Tire Inflator and 12v Socket

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Tire Inflator and 12v Socket

Post by Blueridgerider »

I am just trying to get acclimated to my 2016 FJR and am wondering about being able to use my Slime Digital Tire Inflator with the 12v socket. It has a 15A draw. If not I wonder what most do to power a device like this? Also I would imagine the FJR has no problem with Gerbing heated Gear? Thanks
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Kyote
Squid
FJRModel: 2016 A

Re: Tire Inflator and 12v Socket

Post by Kyote »

My 2016 has had no difficulty with Gerbing heated gloves and jacket liner. Heats up just fine. For emergency air on the road, I carry a Oasser P1 Mini Electric Inflator I purchased from Amazon It has a plug for the glove box outlet, but I always just charge at home and the charge last for several months. It comes with both a home outlet plug and a car charger. Easy to carry. After a year, it went south on me. Contacted the company (Oasser) and they are replacing for me.
Blueridgerider loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

As answered in the other sandbox..... accessory plug has 3 amp fuse... best adapt to a BAttery Tender connection....
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Redfish
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014A and 2015ES

Post by Redfish »

Yes, just as in FJROwners.

No. Do NOT use the socket in the glove box for the compressor. Add a pigtail somewhere.

Yes. The FJR has plenty of electrical capacity to run heated gear. Just not through that socket!
Blueridgerider and wheatonFJR loved this
Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas all at the same time.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

As someone who's had a flat on the side of the road and had their "buddy" plug in their handy dandy portable compressor to my accessory plug, I can assure you if you are depending on that to inflate your tire, you are in for a treat. It instantly blows the fuse and then you are left with a blown fuse and a flat tire. It has to be wired to the battery.

I skipped that and just carry CO2 cartridges. 8-9 of them inflate a tire and they are easy to store, require no power. If I hadn't had them that evening, we'd have been in a bad place, since I was already down on the side of the interstate.
Blueridgerider and Redfish loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Redfish had to add wiring to power his curling iron and sheep shears.... no not for him, but the hairy backed thing he lives with.... he does have trouble keeping the sheep shears sharpened. :twisted:
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Do we really have to add the snarky bullshit about the question being answered on OTHER forums? He's a new guy. Beside you both have blown a lot more than fuses by the side of the road.. so STFU up with that.
Powerman, griff, Redfish and 1 others loved this
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Blueridgerider wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:33 am I am just trying to get acclimated to my 2016 FJR and am wondering about being able to use my Slime Digital Tire Inflator with the 12v socket. It has a 15A draw. If not I wonder what most do to power a device like this? Also I would imagine the FJR has no problem with Gerbing heated Gear? Thanks
Since you're new to the FJR, look into getting a FuseBlock. You are going to be adding more than just the ability to power the Slime pump. My guess is there's a few more Farkles in your future.

As for Ray, he can't even put fork seals in correctly, and Redfish is the red-headed-step-child everybody ignores. Pay them no mind.
raYzerman, griff, LKLD and 1 others loved this
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

0face wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:22 pm Do we really have to add the snarky bullshit about the question being answered on OTHER forums? He's a new guy. Beside you both have blown a lot more than fuses by the side of the road.. so STFU up with that.
Thanks for that. I am just getting started with the FJR as stated but have been on other forums for many moons with other bikes so I am not at all wet behind the years. I am just trying my best to feel all the different sites out and hope to get comfortable where I will mostly hang out. So far this has been the most welcoming. One thing that is hard for me to swallow is responses to good questions that offer no value or worse have a trolling negative feel to it. I certainly hope not to find that here especially. Thanks, I appreciate you having my back.
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

I purchased this today from Amazon that will certainly do the trick. Thanks for those who offered positive responses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7 ... UTF8&psc=1
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

Blueridgerider wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:20 pm
0face wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:22 pm Do we really have to add the snarky bullshit about the question being answered on OTHER forums? He's a new guy. Beside you both have blown a lot more than fuses by the side of the road.. so STFU up with that.
Thanks for that. I am just getting started with the FJR as stated but have been on other forums for many moons with other bikes so I am not at all wet behind the years. I am just trying my best to feel all the different sites out and hope to get comfortable where I will mostly hang out. So far this has been the most welcoming. One thing that is hard for me to swallow is responses to good questions that offer no value or worse have a trolling negative feel to it. I certainly hope not to find that here especially. Thanks, I appreciate you having my back.
Blue, sadly most of us are on at least one of the Other Forums. Neither Ray nor I meant to give a "negative feel" or make you feel unwelcome.

Hang around on all 3 and then decide. I bet your opinion of different members and different forums evolves over time.

And just a word of warning here... When 0face "has your back" that is usually not going to end well. Just sayin' :twisted:
Blueridgerider, wheatonFJR, and raYzerman loved this
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

Redfish wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:48 pm
Blue, sadly most of us are on at least one of the Other Forums. Neither Ray nor I meant to give a "negative feel" or make you feel unwelcome.

Hang around on all 3 and then decide. I bet your opinion of different members and different forums evolves over time.

And just a word of warning here... When 0face "has your back" that is usually not going to end well. Just sayin' :twisted:
What the hell am I getting myself into??? :shock:
Redfish loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

Just relax. You bought a Great Motorcycle. Attend some FJR events. Meet some folks. It'll be Fun...
wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Redfish wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:29 pm Just relax. You bought a Great Motorcycle. Attend some FJR events. Meet some folks. It'll be Fun...
What he said...
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

That will work.

I carry the slime air pump under my back seat, tucked under the lip of the rear cowling - it will stand up there, and I have a strip of Velcro wrapped around the sub frame that holds it in place.

To save from carrying the adapter (like you purchased), I removed the end of the cord (on the air compressor) and wired a SAE connector; I have the battery tender pigtail wired direct to the battery (swapped to a 25a fuse) so I can plug the compressor in directly without the extra adapter cable.
Blueridgerider wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:23 pm I purchased this today from Amazon that will certainly do the trick. Thanks for those who offered positive responses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7 ... UTF8&psc=1
Blueridgerider loved this
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

I think you'll find each FJR site has it's own unique personality. Many of the members are active on the 3 (fjrforum, fjrowners, and here). The sarcasm meter usually runs a little higher here than others, but don't let that deter you.

Welcome - as others have mentioned - get to an event - the FJR Eastern Owners Meet is coming up in September (shameless plug)...
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

Thanks for info on the owners meeting. I am going to try to attend.
2017 Kawasaki Z900
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

I have been using these to tap both the positive and negative terminals of the battery. The spade connector tabs can be bent up/down as required. The SAE connector I use is connected to one terminal of these taps for charging and as a voltage source for things like a tire pump.

Aerostich makes a nice tire kit that fits into the tail of the bike quite nicely. I have unfortunately needed to use this kit on the road and it worked great. The only thing the kit is missing is something like pliers to pull out the item that punctured the tire. I picked up a dry wall screw that had no head; the threads made it a bustard of a job to pull out. Fortunately, my pillion has a very nice Leatherman that she let me use and it did the job.

Redfish and wheatonFJR loved this
Redfish
Veteran

Post by Redfish »

I don't have the full kit but I do have the Aerostich pump with all the neat little connectors. It works great and it packs small.

@Blueridgerider do not get dragged into that EOM thing. The guy that heads it up runs the whole thing like he was Ivan the Terrible running a dictatorship. He has all the charm of Attila the Hun on a bad day. Once he gets control of things there is no stopping the tyranny. I heard he runs a motorcycle forum and the whole group of folks are just as mean as he is.
bill lumberg loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Redfish wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:43 am I don't have the full kit but I do have the Aerostich pump with all the neat little connectors. It works great and it packs small.

@Blueridgerider do not get dragged into that EOM thing. The guy that heads it up runs the whole thing like he was Ivan the Terrible running a dictatorship. He has all the charm of Attila the Hun on a bad day. Once he gets control of things there is no stopping the tyranny. I heard he runs a motorcycle forum and the whole group of folks are just as mean as he is.
^^^^
Example of sarcasm, for free.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey