Helmet speakers ..

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Helmet speakers ..

Post by CollingsBob »

I have a Cardo Freecom 1 with the in-helmet speakers..The sound is ok but the volume is insufficient when wearing earplugs. Cardo has recently added replacement 45mm JBL speakers - has anyone tried these? I’m also considering using a pair of Sennheiser earbuds in place of the speakers - has anyone used earbuds in place of the speakers?
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Re: Helmet speakers ..

Post by 0face »

Earbuds are the way to go... Custom molded is best.
jwilly and CollingsBob loved this
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Maybe you mounted the speakers on the outside of the helmet? Pro tip: I'd try them on the inside of the helmet.
Steel_Gin, 0face, jwilly and 2 others loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250 L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Recently. I upgraded to a newer Sena and Put the Sena 20 on the daughters helmet. When reading the directions, it stated that the closer the speakers were to your ears, the louder it would be.

I added some of the foam discs to her helmet and it was much better according to Kenzie. I added the foam to mine and it was remarkably louder and more clear.

I have some ear buds from JWilly that are not custom. They are okay, but I don’t like the cords as much. Not in a bad way, but I just haven’t figured out the best was to manage them.
CollingsBob loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

^^^ What he said about the foam pads, but also make sure the speaker is lined up with your ear canal. Speaker placement adjustments of 1/4 to 1/2 inch make a big difference.

Oh, sorry, that would be 1/2 to 1 cm Canadian measure. 8-)
2GENAE, jwilly, and CollingsBob loved this
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I used shure 215k’s for a long time, and still love them. I normally use integrated comms though. Currently sena srl.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
Av8er
Squid
FJRModel: 2017ES

Post by Av8er »

At least 10 years ago, bought a pair of XB's to be able to talk to the wifey when she rides along. The speakers were garbage back then, maybe better now with newer technology, but bought a pair of skull candy headsets($29.95)each and soldered the replacements in. They were slightly thicker and was concerned they might be some pressure on the ears but Arai has deep enough ear cups that it is not an issue. Sound is 100% better than the XB stocks. The ohms are slightly more and battery only last about 6 hours while playing music compared to about 8 with the stock. Has worked great for a long time but am also interested in looking into a later system that has a more quality speaker unmodified. Got to believe that in ten years someone has created a better quality system.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

FJRPittsburgh wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:47 pm Maybe you mounted the speakers on the outside of the helmet? Pro tip: I'd try them on the inside of the helmet.
Ya!

jwilly, FJRPittsburgh, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

I use earbuds. Took the speakers out. They are plenty loud that way for the hearing challenged. The Cardo Slim has a 3.5 mm jack, so you can plug speakers or earbuds in.
CollingsBob loved this
Intech
I'm Not Back
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015

Post by Intech »

I used speakers first with a Shoei Quest with the foam pads and they were just OK. Changed the base (SMH-12) to the one that takes ear buds. That is the best way for volume and fidelity. I now am using the integrated 20S in a Shoei Neotech II. Quietest helmet I have used and the speakers are sufficient. Unfortunately, Sena doesn't offer a model that will take earbuds for this one.

Not related to speakers, but I discovered two disadvantages on my last ride:
1. You cannot connect a power cord to the Shoei integrated 20S and use the unit. It will only charge with the power off.
2. You cannot change out to a backup module like you can with the SMH-12.
Cav47 loved this
RIP BeemerDonS JSNS
RIP Petey
RIP jwilly
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

I've tried a variety of earbuds... most have been a pita as they become dislodged when donninf/doffing my helmet.
Up until very recently that is.
I just stumbled across a set of buds that are very small and don't protrude much... they also sound great.
Best of all..... They cost $22.
I gave up on speakers as they still had to compete with road/wind noise.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hack wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:06 pm I've tried a variety of earbuds... most have been a pita as they become dislodged when donninf/doffing my helmet.
I just stumbled across a set of buds that are very small and don't protrude much... they also sound great.
What dB reduction are they rated?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

I bought a pair of these Panasonic earbuds. They go into the ear far enough not to feel any pressure on them from the helmet. The sound quality for the money is quite good with excellent bass.

However, I still use the "in helmet" speakers with my Sena 20s and I can hear well with my molded earplugs in.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Headph ... B003EM8008
CollingsBob loved this
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250 L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:27 pm
Hack wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:06 pm I've tried a variety of earbuds... most have been a pita as they become dislodged when donninf/doffing my helmet.
What dB reduction are they rated?

I don't know... These are them>>> https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071WR ... UTF8&psc=1
Snowflake
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2014ES

Post by Snowflake »

CollingsBob wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:27 pm I have a Cardo Freecom 1 with the in-helmet speakers..The sound is ok but the volume is insufficient when wearing earplugs. Cardo has recently added replacement 45mm JBL speakers - has anyone tried these? I’m also considering using a pair of Sennheiser earbuds in place of the speakers - has anyone used earbuds in place of the speakers?
I've very happy with my S-Plug in ear speakers. I bought a mount kit for my Sena unit that accepts the 3.5mm audio plug so I can use in helmet speakers or the ear buds. But since I've started using the S-Plugs, I haven't gone back to speakers. S-plug sound quality is much better.

I also use the S-plugs while mowing the lawn and on long airplane rides.
silverback
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by silverback »

Not speakers, but Sure SE-215 with triple flange adapters is a definite contender. The triple flange adapters isolate noise like a set of triple flange ear plugs. In other words, very good. With them, my volume is usually in the 10-20% range on the Sena or just plugged into the phone (when the Sena battery dies). They isolate outside noise well enough that the conductive noise from the helmet going through the wind is the loudest noise. The Sure earphones are really great quality. They sound amazing and they are contoured to fit in the cup of your ear. Very comfortable, even on long rides. They have replaceable cord, so you don't have to buy a whole new set of the plug quits working or something damages the chord.

So, ear plugs and speakers in the same device. Multitasking. Gotta love it.

As for speakers, I am not convinced anything out there would compete with the wind noise vibrating the helmet around. Not anything that wouldn't drain a deep cycle boat battery in 20 minutes.

Someone has put a driver on top of a helmet, using the helmet itself as the speaker. Kind of like the old bass shakers kids put under car seats in the 90s. Will be interesting to see if that takes off. Also would be I retesting to see if they come up with a bone conducting helmet that doesn't have speakers, just transmits sound into your skull.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CollingsBob loved this
There's just too much what the f@$k in this thread to know where to begin...
--BikerGeek
Madmudder
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300es Metallic Black
2000 Honda VFR800 Blue

Post by Madmudder »

https://www.torkworld.com/torkworld/hel ... akers.html
Elements replaced stock & they sound great
CollingsBob loved this
2014 FJR1300es
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Madmudder wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:25 pm https://www.torkworld.com/torkworld/hel ... akers.html
Elements replaced stock & they sound great
How did you connect them? The Sena "wires" are slimmer than fiber and I can't figure out how to solder in new speakers.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

I'll second the Sure SE-215 are a good way to go. I have to tuck the cord inside of my jacket then pull the wire up just a touch out of the jacket collar, but the little extra effort is worth the much better sound quality over the Sena 20s speakers.

Many years ago I had the opportunity to put on flight helmet and was impressed how well it quited down the outside noise. To the point I thought earplugs wouldn't be needed the way it sealed around my ears and the sound quality was very good. It was like putting on a comfortable set of over the ear headphones. I understand there are laws in some states that say no or one speaker only, but what about a speakerless headphone type setup in the helmet to protect our hearing? I'm surprised helmet manufactures don't have something like this on the market or at least tried. There are a very few who have highly modified their helmet to do this but what they had to do to fit that into the shell, to me, didn't look safe because of the material they removed. I find it hard to believe a helmet couldn't be designed that is every bit as safe as we have now with all of that built in.
CollingsBob loved this
philharmonic
FJRModel: 07 FJR1300

Post by philharmonic »

For those who complain about the lack of volume on your bluetooth speakers. If your playing music or audiobooks off your cellphone, there are volume booster apps. Just sayin
I have met the enemy, and it is me.