Small and bright LED driving lights - What did you settle upon?

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
HyperPete
Squid
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300 ES, 2008 M109R, 1999 VMax, 1982 Aspencade (For Sale)

Small and bright LED driving lights - What did you settle upon?

Post by HyperPete »

I'm looking for some small and bright LED driving lights to make my 2016 more visible at night, and to help light up the back roads. I originally planned to use my Kristas (I think, the honkin' big square ones) but they are too big and square for my preferences. I guess I'll settle for something not as bright but smaller and sleeker.

I intend to mount them down near the front axle on custom brackets I had Gary (@Garauld) make me.

I'm sure that the responses are going to be as diverse as if I had asked "what oil should I use" ;) so, have at it!
Links to good deals will be appreciated.

--
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Re: Small and bright LED driving lights - What did you settle upon?

Post by CollingsBob »

I have a pair of these mounted on my crashbars..

https://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/Cr ... 1&CartID=0
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I don't spend a lot of money on these any more. 10 watters are fine for visibility and won't obscure signal lights. Go 20 watts if you like or of course, put a dimmer similar to Skeene if you've got honking power ones and need aux lighting at night (are those ''16 LED headlights any good?).
My 10 watters cost me a whole $25 from overseas, one got broke by a rock, so I replaced it.
Madmudder has some nice ones, come with quick change amber lenses.... can't remember the brand..... amber is quite visible.
I have converted to F2 LED headlamps, so have not much need for aux. lighting. AFAIK you can't convert the OEM LED headlights.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
HyperPete
Squid

Post by HyperPete »

The stock LED headlights are OK, but on dark country roads, I would love to light up much further down the road AND the sides better so I am not surprised by deer.

Since they will be way down by the axle, they will not obscure the turn signals, and they give that recommended triangle of lights for best visibility by oncoming vehicles.

CollingsBob wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:45 pm I have a pair of these mounted on my crashbars..

https://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/Cr ... 1&CartID=0
Those Fenix Cree900 High Intensity LED Lights could definitely work, thanks!
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

I have a set of the round ones from ledrider.com. they flood the shoulder and ditch line well - good for spotting forest rats.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cav47, wheatonFJR, HyperPete and 1 others loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
HyperPete
Squid

Post by HyperPete »

I'm guessing they are the LX3 2.3 Inch Lights? Do they come with wiring and switch, or just bare lights?
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Re: RE: Re: Small and bright LED driving lights - What did you settle upon?

Post by extrememarine »

HyperPete wrote:I'm guessing they are the LX3 2.3 Inch Lights? Do they come with wiring and switch, or just bare lights?
I will check, but sounds correct. I think the original verson was a LR4.

I purchased bare lights. Then Skene controller. Have a set of the Wynnpro brackets that keep the lights tucked in tight to the fairing just below the mirror base.

Have same light (single one) on my DRZ.

Skene controller and 3 position switch gives me 3 light settings plus max with high beams on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FJRPittsburgh loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

I think all the Clearwater lights (including Kristas) are round. I have a set of Clearwater Ericas (BRIGHT) mounted on the mirrors and Glendas with amber lenses on the forks. I am very visible to oncoming traffic during the day, even with Ericas at minimum and Glendas at 30%. Ericas turned to full with high beam turns night into day - perfect for nighttime country roads as long as there are no other drivers to blind.

Having touted the virtues of these amazing lights, I will say that if they weren't on my bike when I got it (used), I wouldn't have bought them. There are way more economical solutions out there. Including the ones from ledrider. MANY others on Amazon and eBay but there is also a lot of junk. Find something with a good reputation even if it costs a little more unless you have time to waste finding the next great deal.
HyperPete loved this
HyperPete
Squid

Post by HyperPete »

FJRoss wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:57 pm I think all the Clearwater lights (including Kristas) are round. I have a set of Clearwater Ericas (BRIGHT) mounted on the mirrors and Glendas with amber lenses on the forks. I am very visible to oncoming traffic during the day, even with Ericas at minimum and Glendas at 30%. Ericas turned to full with high beam turns night into day - perfect for nighttime country roads as long as there are no other drivers to blind.

Having touted the virtues of these amazing lights, I will say that if they weren't on my bike when I got it (used), I wouldn't have bought them. There are way more economical solutions out there. Including the ones from ledrider. MANY others on Amazon and eBay but there is also a lot of junk. Find something with a good reputation even if it costs a little more unless you have time to waste finding the next great deal.
My error. I got the Denalis, the 1st revision of these: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali- ... technology

I had Garauld make me these mounts after doing something similar on another of my bikes:
Obviously, the Denalis are too big and heavy for those mounts - they just kind of flip over at will.
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

I have the Clearwater Darlas. Love them for night work on my S10, I do believe I can see the butt of a termite a half mile out (almost).
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Bugnatr wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:34 am I have the Clearwater Darlas. Love them for night work on my S10, I do believe I can see the butt of a termite a half mile out (almost).
Where did you mount the Darlas? As bright as they are, Clearwater makes three levels brighter - Kristas, Ericas, And Sevinas. I think dcarver has the Sevinas; maybe even two sets? Even the Ericas are overkill for my needs.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Mine are Mondo Motos. Small, round, 10watts, and mounted on the unsprung part of the forks. They've got almost 60K on them, no problems yet (fingers crossed).

I bought a $5 waterproof switch from Amazon and just broke the hot wire on the lights. Current draw is so small, no relay needed. Routed the wires to the Fuze Block - easy peasy.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Bugnatr
Veteran

Post by Bugnatr »

FJRoss wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:12 pm
Bugnatr wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:34 am I have the Clearwater Darlas. Love them for night work on my S10, I do believe I can see the butt of a termite a half mile out (almost).
Where did you mount the Darlas? As bright as they are, Clearwater makes three levels brighter - Kristas, Ericas, And Sevinas. I think dcarver has the Sevinas; maybe even two sets? Even the Ericas are overkill for my needs.
I am the lucky buck who won the Darlas including installation at YFO two years ago. Clearwater mounted them down on the bottom of the forks of my KTM Supermoto. I was wanting the lights to be seen in daytime more than night use,rarely rode that bike at night but they are great for lighting up the road ahead but even better for the shining into the sides where bambi lives. The dimmer control is the bees knees.

Last month I took both the KTM and my new to me Super Tenere to Clearwater (only an hour away!) and had them move the Darlas to a Denili light bar on the S10 just below and outside of the headlights. Surprisingly I can't see much difference at night in either location.

A week ago I rode a 60 mile plus Mendocino Pass dirt forest road at night. Holy cow, it was amazing and once again what I enjoyed most was the light broadcast to the sides. I saw fox, 2 bigass Horned Owls, 3 bigfoot and way too many rabbits and bats to count. Once back on the Tarmac we still had 3 hours of night riding to get home. With the S10 high beams and D's on full running 70mph at night was a blast. Perhaps one of the best rides ever. We did see some Forest Rats with plenty of warning from all the light. I am starting to think with good LED lights I can spot movement from critters better than in the daytime.

Love my Darlas.
dcarver
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: Gen2, Superior 2006, Gen 3 2013 twice as good!

Post by dcarver »

Sevina's on top, Erica's on bottom.

kieefjr and natehawk750 loved this
Bugnatr
Veteran

Post by Bugnatr »

Darlas on the Supertanker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HyperPete
Squid

Post by HyperPete »

WOW! Thanks to everyone for all of your replies! I have a lot to choose from!

I'd still love to find somewhere to mount these, but I don't have any great ideas at the moment.

escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

I'm running at set of LEDRider LR4s on Wynpro mirror brackets. With a Skene controller, they work great for daytime visibility at 20% power and throw a lot of light when I hit the high beams and the 100% trigger.

~G
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

escapefjrtist wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:56 pm I'm running at set of LEDRider LR4s on Wynpro mirror brackets. With a Skene controller, they work great for daytime visibility at 20% power and throw a lot of light when I hit the high beams and the 100% trigger.

~G
I had the same on my '13 FJR - great setup especially when using the Skene Design controller. The Wynpro Brackets are the sturdiest available.
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
dcumpian
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300A

Post by dcumpian »

I have a pair of Denali DM's with the fender mounting bolts. These work great for lighting up the corners, which is what I use them for. I got the hi/low/off switch mounted on the clutch reservoir clamp so I can run them as needed.

Dan
Boyd Moody
Squid
FJRModel: 2016

Post by Boyd Moody »

I put on a pair of Hoglights 40w (76mm square housing) on a couple of police patrol light brackets that extend out from the base of the mirrors. I'm very happy with the light and the price was much more friendly than the alternatives.