, he searched far and wide for the finest tank in the land. Unable to obtain a suitable accessory, he decided to design and build his own. After many late nights, and one major false start, he finally created a GenII Auxiliary Tank (a.k.a. the Tag-Along Tank).

Wanting to share his treasure, and also seeking to pay its many costs, Joe arranged a group buy and several tanks were sold to very happy owners. Time passed and others wanted their own tanks so a second group buy was arranged.

Joe went on to create auxiliary tanks for the Gen 1 FJR, as well as a mounting bracket for a JAZZ tank that was very unique, and a rear seat replacing rack for the Gen 1.
...and Joe was happy.

Believe it or not, that was the short story! To sum up: For griff to get a tank, multiples would need to be made. So, I thought I would post a few photos. ...maybe (re)introduce my work to new FJR owners who have never heard of me or my work.

There might be one improvement I might incorporate from lessons learned on the Gen 1 tanks. I'm not sure I can make it work for the Gen IIs, Gen IIIs (or are we calling them Gen 2.5?) I will look into a different on/off valve:

Please add any comments you might have as an owner of one of these tanks.
Ask questions.
If anyone needs rider instruction regarding "How to pass safely on the left" I am always available.

I suppose the last line of a post is not the ideal place to state that the purpose of this post is to ascertain the level of interest in another short production run of these tanks, but ...
wheatonFJR loved this
Twigg
FJRModel: 2005 FJR1300A

Re: Auxiliary Tank

Post by Twigg »

Funny this should come up. I was just asked about my tank on another forum. I always wanted the "Tag-a-long", but missed the group buy and I needed one for a Gen 1 anyway.

I came up with this, which Boyd Welding shipped to me for under $300:

Joe2Lmaker
Casual Rider

Post by Joe2Lmaker »

Twigg,
What does your reply have to do with what griff wants?
Joe

Edit: What I hear you saying is: "I wanted a DaVinci, but settled for a Duchamp"
That tank is an abortion. Congratulations on it only costing 300 bucks. I have a fully digested omelet I will give you for nothing.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

I'll bite. What kind of ball park are we looking at for a copy like your original setup?
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

OK, before this goes off the rails, it sounds like griff wants Joe to make him a tank and in order for Joe to make that tank not be prohibitively expensive for griff he'd like to sell a few. Sounds reasonable.

Here's what I know, the tanks Joe makes are incredibly well made and Joe is meticulous about his work. I also know he's gone to great lengths to make sure they fit just right. So they are quite the product, it's too bad I have to pee long before I'd have to get gas...

Joe's a good guy, a good rider, and occasionally humorous, although maybe unintentionally.
wheatonFJR loved this
Twigg

Post by Twigg »

Joe2Lmaker wrote:Twigg,
What does your reply have to do with what griff wants?
Joe

Edit: What I hear you saying is: "I wanted a DaVinci, but settled for a Duchamp"
That tank is an abortion. Congratulations on it only costing 300 bucks. I have a fully digested omelet I will give you for nothing.
Yours is pretty, but quite honestly your appalling rudeness does you no credit.

Even with the group buy yours cost a small fortune, and you might consider a different manufacturer next time. It would pay to shop around and save those relying on you a considerable amount of money.

f@$k me for simply using an auxiliary tank thread for, oh, I dunno, showing an auxiliary tank.

ps ... mine is that shape because I specifically wanted the space to mount a 20" duffle on top ... but you didn't think to ask before starting a pissing contest.
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by griff »

Geez, why can't we all get along. Thank you Marty for putting this in perspective. And Twigg - if you want to to promote your own tank, start another thread.
wheatonFJR loved this
Twigg

Post by Twigg »

griff wrote:Geez, why can't we all get along. Thank you Marty for putting this in perspective. And Twigg - if you want to to promote your own tank, start another thread.
I wasn't "promoting" anything.

And I'll post in any thread I like.

He could have said ... "Nice tank Twigg", and moved on. Or better still, said nothing at all.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

So if this is a group buy thread, it should have been posted in Group Buys & Vendor Discounts, not in Farkles.

And there are no good looking auxiliary tanks. Just less bad looking ones. :nhlfight:
TimDog!
0face
Contributor
Veteran

Post by 0face »

Twigg wrote:
griff wrote:Geez, why can't we all get along. Thank you Marty for putting this in perspective. And Twigg - if you want to to promote your own tank, start another thread.
I wasn't "promoting" anything.

And I'll post in any thread I like.

He could have said ... "Nice tank Twigg", and moved on. Or better still, said nothing at all.
Everybody take a deep breath, Joe's not a bad guy and neither is Twigg. I've had one of my for sale threads interrupted by somebody pointing to somebody selling a similar thing cheaper and it annoyed the shit out of me. I highly doubt Twigg was trying to re-direct a sale. I think he was honestly being helpful.

Having said that I believe Joe was just trying to gauge interest in a group buy. That's all. He doesn't post here very often and his frame of reference is the other forum where people aren't as nice. He's had his share of being treated poorly by them. So, I get his reaction, I also get Twigg's offended sensibility. Forum posts and texts often get misinterpreted from the intended message. It's the nature of quickly written things.

Everybody, take a step back and just relax.
wheatonFJR loved this
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by griff »

Ahh, Marty the moderator. Nice job. :D :D
wheatonFJR and Abercrombie FJR loved this
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

"Marty the moderator". Nice!
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

So, Anyone interested in the crazy Minnesotan's aux tank?
I'm with Marty, good piece of work, from what I've seen.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Joe2Lmaker
Casual Rider

Post by Joe2Lmaker »

I was going to edit my original edit and was thinking about the exact wording as I was getting my day going.
Too late.
I see my overly strong language has already been quoted and I'm stuck with that.
I apologize.

Also, a friend pointed out that my rash remark about Duchamp was totally wrong.
In fact, Marcel Duchamp would probably appreciate these tanks.
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012

Post by FJRfarrier »

Well, you've got my attention. Sitting at the edge of my seat. Chomping at the bit. Pawing at the gate. (Alright, that's enough idioms...)

But seriously though- that is the closest actual design of an auxillary tank that matches the design ideas in my head.
I'm extremely interested. Let me know a dollar amount to be saving up - and some details of production and all that jazz.

I've got a Gen 2 that it would be going on. Thanks!
I haven’t made any really bad decisions lately... I’m getting bored.

IBA #60909
Gramps
FJRModel: '13 Tiger Explorer

Post by Gramps »

I must say Joe, I do enjoy your posts. :lol:
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views." Doctor Who 1/22/1977

Marc
Joe2Lmaker
Casual Rider

Post by Joe2Lmaker »

There has always been a two tank minimum. There were two prototypes, a two tank minimum in the first group buy, same in the second. Also, I made two prototype Gen I tanks.

The reason for this is because I was not a sheet metal fabricator and needed a fairly sophisticated fabrication shop to do the work for me. That shop imposed the minimum, because of the amount of setup required to make one.

A word about sourcing. I was a toolmaker. I am now a tooling engineer. I work with suppliers for a living. I know a little about requesting quotes and negotiating price. My employer gave me an award for my cost savings efforts. It's kindofabigdeal. If you haven't noticed, I'm very sensitive when people tell me what these should cost.

So, by my count, we're at three curious people. I will get current pricing. I imagine there will once again be a discount if five or more tanks are ordered. I expect the cost will be north of 800 dollars each, plus packaging and shipping.

Feel free to ask questions. I understand that the entire design progression is not on this forum. I posted a link to it in another thread: GenII Auxiliary Tank (a.k.a. Tag-Along Tank)
Or: Try this link: Auxiliary Cell Design

There is a ton of content there. Free content, just given away... and now behind some veil, unsearchable from the Internet.
Last edited by Joe2Lmaker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FJRfarrier
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012

Post by FJRfarrier »

I like. I like a lot.

In the pics- I see two different styles of filler ports. flush, and not-so-flush. Is one of those the final design, or added custom piece?

(I should probably just read through the thread on the entire design process..... that would probably answer most of my inquiries.)

Thanks!
I haven’t made any really bad decisions lately... I’m getting bored.

IBA #60909
0face
Contributor
Veteran

Post by 0face »

Some of us aren't allowed to see behind the curtain over there. The almighty Oz has banished the truth..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wheatonFJR loved this
Joe2Lmaker
Casual Rider

Post by Joe2Lmaker »

FJRfarrier wrote:... the thread on the entire design process..... that would probably answer most of my inquiries...
Yes it would. I have a custom filler neck that would blow your mind. It's one of my treasures that I will eventually use. I'm sure I gave away all the secrets in the design thread. Basically, there is a weld bung with a certain thread diameter and pitch which matches a certain locking screw cap.

If you look, I'm sure I gave it all away over there. Not that I am encouraging you to go "over there". My intention when I posted it was to share the wealth, not to enrich some few with entitlement and perks... as if they created the content.
0face loved this