Tank Bag Redux

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Tank Bag Redux

Post by bill lumberg »

I have used a givi tanklock bag (3D603, which givi has replaced with the ST602) for distance rides quite a bit. It's a PITA in the garage or parking lot at full bar lock, but it's really nice when I'm on the road, to be able to get sunglasses, gum, espresso pods, etc., while riding or while stopped and astride the bike. As my stock gas tank assembly bolts hid under something as I was prepping my last bike to trade in, the givi tanklock ring stayed on that bike. I intended to stop using a tank bag at all. Then I did another SS1K, and I missed the bag.

I am looking for a larger givi tanklock tank bag. If you have used one of their larger bags, how did you like it? I don't want anything that contacts the tank. This isn't a concern with their smaller offerings, but I am concerned it might be with their larger ones. Your experience is appreciated.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: Tank Bag Redux

Post by raYzerman »

ST602 is 4 litres. I have the XS308 (20 litres). It is a big bag, almost too big, has a removable belt that holds the side and rear pockets. It hits the bars lock to lock but is OK normally riding. The XS307 is 15 litres, perhaps the one I'd get if doing it again, but I suspect it will hit the bars also. When mounting these, put them rearward as much as the mount allows. I got the 20 litre one because of the side pockets and the larger map window. I used to have a Bagster GS, it was large also but tapered such that it didn't hit the bars, but no side pockets. I like the Givi tank mount as it is much more convenient than the Bagster mechanism.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I use the XS307. I've got it pushed back to the last hole to allow my GPS (on a ram bone) to be positioned such that I can see the full bike instrumentation, including the idiot lights. On full left, the bag deploys the horn, which is always interesting on the Street.

Also, that strap crap got cut away from the bag the day I bought it. The buckle serves no useful purpose for me.

I can't understand why Givi's map window on the bag itself is not large enough to display a traditional sized map with two fold widths by one fold depth. I'm not referencing the map pocket thingie they provide with the bag that, when installed, makes it a PITA to get to anything in the bag. That also is useless and was discarded to the closet on the first day. This was a HUGE design oversight by Givi, IMO. Maybe standard maps in England are a difference size? I suppose I'm archaic, but I use an actual paper map when I'm touring. I love the 30,000 foot view. With the reduced window size, I have to fold the maps in a unconventional way, and inevitably, it causes them to tear over time. Kind of pisses me off.

Most significantly, I've had the bag replaced under warranty twice (TWICE) for the same reason - the zipper on the top of the bag that allows access to the main compartment jumped the track. This zipper is "u-shaped" and has two pulls - one from either side. In both cases, the zipper pull on one side jumped the track at the corner. What I learned is that the bag gets slightly distorted when one zipper pull is left completely open (to the front of the bag), and the other pull is run all the way around the "U". The highest distortion occurs at the corner and that's where it jumps the track. To Givi's credit, they replaced the bag promptly, including a shipping label to return the defective one, at no charge to me. What I do now is make sure I pull BOTH zipper pulls toward their respective corner, thereby reducing the bag's tendency to become distorted.

15 liter is the perfect size for me.

Would I buy the XS again? I'd rather not, considering the problems described above, but I don't see much else on the market that is that much better.

Hope this info helps.
bill lumberg and wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

You specify Givi, but would you consider something like a Bags Connection Evo City bag which is expandable? It doesn't have a map window which may be a deal breaker, but it does have ports which can be opened to run wires to either electrify the bag or run comm/entertainment gear. There is a pouch under the lid for maps which holds 4-5 standard size maps. The picture below is 'representative' and may not exactly match every detail of the bag I have.

[edit]SW-Moto blocked the link to my original picture, this is picture II[/edit]

I road tested it down to EOM '18 and liked it better than the Givi that I toured around California. With the rain cover it was waterproof in hurricane Florence on the way down to EOM and 3 solid days of heavy rain on the return trip. It didn't really interfere with my OEM bars even when expanded, though it *just* touched. No unexpected horn toots or button pushes at steering lock. Even though it didn't look like it would hold much, it did in fact hold everything I wanted to put into it and some of Pillion's overflow too.

The bottom-rear of the bag is semi-solid and is off the tank, but my Yamaha tank pad would be under it if it did droop. I put a small square of clear 3M paint protector film at the front where the cable release lives. The front does have a snap tab to hold the cable out of harms way. It was easy on/off at gas fills. If we are going on more than a day ride I'll be using the bag for sure. I never knew I wanted a tank bag until I tired this one. The Givi I used (on a BMW K1300) was a PITA.
Last edited by ionbeam on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0face and wheatonFJR loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I/B - that bag looks to be shaped much better for the FJR's ergos. Givi makes a tank bag with the tank lock system for the Africa Twin that is shaped like that, with the back of the bag swooping downward, and the bag remaining relatively skinny (left to right).

How's the zipper for the main compartment work?

I've got to have a map window, but I'm curious.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

The top zipper is a standard two zipper affair. As shown, both zippers have to be undone for the cover to open, if you choose they can both be zipped to one side at the front of the bag, letting you use just one zipper do the job. When the top is unzipped it flops forward (toward the instrument panel) completely 100% open. The second zipper track just under the zipper pair is for the bag expansion. Unzip the lower zipper track and the bag expands upward to the full 15 liters. There is enough space above the bag top that the instruments are still visible with the bag expanded.

The curvature of the bag bottom is like it was made for the FJR tank. When I first looked into inside the bag I didn't think the end closest to the rider would hold much, but it turns out to be quite deceptive. I found that the rain cover will neatly fit down in the narrow back area.

The rain cover and its bag is made to fit in the back pouch (rider end) or you can toss it in the bag keeping the handy back pouch free. The two side pouches don't hold much, but they could keep a cell phone handy, or glasses & face shield cleaning stuff.

The only weirdness is that the bag comes with a template and drill bit that you need to use to attach the bag to the bag's ring clamp; the tank mounting ring is normal. You open a pouch in the bottom of the bag for the template. This lets you put the locking ring on the tank and move the bag back and forth to get the best possible fit for the bag profile over the tank. The instructions on how to do this had 356 languages and required a magnifying glass to read the tiny English-Chinglish instruction strip. The mounting plate can be drilled with a battery powered or hand held drill but my drill press made it easy-peasy.

Fellow NERDS and friend Fred W has the same bag and he has electrofried his bag by leading a two pin pigtail into the bag. His bag carries more electrical gizmos than NewEgg sells. I believe Fred used something like this mounted to the front of his bag:

[ignore the warning, you can find a feed-thru like this at RV and camping supply stores as well as solar supply stores]

If someone is interested I'm pretty sure I could post a picture or two.
Last edited by ionbeam on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Great thread. Been looking at getting a tank bag as well. Part of the reason for holding off is the issue Pants has; found a couple that caught my eye but the map window didn't look big enough to view more than 100 miles of straight road.
Hppants loved this
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

A map window wasn't important for me, I use a GPS for most riding, but I have a backup Automatic Paper Map Reader that normally resides on the back seat and provides paper map based guidance as necessary. If it gets annoying I just shut off the Scala comm and revert to the GPS ;)
BikerGeek, extrememarine, philharmonic and 2 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

I carry a little tiny globe in my tankbag, so I can see EVERYTHING.

Seriously though, I'm with you on tankbag window sizes...2:1 vertical to horizontal for standard map fold sizes would be great. In the meantime I buy replacement maps.
Hppants loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

I went with the SW Motech City Bag on the GSA, Bought the optional Map Pocket too. They make an electrification kit that connects through the Tank Ring Mount, I didn't buy that. Have only put 500 miles on with the bag but it holds all that I need.
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Thanks Alan - very helpful. The XS307 has that horizontal zipper to expand the bag vertically to the full 15 liters. It is located on the bottom of the bag, however.

Not to thread jack intentionally (although that has RARELY stopped me before), but I just cannot rely on the GPS for the "big picture". It's impossible for me to see the "100-200 mile" view on the 4" screen without losing virtually every road worth riding in the resolution. I can "zoom in and out" with the bike GPS, but that is much easier to do on the phone if we are trying to find a squiggly road now. No - for me, using the paper map seems to be much better because I not only see the road(s) I want to try, but I can see that these are taking me in the general direction I want to go. Also, when we stop with a group, the big paper map provides enough detail and size for everyone to see, and offer input. I guess you'd have to tour with Pants to understand - most of the time, I just wing it. But I know generally where I want to sleep tonight, so in my "winging it", I at least want to head in the general direction. Also, I want to give everyone plenty of opportunity to say where they want to go too.

For me, the GPS is better for turn by turn navigation (to a specific address), and for routes that have been pre-programmed before the ride (which I hardly every use, but that's another story).
bigjohnsd, bill lumberg, philharmonic and 2 others loved this

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

2/4/19

Well, you can add a THIRD time for the failed zipper on the XS307, as of yesterday. This time it lasted a few months longer. I've emailed Givi to see of they will honor it yet again.

EXTREMELY disappointed in this product.

I guess it's time to start looking for something different.

dcumpian
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300A

Post by dcumpian »

I have Givi and SW Motech bags. The SWM bags are a little better made, but it isn't as easy to find the perfect sized bag. Give just makes so many varied sizes.

Dan
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

I've had this for a couple of years now, and am real happy with it. It comes with a visor cover, which fits nicely inside. I have the magnetic version. Cortech 2.0 18L
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

At the risk of jacking up Mr. Lumberg's thread, I'd like to update my situation:

Knowing that my XS307 tank bag's warranty expired 7 months ago, but having experience the SAME ZIPPER failure for the 3rd time, I wrote to Givi and asked for some help. Long story short, they told me that they would not replace the bag again, but would offer me special pricing on any replacement Givi item I was interested in. They offered me a replacement XS307 (with a fresh 2-year warranty) for $100.00 shipped, which is a good price. But I started thinking - am I just throwing good money after bad? The zipper is going to fail again. I decided to hold for a bit.

I kicked the issue around to my local riding buddies. One with a Versys 1000 has the XS320 tank bag, designed for the Africa Twin. Same tanklock design, but he had to rotate the tank lock fitting on the bag to accommodate the orientation of his tank Givi fitting. Works beautifully on my bike. the bag is slimmer (won't activate the horn on full handlebar lock), but still 15 liters. The zipper on the XS320 is the standard MUCH larger tooth. It's not a water resistant zipper, but that is what the bag rain cover is for. Even the map window is wider than the XS307. The ONLY down side is that the rear of the bag touches the tank in one spot, but I can stick a piece of felt on the bag to address that.

So I called Givi back and asked for special pricing on the XS320. This bag sells for about $180.00 US. He sold it to me for $114.00, and then allowed me to apply the 20% coupon currently available, so about $91.xx shipped.

It was a good experience for a pretty crappy situation. I'm still pleased with Givi and will look to them for my bike luggage needs.
Cav47, CollingsBob, and LKLD loved this

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I never had a problem with the XS308 zippers... liking the XS320 better than the XS307, might be just what I'm looking for, although my 308 is just fine for the moment.... I would recommend a tank protector or 3m film on the tank. Felt or anything on the bag will wear on the clearcoat and dull it, BTDT. Also put a piece in front of the gas tank cap where the bag might touch down/rub. A leftover TechSpec snakeskin tank pad do the trick.
Hppants and bill lumberg loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Would I have to put 3M film on the entire tank, or just where the bag is rubbing?

I have a tank protector at the back of the tank (to protect) against my big belly rubbing it. Maybe another one higher up?
bill lumberg loved this

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Just where the bag rubs... Depends on what tank protector you have, does it go high enough?
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Badass. Excellent info.
Hppants wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:28 pm At the risk of jacking up Mr. Lumberg's thread, I'd like to update my situation:

Knowing that my XS307 tank bag's warranty expired 7 months ago, but having experience the SAME ZIPPER failure for the 3rd time, I wrote to Givi and asked for some help. Long story short, they told me that they would not replace the bag again, but would offer me special pricing on any replacement Givi item I was interested in. They offered me a replacement XS307 (with a fresh 2-year warranty) for $100.00 shipped, which is a good price. But I started thinking - am I just throwing good money after bad? The zipper is going to fail again. I decided to hold for a bit.

I kicked the issue around to my local riding buddies. One with a Versys 1000 has the XS320 tank bag, designed for the Africa Twin. Same tanklock design, but he had to rotate the tank lock fitting on the bag to accommodate the orientation of his tank Givi fitting. Works beautifully on my bike. the bag is slimmer (won't activate the horn on full handlebar lock), but still 15 liters. The zipper on the XS320 is the standard MUCH larger tooth. It's not a water resistant zipper, but that is what the bag rain cover is for. Even the map window is wider than the XS307. The ONLY down side is that the rear of the bag touches the tank in one spot, but I can stick a piece of felt on the bag to address that.

So I called Givi back and asked for special pricing on the XS320. This bag sells for about $180.00 US. He sold it to me for $114.00, and then allowed me to apply the 20% coupon currently available, so about $91.xx shipped.

It was a good experience for a pretty crappy situation. I'm still pleased with Givi and will look to them for my bike luggage needs.
Cav47 loved this
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES