2016 Gen3 Check Engine Light

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
Mlazicki
Squid
FJRModel: 2016

2016 Gen3 Check Engine Light

Post by Mlazicki »

Replaced the battery today, start it up, check engine light is on. How do I clear this? Thanks.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: 2016 Gen3 Check Engine Light

Post by wheatonFJR »

Mlazicki wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:02 pm Replaced the battery today, start it up, check engine light is on. How do I clear this? Thanks.
Did it only come on after you changed the battery, or was it on before the battery change? How many miles on the bike? Any recent work done on the bike before changing the battery? What year is your FJR?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Mlazicki
Squid

Post by Mlazicki »

Yes it only came on AFTER battery change, it was not there prior to battery change. Battery replaced because I left the key on over night. 16K miles, no recent service done in 4K miles, getting ready to start 16K service. 2016 FJR. Maybe disconnect the battery for a few minutes? I don't have my service manual with me at the moment.
Mlazicki
Squid

Post by Mlazicki »

UPDATE: when looking at my oil change mileage due in the menu its currently at the current mileage, I believe thats driving the check engine light, what are the odds of this happening right when the I killed the battery? Apparently 100%. Next question is can you or how do you reset the oil mileage change interval? I have changed the oil 3 times since purchase, does this this thing know somehow when you change the oil and filter and automatically reset the oil change maint interval for another 4K in the maint menu? Will read the owners and service manuals when I get home tonight, hopefully theres some clarification there.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Where are you located? US? Europe?

I'm not aware of any oil change light...are you sure you aren't riding a Beemer? BigjohnSD to the courtesy phone...
Mlazicki
Squid

Post by Mlazicki »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:22 pm Where are you located? US? Europe?

I'm not aware of any oil change light...are you sure you aren't riding a Beemer? BigjohnSD to the courtesy phone...
Michigan...-3 soft suspension roads. Currently not believing the oil interval set in maintenance menu is causing this. I believe that just clocks up as you add miles, hoping it goes away with mileage and not stealership event.
Prestone

Post by Prestone »

Could just need a reflash of the ecu. There was a key cycle issue they fixed with an update. Can you still access your preload shock menu( ie 1 up - 2up- 2 up with bags)?
Mlazicki
Squid

Post by Mlazicki »

Prestone wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:00 pm Could just need a reflash of the ecu. There was a key cycle issue they fixed with an update. Can you still access your preload shock menu( ie 1 up - 2up- 2 up with bags)?
Yes I can access all menus, do you have a procedure for this?
Mlazicki
Squid

Post by Mlazicki »

Prestone wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:00 pm Could just need a reflash of the ecu. There was a key cycle issue they fixed with an update. Can you still access your preload shock menu( ie 1 up - 2up- 2 up with bags)?
I take that back I can access the preload shock menu but I can't change the preload, it appears stuck.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Check the Owner's Manual..... you should have had to set maintenance intervals in the menu... not aware it would kick on a CEL but Owner's Manual should tell you all that. I doubt the bike is smart enough to detect when you changed the oil last, and on prior Gen3's (yes Wheatie, we have that) the counter just keeps counting until you reset it. On '16 I also don't know if you get maintenance reminders for the intervals you set. I personally have the more comprehensive lo tech maintenance log (pencil and book on a clipboard), so never set any intervals in the menu.

Certain CEL's will self-correct if conditions don't exist... e.g., a CEL and TBS light will come on if you don't have a rear ABS sensor installed, but once you fix that, go for a ride and all is good. There will be stored codes in DiAGnostics, no harm done. There was a recall for an ignition switch/timing issue which generated a CEL and code P1601... give your dealer the VIN and he can check if the recall (reflash the ECU) was completed. Dealer will have to perform the procedure with his computer.

Unfortunately with your 16, you have OBD, thus lost the ability to access DiAG from the menu like in prior years. If the CEL won't reset you either have to visit your friendly dealer, or order yourself an OBD Adapter harness and get an OBD reader..... for sale on this forum in the Tech Library section. You can then view real time data and codes, and reset codes.
http://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopi ... =65&t=4070
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

To add, on another forum, gent had a CEL (not the recall issue) and could not access the preload menu..... in his case, he cleared his code with the OBD, and all was happy.
Prestone loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Mlazicki
Squid

Post by Mlazicki »

Thank you gentlemen for your insight into this issue I will most definitely get the OBD equipment, looks like it was just a matter of time until I would need it anyways.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Like Ray said, someone of the codes will clear themselves when you start riding. Have you ridden it yet? Just around the block?

I changed my tires a month ago and the next time I went to ride it, my check engine light was on. Never seen that before. Drove it around the block and it disappeared and I haven't seen it again. Not sure that's your issue but I thought I'd ask if you've driven it yet. If not, give it a quick spin.
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Mlazicki
Squid

Post by Mlazicki »

Festus wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 am Like Ray said, someone of the codes will clear themselves when you start riding. Have you ridden it yet? Just around the block?

I changed my tires a month ago and the next time I went to ride it, my check engine light was on. Never seen that before. Drove it around the block and it disappeared and I haven't seen it again. Not sure that's your issue but I thought I'd ask if you've driven it yet. If not, give it a quick spin.
I’ve rode it about 30 miles, check engine light still on and can not change preload suspension settings(ES), will review ECU codes and reset when I get the OBD cable. Hopefully a clear and reset will fix it.
Festus and wheatonFJR loved this
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

I believe restricted access to some of the e suspension features is normal when the cel is on. You might stop by your dealer to see if they can reset it for you, I did that 4 or 5 times in '16 before mama yama found the fix for the key switch issue. I also later went ahead and bought the adapter cable and OBDII scanner just to have on hand.
Prestone loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Just connected this with the order (for the OBD adapter)!

The order ships today via USPS - I'll send the tracker, but you should have it by Monday.

Unless you want to ride down and we plug it in here; I'm about 2 hours from Midland.

Wayne
Mlazicki wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:38 pm Thank you gentlemen for your insight into this issue I will most definitely get the OBD equipment, looks like it was just a matter of time until I would need it anyways.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
Mlazicki
Squid

Post by Mlazicki »

extrememarine wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 pm Just connected this with the order (for the OBD adapter)!

The order ships today via USPS - I'll send the tracker, but you should have it by Monday.

Unless you want to ride down and we plug it in here; I'm about 2 hours from Midland.

Wayne
Mlazicki wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:38 pm Thank you gentlemen for your insight into this issue I will most definitely get the OBD equipment, looks like it was just a matter of time until I would need it anyways.
Thanks Wayne, I'll just wait on the cable to get to me, we do live in Michigan, so another 6 months before the weather turns nice :D Thanks for the quick shipping!
Mlazicki
Squid

Post by Mlazicki »

2 Fault codes in ECU: P0606-ECU Internal Malfunction and P1600-No signal between ECU and IMU. Cleared and reset, all is fixed! CEL is gone and ES Preload selection is back and working. Thanks Wayne for that fast shipping on the OBD cable. I can sleep at night now.
raYzerman and wheatonFJR loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Mlazicki wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:46 pm 2 Fault codes in ECU: P0606-ECU Internal Malfunction and P1600-No signal between ECU and IMU. Cleared and reset, all is fixed! CEL is gone and ES Preload selection is back and working. Thanks Wayne for that fast shipping on the OBD cable. I can sleep at night now.
This board comes through yet again! Thanks Wayne!
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:42 pm
Mlazicki wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:46 pm 2 Fault codes in ECU: P0606-ECU Internal Malfunction and P1600-No signal between ECU and IMU. Cleared and reset, all is fixed! CEL is gone and ES Preload selection is back and working. Thanks Wayne for that fast shipping on the OBD cable. I can sleep at night now.
This board comes through yet again! Thanks Wayne!
I rode around with a piece of tape covering my CEL...until Yamaha came up with the fix.
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"