Aftermarket Rear Shock

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Aftermarket Rear Shock

Post by Hppants »

My bike just crossed 50K and the rear shock is quickly turning into a pogo stick.

I'm weighing options, got questions, and would like your opinions. What are you running? Why did you pick that one?

1. Penske: What's the difference between inline double adjust, remote double adjust, and remote double adjust with banjo hose?

2. Ohlins: First, the website doesn't show a shock for a Gen 3 FJR - would a Gen 2 shock fit my bike? Also, besides price, what's the difference between the YA-053 and YA-707

3. I looked at the Traxxion Dynamics website - they offer the Penske shock, but don't seem to offer their own suspension components for my bike. Is that what you understand?

4. GP Suspension doesn't appear to have a rear shock for the FJR. Just a fork re-valve kit?

5. Wilbers: These people have several shock choices - anybody ever tried one of these?

6. Hyperpro: Found one of these on E-bay. Never heard of it. thoughts?

Also, considering just buying another stock shock and go with that, although that is my least desirable option now - I'd like a little more spring rate.

My head is spinning - admittedly, that didn't take much....

Your thoughts?
-
wheatonFJR loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Re: Aftermarket Rear Shock

Post by bungie4 »

Call Rick @ Cogent Dynamics (Ohlins) in Hendersonville Fletcher NC.

Say, "Rick, Help!, the jackwagons who ride FJR's sent me here"

Rick will help.

Pants will be happy, and somewhat less financially liquid.
Redfish, bigjohnsd, and wheatonFJR loved this
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Thanks Bungie...I think I will for my front forks. I just bought a new rear EOM '13 shock...as it seemed fine for my slow pokey riding style. I might call him up, drive up there and drop my shocks off.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

He did right by me a few year ago during the group buy. Asked me the right questions, and delivered a near perfectly setup front/rear sproingers out of the box.

You might ask him if he can set up another group buy (it is his slow season), and/or, a fix for the ES rear shock.

I think my rear is good for another year. My forks need some attention. I think I have to go visit Ray and bring him some alcoholic bevvies sometime in the spring.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Hyperpro is actually pretty decent stuff for the money. They have a dealer in New Jersey, EDPM or EPMD or something? Friend of mine ordered their Streetbox kit which includes a new rear shock and matching fork springs and it's $699.00 Works well.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
dcumpian
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2018 FJR1300A

Post by dcumpian »

I swapped my rear shock for a Penske. I didn't need the banjo, just the remote double adjust. The guy I spoke with at Penske said the banjo was for an older model than mine, but I don't remember all of the details. The stock rear shock failed on my bike @ 8000 miles and I did not feel like dealing with the dealer to get another shock that I didn't really care for anyway.

I have a local mechanic who has said he can upgrade my forks with gold valves whenever I'm ready. The better rear shock has made the deficencies in the front shocks more apparent, but it isn't bad enough that I feel the need to get it done just yet.

I love the Penske though.

Dan
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

I will say this about an upgraded suspension. It makes the FJR a way better bike. Not that it’s not a great bike, but there’s a reason so many of us do it.
Redfish, bungie4, and raYzerman loved this
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

First off the Gen3A forks have only damping on the right side, and it appears nobody has a valving kit (yet). However, one would benefit from a nice set of straight rate springs instead of the progressive ones. Do that first, ride, and you most likely will not feel the need to change the valving. It is pretty decent anyway.
Most rear shock people tailor a spring rate for your weight, and you have options of remote hydraulically adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping. If you don't spend the ~$200+ on the remote, you have a manual ring to adjust preload, which may require you to remove the shock to do. If you do any two-up at all, get the remote, very convenient.
You already know the limitations of the OEM. Current spring rate (calculated) on a Gen3A shock is 651, ES is 685. Could stand a little more.
Hyperpro's stuff is progressive springs. They wouldn't give me the spring rates when I asked..... OK, bye. Lots of other options out there.
I agree talk to Cogent about a rear shock. And the Traxxion fork spring kit comes plug and play, which I will be doing at some point in the near future. Again, I'd do the springs first, ride and maybe keep valving money in your pocket (regardless of Gen). What I think most are impressed by are those new springs they got, 'cuz the old ones (Gen1/2) were just plain inadequate. Your new fork oil should be 7-8W (or a mix of 5 and 10), or you can go 10W. I wouldn't go heavier than that.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Very helpful input - thanks and please keep it coming!

I do very little 2-up riding, but do it on rare occasion. What I do a lot of is touring and camping. When I'm loaded for that, it's 100 pounds more than when I just ride solo with no luggage. So pre-load adjustability is very important. Therefore, remote reservoir it is.

Can anyone conform whether an aftermarket shock for a Gen1 or Gen 2 will work on a Gen 3? Starting to search fleabay just for giggles.

Bungie - for Cogent Dynamics, do you send your OEM shock to them and they modify that, or do they provide you with a complete new part? I'm thinking of when I go to sell/trade.

Marty - the race tech shock that has "hydraulic preload" - is that the remote reservoir referenced above?

I dunno if I'm ready to spend $1,200.00 on this. Gotta pay to play..... I know...

Well - more research first. That's for sure. I gotta pull out the FSM and see if I can change this thing myself.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

0face wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:09 pm I will say this about an upgraded suspension. It makes the FJR a way better bike. Not that it’s not a great bike, but there’s a reason so many of us do it.
Oface is right. However, what he fails to neglect, and is evident in my case, the bike is soooo much better, but the rider still sucks. I will tell you though, when you pull off that worn out shock and put on a good one, you realize how bad the old one was. Also, when you go to pop it up onto the centerstand and it's much easier because the bike wasn't all saggy, you'll get a little grin on your face.
Cav47 loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

Pants, Cogent had a group but a few years ago. I had my forks rebuilt, new springs and valves. Rear shock was upgraded to a Ohlins matched to the front for my weight and riding style.

It was spendy. But it was absolutely the number 2 best mod for the money i ever did. ... Number one was the Russell day long.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Rear shocks fit all Gens. RaceTech G3 has remote preload, compression, rebound and hi speed compression. $1200 is the ballbpark, you may get a Penske for a bit less. Call Cogent. I'm sure they could put a spring on your old shock, but waste of time IMHO.
Try this Ohlins if it's not already gone.... not sure what it has.....
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.ph ... try1231417
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Panman has an Ohlins for sale in the other sandbox. Gazza was also looking for one so the ad is bumped near the top.

I have Penske 8983s on the FJR and Tenere, great shocks. The FJR includes the full meal deal with GP valving in the forks. It's a bit sporty empty, but loaded up and traveling it's the bees' knees! Regarding the remote preload option. Although Penske has a manual collar, it's not a big deal to adjust in place on the bike. Takes a few minutes and odds are once you have it set to your liking you'll rarely touch it.

Benefits of the Penske over other brands:
- Ride height adjustment allows tailoring the bike handling to your liking. I've set my FJR & Tenere ~3mm longer than stock and love the quicker turn-in and rear end height.
- For serious traveling and two-up duty I have a second, larger spring. The spring can be swapped with the shock in place on the FJR, in less than 30 minutes. So with full bags, trunk and pillion, I've got a properly sprung no compromises machine.
- Best of all...With a few tools/equipment, Penske's are simple to rebuild so the maintenance cost is minimal and you know it's done right.

Regardless of which aftermarket shock chosen, it'll be an improvement over stock.

Just my $.02

~G
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

escapefjrtist wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:27 pm The spring can be swapped with the shock in place on the FJR, in less than 30 minutes.
Interesting, I did not know this.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Couple of things that you prob already know because we have talked about. My aging OEM Gen 1 shock was rideable but only by me. The degradation was slow and did not present itself abruptly, so I just adapted to it.

Whenever you put the replacement; then you will realize how bad it really was. The swap is so very simple. I must have taken mine off and on 3 or 4 times(remember the broken Clevis fiasco?) Anyway, it is a really simple process. I swapped the Penske that I got from Fairlainer in less than an hour the first time and have no doubt it was a 20 min job when I put the OEM back on to sell the bike off. I sold/traded the Penske for a good amount. So there is residual value in a Penske, but. It likely in another OEM if that matters to you.

With the way you ride including camping gear, get something that allows versatility. Loaded up for camping ripping theough the hills of California is not the same as carving up local roads near Blue Ridge with nothing but a mostly empty top box.

I had a Penske shock with some adjustments but never really needed much because it was so much better and I really ain’t that fast.

Good luck and happy hunting!
gixxerjasen loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Anybody ever used or heard of this shock:

https://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/ ... no=M62087H

Their USA website doesn't show this listing, but I could call them and inquire. 2-year guarantee - how does that compare to the "premium" brands? Fully adjustable (incl. hydraulic pre-load), can be sprung for the rider, and rebuildable. $549.00 American. Not sure I've ever bought anything from England - would have to look into that.

BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

I have some friends who primarily ride and enjoy vintage bikes and Hagon is a very big name in that niche of the motorcycle arena.
bungie4 and John d loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Yes, that's a reputable brand.
My Blog

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Don't see much wrong with the Hagon. Many of these shocks use standard size shafts (5/8") and seals. Valving will be unique to maker, but if you're a racer or aggressive canyon carver, you will care more about that. Street rider not so much.