STS Smart Turn System

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: STS Smart Turn System

Post by raYzerman »

For lane cancelling to work, activate it a second before you lean at all to make the lane change. If you lean first, it likely won't cancel until said 20 seconds.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

DesignFlaw06 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:58 pm
FJR Kiwi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm I have a had couple of decent size rides recently and frankly I am disappointed with the performance of this device which does not perform at the lane changes. I had no such issue with my 1997 BMW K1200RS. I see little point in having this facility if it only does part of the business. Next time the side panel comes off I will decomission the STS.
My expectations weren't that high I guess. I anticipated the same performance as my truck, which it has. Plus it will only keep the signal on for 20 seconds if I do forget during a lane change. It didn't take long to get used to canceling the same way you activate it.

Honestly before you take it off, you should fire an email off to STS and see what they have to say about it.
^^^This^^^
Mine cancels quickly after negotiating a turn, near perfectly imho. Highway lane changes do seem to take a little longer like Tim says, but it always cancels at some point for me when I've overlooked it. Iirc, in addition to lean angle, the unit also senses vibration frequency as part of it's logic matrix, so vibration conduction to the sensor unit would be important.
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

NTXFJR wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:22 pm
FJR Kiwi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm I have a had couple of decent size rides recently and frankly I am disappointed with the performance of this device which does not perform at the lane changes. I had no such issue with my 1997 BMW K1200RS. I see little point in having this facility if it only does part of the business. Next time the side panel comes off I will decomission the STS.
My expectations weren't that high I guess. I anticipated the same performance as my truck, which it has. Plus it will only keep the signal on for 20 seconds if I do forget during a lane change. It didn't take long to get used to canceling the same way you activate it.

Honestly before you take it off, you should fire an email off to STS and see what they have to say about it.
^^^This^^^
Mine cancels quickly after negotiating a turn, near perfectly imho. Highway lane changes do seem to take a little longer like Tim says, but it always cancels at some point for me when I've overlooked it. Iirc, in addition to lean angle, the unit also senses vibration frequency as part of it's logic matrix, so vibration conduction to the sensor unit would be important.
Good point. Where I have mine mounted it is relatively insulated from vibration being attached to the main frame stay in the front fairing. Maybe it would be better to attach to the frame near the engine cradle.
FJR Kiwi
Squid
FJRModel: 2008

Post by FJR Kiwi »

Yes, I have emailed STS and they are adamant that the device should work at lane changes and are looking for solutions, I have my doubts though and I think this is about as good as it is going to get. As I said my old dinosuar BMW has a superior system that worked every time and that was made way back in 1997! You probably are right though that my expectations were too high, but I find nothing more annoying than aftermarket parts that don't stack up. I really do hope STS do come up with a solution though, I will keep you posted.

Tony Doms, Tauranga, New Zealand
2008 FJR1300AX - Two Tone Silver and Blue
FJR Kiwi
Squid

Post by FJR Kiwi »

I have persisting bleating to the STS people about this thing not working at lane changes, they suggested I get rid of the Velccro from the mounting because it absorbs the bikes vibrations which are necessary for the device to work properly, I stripped the Velcro and re-tied the unit dircetly to the L-bracket without the Velcro, it operates correctly now.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

FJR Kiwi wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:07 pm I have persisting bleating to the STS people about this thing not working at lane changes, they suggested I get rid of the Velccro from the mounting because it absorbs the bikes vibrations which are necessary for the device to work properly, I stripped the Velcro and re-tied the unit dircetly to the L-bracket without the Velcro, it operates correctly now.
Interesting. That surprises me that the Velcro makes that much of a difference. I may try that, but probably not until the snow flies. You used the L bracket same as John and I did or was it mounted elsewhere?
TimDog!
John d
Veteran

Post by John d »

FJR Kiwi wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:07 pm I have persisting bleating to the STS people about this thing not working at lane changes, they suggested I get rid of the Velccro from the mounting because it absorbs the bikes vibrations which are necessary for the device to work properly, I stripped the Velcro and re-tied the unit dircetly to the L-bracket without the Velcro, it operates correctly now.
I'll bet it still doesn't work on the freeway when you do a lane change just by drifting over to it, nor would I expect or want it too.
FJR Kiwi
Squid

Post by FJR Kiwi »

John d wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:34 pm
I'll bet it still doesn't work on the freeway when you do a lane change just by drifting over to it, nor would I expect or want it too.
Yes you are right, you need to make the turns deliberate, just drifting won't do it, taking the Velcro away has made a big difference though, I have it mounted on the L bracket same as above, but I intend to move it to a metal fastening on the bike to increase sensitivity.
John d
Veteran

Post by John d »

There is a Pre-Black Friday sale on for this unit for the first ten people.
Enter coupon code "FIFTYOFF"
Just thought I'd pass it along. Not sure it will work for everybody.
LowLevelFJRPilot
Squid
FJRModel: 2016 FJR 1300A

Post by LowLevelFJRPilot »

Has anyone on a Gen3 put together a more detailed installation instruction for this system using a harness like DesignFlaw06 used? I am really not keen on using positaps or cutting into the wiring harness on my bike. Had enough fun back in the day with my '06 and the Spider issue. I don't want to take a chance on MamaYama slapping me if I have a warranty issue.
John d
Veteran

Post by John d »

It was August 5 years ago when I installed mine using the supplied taps, and cutting into the wiring. Still working fine after 40,000 miles.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

On Gen3, you make the connections in the nose..... 10-way connectors 2013-15, 13-way 2016-up. You can splice in, and it's not hard.... looks like this when you're done.....

STS module is attached to homemade bracket fastened by the one screw on the back of the instrument panel, two-way tape or velcro and maybe a zip tie around it.
The red and black wires to the left are the power and ground to the STS module, which you can get switched power via a fuse tap to the Hazard fuse.

http://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopi ... cancelling

Quote from another sandbox,

"If one wanted to do this on a gen 3 version ('13-'15) with a connector by-pass as noted in an earlier thread on the other forum, then Eastern Beaver sells this exact connector male and female. I bought the L version and possible wire it up this weekend. Half-way down the page is the 10 wire connector.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec_ ... ts025.html

It is what Ray stated earlier. The way I will configure it in that bundle, remember you have to intercept 3 of the path of wires in that bundle. This is my opinion from the service manual wiring diagram and what I see in the 10 wire connector. DO NOT confuse the black/white wire with the white/black wire in the bundle. REMEMBER: the color goes as: wire color/stripe color

From the handlebar:
STS purple to white/black from handlebar
STS brown to Blue/Red from handlebar
STS white to white/yellow from handlebar

To the turn signals:
STS yellow to white/yellow to signal
STS blue to blue/red to signal
STS green to white/black to signal"
RedRiderMN
Squid
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by RedRiderMN »

FJR Kiwi wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:05 pm
I have a had couple of decent size rides recently and frankly I am disappointed with the performance of this device which does not perform at the lane changes. I had no such issue with my 1997 BMW K1200RS. I see little point in having this facility if it only does part of the business. Next time the side panel comes off I will decommission the STS.

I had a similar disappointment on my 2014A, the bloody device didn't react to lane changes! I found that I had to forcefully flick the front end from side to side in order to get the flashing to stop. I got tired of having to do that and ripped it out. In the process of removing the rubber pads in the turn signal switch, I messed that up and had to order a new one (just over 200 bucks for the switch!). I was actually glad to be rid of it, as the PO who installed it didn't do such a robust wiring job and the new switch and wiring harness replaced all that mess. Now back to manually turning off my turn signals, oh well.
2014A - My first FJR! :shock:
Previous bikes: '73 Honda CB175, '75 Honda CB360T, '72 BMW R75/5, '83 BMW R80RT, '97 BMW K1100LT
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I'll just add my experience.....the lane change feature is sensitive, and if you leaning slightly before engaging the signal, it may not cancel when you get back upright with your lane change. It will time out after ~20 flashes also. You should anticipate and engage while you are upright, make your lane change then it should work properly..... if not, you can hit the button again and it will cancel (or wait for the time-out).
John d
Veteran

Post by John d »

What Ray says, plus my thoughts......

My truck and car need manual cancellation as well for lane changes. No big deal. Lane changes at freeway speeds are more problematic than low speed in town lane changes. In town, low speed lane change cancellation works well as long as the lane changes are deliberate and signaled prior moving over. This unit cannot tell if you are just drifting into another lane.