FJR Engine Forensic Analysis

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Re: FJR Engine Forensic Analysis

Post by bungie4 »

Hey, you had one of those new lightweight valves and some of the others were optimized for traveling though black holes! Betcha you had enough of the clacking huh :D
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Full House
FJRModel: 2010

Post by Full House »

Ray I am trusting that you have had that "laser" measuring device calibrated lately?? lol By the way, I did not think that there was much carbon build up, I am comparing to automotive heads and valves that I used to redo. Remember the old V8 Chevys? That was carbon build up!
Bust loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Who here remembers that famous "Quaker State Cake" that found its way into the intake of every single GM V8?
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Mr Carver, what did you use to clean up yer piston tops..... or the head, if you did it (I think you got an engine instead). Full House, yes car engines tended to have lots of ring ridge and carbon.. did you ever clean them and with what.... scraper and mechanical wire wheel, or ?? Oh no, I don't calibrate those devices, I just get new ones..... bought two the other day as a matter of fact, LOL, Stanley 25' and 16'. They were on sale for C$3.99, that's about a buck Merican, LOL
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

bungie4 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:17 pm
raYzerman wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:50 pm Collective Soul one of my favourite bands!! It was a good day. NC80 south of BRP is real tight, hairpinny and downhill. Funner coming back uphill. Almost too technical if there is such a thing. On 215 at least you can get up some speed. All in striking distance of EOM MV.
FItter has video of part of 80... remember all the Ferrari's, then the one that bounced off the guardrail... sec.. I have to go find it.. Dead Ferrari in the video.. I still can't get over how far he kept going after making contact with the armco.
I was going to mention the Ferraris, that guy went 300 feet without a left front wheel, then just after the dirt & armco, around the next hairpin (blind) there was a long lineup of Ferraris and one dork had pulled out into our lane, road was real narrow, no room between him and the armco.... Fitter edited it out, my brakes were on the verge of ABS kicking in. But, I'll never forget that ride, it was a great day!
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:25 pm
bungie4 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:17 pm
raYzerman wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:50 pm Collective Soul one of my favourite bands!! It was a good day. NC80 south of BRP is real tight, hairpinny and downhill. Funner coming back uphill. Almost too technical if there is such a thing. On 215 at least you can get up some speed. All in striking distance of EOM MV.
FItter has video of part of 80... remember all the Ferrari's, then the one that bounced off the guardrail... sec.. I have to go find it.. Dead Ferrari in the video.. I still can't get over how far he kept going after making contact with the armco.
I was going to mention the Ferraris, that guy went 300 feet without a left front wheel, then just after the dirt & armco, around the next hairpin (blind) there was a long lineup of Ferraris and one dork had pulled out into our lane, road was real narrow, no room between him and the armco.... Fitter edited it out, my brakes were on the verge of ABS kicking in. But, I'll never forget that ride, it was a great day!
Who all was in your group that day? Were Rob and Moosehead with you? Johnd?
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

Was not either of those two, and I honestly can't remember who else. I also didn't recall being the leader, I thought bungie was...
Full House
FJRModel: 2010

Post by Full House »

raYzerman wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:18 pm Mr Carver, what did you use to clean up yer piston tops..... or the head, if you did it (I think you got an engine instead). Full House, yes car engines tended to have lots of ring ridge and carbon.. did you ever clean them and with what.... scraper and mechanical wire wheel, or ?? Oh no, I don't calibrate those devices, I just get new ones..... bought two the other day as a matter of fact, LOL, Stanley 25' and 16'. They were on sale for C$3.99, that's about a buck Merican, LOL
Ref: after disassembly, valves went into tumbler with metal balls in cleaning solution, cylinder heads went into heated spray cabinet along with all small parts. Beadblasting finished up cleaning and gave that frosted look customers liked.
raYzerman and wheatonFJR loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:04 am Was not either of those two, and I honestly can't remember who else. I also didn't recall being the leader, I thought bungie was...
Huron52 was there, the others I don't recall.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
philharmonic
FJRModel: 07 FJR1300

Post by philharmonic »

I was coming down NC80 with a Combi Camp trailer behind me playing Joe Racer when my brakes overheated and disappeared . It doesn't get any dumber that.

Replace your brake fluid, often. LOL
raYzerman loved this
I have met the enemy, and it is me.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Sorry I effed up your thread, I'm still interested in your conclusions and seeing the bike get put back together.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

Full House wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:03 am Ref: after disassembly, valves went into tumbler with metal balls in cleaning solution,
This is the sort of thing I was thinking... I use a tumbler and a stainless steel media, ten's of thousands of tiny stainless steel pins that slosh around suspended in a solution of simple tap water and dish soap.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:30 am Sorry I effed up your thread, I'm still interested in your conclusions and seeing the bike get put back together.
Come now, you're no threadshitter and everybody knows it. All good, this is just the forensic what went wrong thread... we'll get on with the rebuild in the other thread.

Hmmm, thanks guys, I don't have a tumbler or media blaster... automotive suppliers had all kinds of them and vapour honing things, injection molders blast their dies with starch, dry ice, etc... I think a dry ice blaster would work on carbon quite well.
Bust and wheatonFJR loved this
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:06 pm Hmmm, thanks guys, I don't have a tumbler

You're more than welcome to try mine...
I'd run the valves one at a time though so they don't knock around against each other. I imagine they're quite hard so...
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

Walnut shell in a tumbler and a good rinse after?
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Lacquer thinner and a soft wire brush will cut the carbon. I personally wouldn’t tumble them.
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

How about carburetor cleaner and a soft brush? Never tried it on pistons but it worked great on my M16 chamber and bolt many years ago. (It's hell on blueing though so didn't dare leave it on too long)
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

I'm not thinking of tumbling them, but an appropriate solvent and brush or light scraping with a wood/plastic scraper (pistons), then ideally a walnut shell blast. Will try some lab grade Xylene and Toluene (component of lacquer thinner) and possibly I have some lacquer thinner. Mostly the soak I'm doing now is using mild solvents and from what I read on the interweb, will be ineffective but I will let them stew for a few days more. Physical cleaning is the best of course. Digging into MSDS sheets has been interesting.
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

Lacquer thinner is what my hotrod buds say works, along with some brushing. Why wouldn't Ringfree work? It's highly concentrated but supposed to work with higher temperatures.

One of my tasks at work is Keeper of MSDS documents for everything we buy and use. They are out to get us ;) If city water came with a MSDS I suspect nobody would drink it.
John d
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008A

Post by John d »

If you don't know which piston goes in which hole and the original orientations, your SOL in my opinion. Hopefully all the parts got marked somehow. Otherwise, you would need minimum new rings, and a way to hone the ceramic coated bores.