It began on March 18, 2011...

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
bluesdog
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2011

It began on March 18, 2011...

Post by bluesdog »

Rode my brand new, zero Km FJR for the first time.

I'd pre-purchased the bike, (first time I'd ever pre-purchased a vehicle!)

I had never even seen an FJR in the flesh, let alone ridden one. I was sold on the picture, and my previous good experiences with Yamaha motorcycles: XS-750, XS-11, and various borrowed Yamaha dirt bikes.

I hadn't ridden since '96, and that was during my brief, disappointing flirtation with an HD Road King, (that bike was a pig)

As soon as I threw my leg over the FJR, I knew I had returned to a place that I had forgotten, but which was instantly known. The bike just fit me, and I the bike.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the rest: How smooth and powerful; how well-mannered and responsive; how elegant and how much sheer fun this bike was/is

There were small echoes of memories of my XS-11, and vast ones reflecting the dissimilarity between the FJR and the HD-RK

~~~

The very next week, I installed frame sliders.

And that's when it REALLY began...

Modifications and additions to date:

performance:
  • AK-20 fork cartridges with bottom out cup modification, and Penske 8983
    PCV with autotune
    Staintune mufflers
protection
  • T-rex frame sliders
    Headlight protection film
    protection film on sidebags
    Cox radiator guard
    fender extender
electrical:
  • Fuzeblock
    battery-tender pigtail
visibility and lighting
  • Clearwater Ericas and Glendas (amber)
    Hyperlites limited flashing brake/running/signal module, plate mount
    Reflective side bag decals
    (reflective fairing decals TBD)
comfort:
  • Corbin seats
    Alaska sheep pad
    Cee Bailey flip pale grey standard windscreen
    Grip Buddies (not yet installed)

convenience:
  • Wyn-pro PAIR system block-off plates
    Garauld small tail rack (black)
    Throttlemeister heavy brushed bar ends
    Corbin smuggler
chassis
  • Garauld rear subframe reinfocement kit
    Custom handlebar mini-rack for phone/gps etc
    (Also doubles as a switch/control housing for the Clearwater lights)
frivolous:
  • Chrome skull license plate bolts

I think I'm nearly done...
When life throws you a curve, lean into it
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: It began on March 18, 2011...

Post by wheatonFJR »

My journey echoed yours...XS11...long layoff...that great feeling with the FJR.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Doesn't exist without pictures!
bluesdog
Casual Rider

Post by bluesdog »

0face wrote:Doesn't exist without pictures!
Patience, weedhopper..

Maybe tomorrow. I want to test out my new prime lens anyway, so if it isn't bucketing rain, I'll push the feej out onto the lawn for some beauty shots.

It'll be sans cute girl.... this time....
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

The sad thing is that my XS11 will blow away anything that Harley makes with the exception of the newer V-Rods (HarleyPorches). It eats Road Pigs like bacon....

...then I throw a leg over its younger brother. The FJR eats V-Rats like the XS eats Road Pigs. Plus I don't have to change jets every time the weather changes. The FJR is the refined version of what the XS would have grown up to be. I truly believe that. Just look at the XJR. I think the V-Max is the druggie cousin with too many tattoos version of what the XS would have grown up to be. I'd love to ride a V-max some time.

Anyway you slice it, Yamaha uses experience and makes it better year after year. Its no wonder you have stuck with the tuning fork logo.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
bluesdog
Casual Rider

Post by bluesdog »

The only thing I really disliked about my '78 XS-11 was the gawd-awful maroon paint job. Thing was scary fast for its day.

I currently am sloooowly restoring an 81 XS-11 Trans-Canada, (Venturer in the US, iirc)

I have the stock fairing, bags and trunk, but the stock mufflers were toast, so I got a pair of Harley mufflers, and now am thinking of turning the XS-11 into a retro cafe-racer rather than a resto. I think it might look odd as a semi-restoration, with those torpedo-shaped HD cans.

When I consider how frighteningly quick the FJR is, I get chills imagining twisting the tail on an YZF-R1, Hayabusa, or a ZX-14
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

bluesdog wrote:The only thing I really disliked about my '78 XS-11 was the gawd-awful maroon paint job. Thing was scary fast for its day.

I currently am sloooowly restoring an 81 XS-11 Trans-Canada, (Venturer in the US, iirc)

I have the stock fairing, bags and trunk, but the stock mufflers were toast, so I got a pair of Harley mufflers, and now am thinking of turning the XS-11 into a retro cafe-racer rather than a resto. I think it might look odd as a semi-restoration, with those torpedo-shaped HD cans.

When I consider how frighteningly quick the FJR is, I get chills imagining twisting the tail on an YZF-R1, Hayabusa, or a ZX-14
Yeah, macho maroon wasn't their best color. I have a couple friends with Venturers. Decent road bikes. As for exhaust, if you really want to waste the funds, there is a guy in Germany that makes stainless reproduction exhausts.

There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
bluesdog
Casual Rider

Post by bluesdog »

silverback wrote:... if you really want to waste the funds, there is a guy in Germany that makes stainless reproduction exhausts.

Got a link? I'll take a look, but shipping and import duties would be a buzzkill, I bet. Imagine the cans are pretty $$$ too!

I've seen some badass XS-11 cafe jobs, so it's becoming more likely I'll go that route. Maybe flog the fairing & etc on kijiji or fleabay.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

You've spent a crap load on the bike. Now spend a few on you. Get yourself some rider training. Basic course if you've been off for a long time, or if your comfortable, Lee Parks Total Control.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
bluesdog
Casual Rider

Post by bluesdog »

Thanks Bungie. I've considered rider training, and if the opportunity arises, I'd take the Lee Parks course, but that or any courses I would take are not locally available. The local instructors are really not that good. (No, really!)

I'm a conservative, careful defensive rider, and I don't just 'ride', but practice controlled riding, both the slow 'parking lot' stuff, (if you saw the yard I negotiate each time I go for a ride/return from one, you'd understand), and the proper techniques, such as body positioning, when I'm on the asphalt. I'm one of those fortunate enough to learn by watching others, (both mistakes and skills), and am lucky to be equipped with very fast reflexes and good co-ordination. I wear ATGATT.

I've been street riding since I was legal, and learned to ride first on a small bike - Honda 50 'cub', when I lived in Victoria, BC, (where if it isn't raining, just wait a few minutes..) Yeah, I didn't ride for a number of years, but it seemed to come back real fast. Hell, around here, the non-riding season is so long, you have to learn afresh each spring!

I've viewed the 'twist of the wrist' vid repeatedly, and 'Ride Like a Pro' for the slow stuff. I re-read Hough's 'Proficient Motorcycling' at the start of each season, (Gawd knows it takes long enough to begin around here!)

There's been some talk about building a local track, and if that happens I'll be first in line! Might even pick up a used R6!

~~~

Anyway, as requested, here's a pic I took today:

I didn't go riding, but wanted to start the bike up and check for leaks, missing parts, loose fasteners etc., since I've just completed various maintenance tasks.

Also, I wanted to try out my new prime camera lens -- For those who care about such things, the photo was taken using a Nikon DSLR D5100, using an AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8

the iso at 160, aperture f1.8, shutter speed 1/2500

I took a dozen shots at various angles and distances, and will be posting to my website in short order...
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

bluesdog wrote: Anyway, as requested, here's a pic I took today:

Nice photo!!
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bluesdog
Casual Rider