Project Bike - 2006 FJR bike in a basket

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Re: Project Bike - 2006 FJR bike in a basket

Post by bungie4 »

WRT: Factory Trained mechanics

It's my experienced opinion that this designation carries no weight at all. In fact, it's probably a play on words. It doesn't say Factory Certified, meaning the individual actually passed the course, it means they attended and failed.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Looking good Ray. Doesn't make sense that a dealer of all places would do that to a bike.
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
Madmudder
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300es Metallic Black
2000 Honda VFR800 Blue

Post by Madmudder »

The shop in question has since closed up I believe. They may have been trying to keep the doors open a few more months with this job alone.
2014 FJR1300es
blind squirrel
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014

Post by blind squirrel »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:45 am So if I go get a new gasket set, shouldn't take more than a coupla nights work and we can get this back together..... anybody wanna help?
Bring it to one of the tech days... :lol:
"That feeling is your taint telling you, 'this is a bad idea...'" - extrememarine
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

blind squirrel wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:24 pm
raYzerman wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:45 am So if I go get a new gasket set, shouldn't take more than a coupla nights work and we can get this back together..... anybody wanna help?
He might as well. He always attends tech dayz with his truck anyhow.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

Wish I lived closer, it would be fun getting my hands dirty putting it back together. In the long run you are much better off because you would say this a lot, "Dean WFT are you doing?? That doesn't go there!!" :lol:

Good luck with the project!!
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: '15ES in Low-Viz Assfault Gray

Post by ionbeam »

bungie4 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:53 am WRT: Factory Trained mechanics

It's my experienced opinion that this designation carries no weight at all...It doesn't say Factory Certified, meaning the individual actually passed the course, it means they attended and failed.
When my CCT murdered my engine I looked into the Yamaha mechanics qualifications. Different dealers have mechanics of various certifications. It at least means the mechanics were exposed to some level of training. Working in a technical field, I can tell ya that not everyone in a technical class receives the education they are being exposed to ;) Not worrying about being an a$$hole, I would asked the service manager if I could talk with the mechanic that would be (potentially) working on my bike. Some flatly refused. Some looked at me like I'm strange :zombwobb: backed up a few steps away from me, but then did let me talk to the techs. That right there was significantly educational. I talked with some possibly talented mechanics, but gosh darn, what jerks! I couldn't imagine dealing with them, especially if something didn't go well. There seems to be a sweet spot, the Goldilocks zone. Just out of school with an up to date education and zero experience, ya, well, no. The senior mechanic, years of experience, years of developing bad habits, and totally out of date for a computer controlled, fuel injected motorcycle, ya, well, no. Just no. Someplace in between where the mechanic is *interested in his job* and not just putting in 8 hours, knows amps from ohms, ft/lbs from in/lbs, and is probably smart enough to not be a mechanic all his life is the guy you want.

Yamaha has several levels of Service Certifications:

Factory Trained

This dealership has a technician on staff who has not only attended training at a Yamaha training center, but has also completed and passed the examinations offered during the training. This dealership has also participated in other annual training opportunities offered by Yamaha.

Five Star Certified

This dealership has actively engaged in all training opportunities Yamaha offers, including technical training at a Yamaha training center, business management training and service management training. It also means their technicians have attended and completed many of our technical training courses.

Five Star Gold Certified

This dealership is an exclusive dealer of Yamaha products, and meets all sales, marketing, service and training requirements established by Yamaha. This dealership:

Has systems and processes in place to offer priority service for all Yamaha warranty customers
Prominently displays and stocks the full line of Yamaha oil, lubes and maintenance products
Meets the requirements for 5-Star Gold Certification at each location, if they offer multiple locations

Master Technician

This dealership has a Master Technician on its team. Master Technician is the absolute highest certification a Yamaha technician can attain, and an elite few achieve this designation.

The Yamaha Master Technician program is one of the industry’s most advanced training programs. Offered exclusively at Yamaha training centers, it consists of 6 week long courses that include classroom and hands-on training and advanced troubleshooting. In order to earn the designation of Master Technician, one must not only complete the training program, but also pass a final certification test.

If you need a dealer to do some serious work or take on a technical job and if you are lucky enough to have several Yamaha dealers in your area, talk to the service manager and the technician that would be working on your bike. I had a highly certified Yamaha dealer 6 miles from my house; I went to a dealer 35 miles away after talking with the near by dealer's service guys.
deang wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:02 pm ...it would be fun getting my hands dirty putting it back together..."Dean WFT are you doing?? That doesn't go there!!"
Turning a gut-pile like that back into a running and working motorcycle that you never took apart is where you find all the little problems with the Factory Service Manual.

Buena suerte.
2GENAE loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

My last experience with a factory trained mechanic was holy unsatisfactory and bordered on negligent. Throw in being billed for 7 hours on a 4 hour flat rate. Had I gone to SEO last year, I likely would've spent the majority of my time in the parking lot fixing coolant leak. Luckily, I caught the plague and turned around came home (bike was the trailer) and only caught the issue after recovering. Throw in a hose clip tab pressed hard against the engine wiring harness and, some aux wiring re-routed THROUGH the linkage on the throttle body. I'll do my own work going forward.

This is the dealer I've bought 2 FJR's from, had my bikes occasionally serviced and even stored over the winter a couple of times. We had a good relationship. They flat out refused to address the issues and figuratively told me to pound sand. A written letter with photographs was sent to the dealer, and later, to Yamaha Canada expressing my displeasure.

I won't be doing any business or recommending that dealer in the future.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

blind squirrel wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:24 pm
Can't wait until spring.... besides that, if Oface shows up I'll have extra parts mixed in. So, get yer ass up here and help out, will ya!

Deang, I'll letcha in on a little secret. I never had the bottom end of an FJR engine apart before.... oh yeah, we'll figure it out.... hey wait, what about the Jolene tranny fixin' thread..... but there's another secret method I'll let you in on later. Bring some good adult beverages, all you'll need.

About the 'mechanic'.... the dealer was giving up his Yamaha dealership, he sold Zeros and high end European riding gear. Mechanic was working one day a week at this point, knew he was moving on.... he's out in western Canada now that has a city with an NHL team, and it gets real cold there in the winter... he's lucky I'll not likely be there any time soon to discuss anything.

The mechanic you want has the training but has been a multi-brand/car/truck/bike or tinkerer since he was a kid as he grew up on the farm. And owns an FJR that has some miles on it (that he serviced). Any of the bike dealers around here have mostly younger kids working on flat rate..... like Alan says, do your homework if you've got something serious, otherwise, learn to do it yourself or bring it to a tech day where Oface and Blind Squirrel can "help" you, with your better friends feeding you adult beverages.... well OK, even Oface and Blind Squirrel can be a good friend, jeez.
Steel_Gin, Bugnatr, Full House and 1 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRPittsburgh
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 A, 2008 AE has been sold.

Post by FJRPittsburgh »

Looks like a fun project Ray. If you wanna ship all those parts to me, I can assemble it all for you over the next 10 to 15 years.
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
2013 Honda CRF250 L
2018 Yamaha FZ-07
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:24 pm The mechanic you want has the training but has been a multi-brand/car/truck/bike or tinkerer since he was a kid as he grew up on the farm. And owns an FJR that has some miles on it (that he serviced). Any of the bike dealers around here have mostly younger kids working on flat rate..... like Alan says, do your homework if you've got something serious, otherwise, learn to do it yourself or bring it to a tech day where Oface and Blind Squirrel can "help" you, with your better friends feeding you adult beverages.... well OK, even Oface and Blind Squirrel can be a good friend, jeez.

Or, As one friend of mine does...
Trade in your bike every two years on a new one.
Of course, he's a bmw guy so maybe that "is" the best way to do it...
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

There is no way I could put that back together. Not in 2 days or 2 years. Take it apart? No problem - but put it back together, not a chance in the world.

This parts changer really admires you true mechanics.
CraigRegs loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

So, what do I have to do, post up a tech day where one or two of you manages the FSM, one looks up stuff in the parts catalogue on the tuter, one of you takes the videos, one narrates, one takes stills, and maybe more than one manages the adult beverage supply? How many dorks (I include myself) does it take to put an FJR back together? Supplemental question, how much longer does it take with all y'all around?
:stickpoke: :manlove: :nhlfight: :sherlock: :withstupid: :bustinlove: :bowdown:
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

I'd volunteer for the FSM, JSNS....
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:27 pm So, what do I have to do, post up a tech day where one or two of you manages the FSM, one looks up stuff in the parts catalogue on the tuter, one of you takes the videos, one narrates, one takes stills, and maybe more than one manages the adult beverage supply? How many dorks (I include myself) does it take to put an FJR back together? Supplemental question, how much longer does it take with all y'all around?
...and someone to be there to put the forkseals in right side up...
wnyfjr and Madmudder loved this
Full House
FJRModel: 2010

Post by Full House »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:27 pm So, what do I have to do, post up a tech day where one or two of you manages the FSM, one looks up stuff in the parts catalogue on the tuter, one of you takes the videos, one narrates, one takes stills, and maybe more than one manages the adult beverage supply? How many dorks (I include myself) does it take to put an FJR back together? Supplemental question, how much longer does it take with all y'all around?
Ray, I'm sure you could do this faster without help! There again, how much fun would that be!!
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

raYzerman wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:27 pm ...How many dorks (I include myself) does it take to put an FJR back together? Supplemental question, how much longer does it take with all y'all around?...
I have twice had my '04 engine taken apart to that extent. The first time it went back together it ran fine but shook like a Sherwin Williams paint shaker. With the bike running on the side stand you could feel the ground vibrate 6' away. The FSM only showed one set of alignment dots for each of the two engine balancers. My bike had two sets of dots. It was readily apparent the second time the engine was removed from the frame and disassembled. When the engine was flipped upside down to plastigauge the plane bearings on the crankshaft the balancers flipped 180° exposing the false alignment dots. Just one of a few little thingies the FSM didn't mention.

Having all those people on hand to help doesn't necessarily speed anything up except the beer and pizza runs, but they are invaluable to have around to blame if things go wrong :mrgreen:
wheatonFJR, Steel_Gin, and Madmudder loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

^^^^^
Yikes!
ionbeam
Contributor
Veteran

Post by ionbeam »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:11 pm ^^^^^
Yikes!
However, 90k miles later, with 120k miles on the odometer my '04's engine still ran like new with absolutely no issues or problems. If the new owner can keep it upright I'm sure it has at least another 100k miles of sweet running left.
Hppants and wheatonFJR loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

My dad has your talent. He can look at something and figure out how it works. He truly understands the mechanics of mechanical things.

Admirable, for sure.