Show me your USB

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 15ES

Show me your USB

Post by CraigRegs »

First the USB lead from the Zumo 590 crapped out. Not unexpected as the rubber cap refused to stay in place when the port wasn’t being used and it pointed skyward. Then my dual-port crapped out.

Attached to the brake master cylinder and facing me, it stayed fairly dry. But now, no voltage on either.

So what have you mounted and where to keep your doo-dads juiced?
Craig
----------------
...the Pursuit of Happiness
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Re: Show me your USB

Post by escapefjrtist »

Low tech for me Craig. Battery tender lead in front-right of tank with BT to USB adapter. Don't need phone charging that often...

~G
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

In the glove box. Small flush cigar lighter adapter (2 port), with cables running up to handlebar area/tank bag, slightly squish the cables with the glove box lid...... looking to upgrade to a 2 porter like you had on your master cylinder but I'll panel mount something on my homemade dash panel. My 590 USB is still working too. I charge camera and remote with them, sometimes phone.
Hppants loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Pat Mitch
Squid
FJRModel: 2006

Post by Pat Mitch »

Two USB ports with an on off switch. The USB port has a voltmeter built in. There was just enough room to mount it in the plate next to the battery. I bought them on amazon. The usb cable goes to my iPhone on the steering column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CraigRegs loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I run usb from the glovebox, and have another beneath the rear seat. If I used the one that I fish out from beneath the rear seat much, I’d leave it under the seat and run on connected to it out in the open, so I could replace the one that gets sun and rain damage, while the hardwired one stayed safe and dry.
EWTBAGUITTDGS

2022ES
philharmonic
FJRModel: 07 FJR1300

Post by philharmonic »

I keep mine in my small tank bag.
I have met the enemy, and it is me.
DesignFlaw06
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 FJR1300A

Post by DesignFlaw06 »

I've got a flush cigarette adapter in the glove box. I have a spare one under the seat if I get desperate. The phone gets charged inductively if I need to with a charger mounted on the stem nut. I have yet to see a USB socket mounted in a way that I like. Seems like this kind of thing would happen all the time. Hardwire where you can.
TimDog!
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

You want ghetto crap? I got ghetto crap for you.

Ok, so this exists partly out of my own personal cheapness and laziness but it started out as a need for a solution today for a trip tomorrow kind of thing. I went to the auto parts store and picked up a replacement cigarette lighter receptacle which I wired up to my fz1 fuzeblox (Not a cheap part) and then tossed in a two port usb car charger that I had laying around I got at Walmart. Ran the wire up under the tank and plastics and out around the fork area so I could plug in. Quick cheap solution as the car part was under $7.

So, it worked. It worked very well, and I never got around to doing anything better. I just leave the cords off to the side year round and while some would cringe, if the cord gets messed up from the weather (hasn't happened yet) then I'll just order a new $3 cord off Amazon. In fact, this solution worked so well that I added a second one so I could have a total of 4 ports for trips. I run the cables out from under the seat to my tank bag where I kept my camera, GoPro battery charger, and mp3 player all with power while on the go. On the second one, seen in the picture, I upgraded to a better car charger but it's all still pretty inexpensive overall and works well. Been running on this solution for a few years now. Yes it's ghetto. Yes it's ugly, but only when you pull the seat. No it's not fancy pants stuff. But it just plain works and is inexpensive.
Uncle Hud and wheatonFJR loved this
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

I've tried several, used Cigar Lighter option in the glove box on the FJR, the damn things failed left and right or wouldn't stay connected. Tried a panel mount on the KLR, better, but not water tight for certain. I eventually bought one of those auxillary Battery Units that can start your bike or power your phone etc and kept it in the tank bag, charging it at night. I have had frequent problems with the Micro USB plugs not wanting to remain in contact while inserted into/the device being charged. The whole Micro USB system sucks. I tried a Magnetic Micro USB Coupler I found on Amazon thinking it might be better - not so. I'm pondering what to do on the GSA.
wheatonFJR loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

USB-C is fantastic.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

I ran power to the interior of my tank bag using a kit similar to this:

https://tecmate.com/nieuwsbericht/power ... r-tankbag/

It's fed to from a jumper between a DIN connector connected to my battery.

Inside the tankbag its got a big splitter that runs to cigarette lighter/BMW style connector. I just plug in the USB into an adapter.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
Gramps
FJRModel: '13 Tiger Explorer

Post by Gramps »

bungie4 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 am I ran power to the interior of my tank bag using a kit similar to this:

https://tecmate.com/nieuwsbericht/power ... r-tankbag/

It's fed to from a jumper between a DIN connector connected to my battery.

Inside the tankbag its got a big splitter that runs to cigarette lighter/BMW style connector. I just plug in the USB into an adapter.
+1
Mine's also powered to my tank bag combined with a volt meter.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views." Doctor Who 1/22/1977

Marc
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

Reminds me, I've got to replace the cigarette lighter plug on my tire pump with a DIN plug. I always have the pump with me, but I don't always have the tank bag that has the adapter.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

I think you mean SAE not DIN.... the round ones are Coax, like the ones on your heated gear.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

raYzerman wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:03 pm I think you mean SAE not DIN.... the round ones are Coax, like the ones on your heated gear.
Ya. What the smart guy said.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I just KNEW that Jasen was going to win the Rube Goldberg award on this thread. He's my nomination, anyway. Dude's got just enough combination of creativity and technical ability. Well done, my friend.

I'm using a combination of Ray/Bill's method (cig plug in the glove box), and Big John's method (bought a brick and keep it in the tank bag. I'm especially proud of my brick because it has two outputs: one for 1.2 amp devices, and the other for 2.1 amp devices. I've determined that while some things (I-phone for example) will charge with either, some things (Nikon camera for example) MUST have a charger with the correct amperage output.

Quite frankly, I'm simply amazed that I actually figured that out. I do realize that for many of you, this is second nature.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Electricity is invisible and black magic.
danh600 loved this
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

I've been planning to replace the glove box cigarette lighter with a two-port USB, and run a dedicated iPhone "Lightning" cable up to my dashboard shelf. Been planning it for a year, and hope to get to it during December.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

Oh ya, the local crappy tire had small 120V 1000w inverters on for like $15. I don't know why, but I carry it around in my tank bag. Never know when you'll need to plug in a crock pot on the side of the road.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
RacinRay
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES 2011 Triumph Speed Triple

Post by RacinRay »

I have switched power running to my Givi top case and from there I have dual USB ports. I also have a flush mount dual USB in the glove box.
The dildo of consequences never arrives lubed.