Hot weather Gear

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
Night Fly 57
Squid
FJRModel: 2013 A

Hot weather Gear

Post by Night Fly 57 »

So once average temperature gets above 8p degrees I throw camel pack filled with crushed ice on. I wear riding jeans, boots and a mesh Joe rocket jacket. Any suggestions for rider Saftey and comfort on higher temps

:bowdown:
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Re: Hot weather Gear

Post by wheatonFJR »

Olympia AirGlide Mesh jacket and pants.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

steveoreno and HotRodZilla loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

El Toro Joe wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 am Image
Is that the eltorojoe equivalent of " do a search"?
Uncle Hud and El Toro Joe loved this
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

It looks like the OP is doing the right things, as long as the jeans are specific riding jeans. I wear Bull-It jeans for day rides, and Rev-It riding pants for longer rides. Lee Park roper style gloves are light, and though not perforated, are cooler than most gloves.

Drink often. Personally, I like the Vitamin One flavored water, with electrolytes.
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Years ago, I bought a cooling vest. Hate it. Might work in a dryer climate, but down here in the sauna, no dice.

I wear the Tourmaster Venture mesh pants, and the Tourmaster Cortech 3 series mesh jacket.

Honestly, what I have found works the very best is to soak the T-shirt. I wet everything except the last 3 inches by the waist, so when I tuck it in, it doesn't drip to the Netherlands. For the rest, I squeeze the excess only to the point where it won't drip excessively. It will last for a couple of hours. Some people say you smell like a wet ass after doing this, but I haven't really experienced that and let's face it, after a day riding down here in the summer, you are not going to smell like roses anyway.

BION - last year for the YFO trip, I chose the textile jacket (Again, Cortech GX-3 Sport). With the vents open, and the T-shirt soaked, I think it did a better job overall. It kept most of that dry 100 degree air off my skin. But after the temp climbs past 98-ish, it's going to be miserable hot. Period.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

+1 on soaking the t-shirt. I wear lightweight long-sleeve tees because I don't like 1200-denier nylon against my skin ( :shock: ) and staunchly believe you shouldn't wear mesh over bare skin.

If sweat hasn't thoroughly wetted your shirt, soak it every now and then and make sure you've got air circulating through your jacket.

Yamaha mesh jacket and some 4-year-old Alpinestar mesh pants WITH SUSPENDERS! I have not modified them to zip together yet, but I do have the sewing stuff out to "smartphone-ize" all my gloves, so maybe that will happen.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Bugnatr
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 SuperTanker1200. 2018 DCT Hippo,
2007 KLR650... the Goldwing of thumpers

Post by Bugnatr »

Get pants and jacket that zip together. IF a small Bambi runs out of the woods at full steam and knocks your FJR out from under you and you find yourself sliding down the road at 55mph you will be quite pleased that jacket didn't ride up to your arm pits.... at least I was.
El Toro Joe, Uncle Hud, Hppants and 2 others loved this
It's too deep, this is a bike not a canoe.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

When I lived in SC, the most important item in my kit was a camelbak. Staying hydrated is the first defense against heat exhaustion, etc.

Mesh pants help as well; I have the Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants; they have a panel that zips off and allows air flow in and around your legs / waist.
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

extrememarine wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:28 am When I lived in SC, the most important item in my kit was a camelbak. Staying hydrated is the first defense against heat exhaustion, etc.

Mesh pants help as well; I have the Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants; they have a panel that zips off and allows air flow in and around your legs / waist.
I find that I HAVE to have my camelback on...otherwise I will not stop soon enough...and will end up having muscle cramps, usually in the hip area first. I've had to stop rides in SEO in past years because of this and it is definitely hotter in SC. It's hard to ride the twisties when you are straightening your legs to fight off muscle cramp pain.

I understand that in high heat over 93 degrees that open mesh heats up your body faster, but most of my riding is below that threshold...or such a short ride that a GOOD ARMORED mesh and H20 serve me well.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Flip-flops, do-rag, and my silver speedo work great. Except and I can't seem to get Wheatie to stop following me on those especially warm days.
BruinFJRguy, BikerGeek, Redfish and 2 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

0face wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 pm Flip-flops, do-rag, and my silver speedo work great. Except and I can't seem to get Wheatie to stop following me on those especially warm days.
You are one sick mofo...but we knew that already.

I believe 0Face SWEARS by KLIM.
Tyler
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 CanAm Spyder ST

Post by Tyler »

Hydration is key although I've found water alone is not enough for me so I usually add some sort of drink with electrolytes into the mix (i.e. 3 bottles of water, 1 bottle of electrolyte drink).

Not sure where you're located but if in a drier climate, a cooling vest works amazingly well. I used a Techniche Hyperkewl vest and, for me, it's well worth the cost (around $40). I've also heard good things about LD Comfort cooling sleeves and many swear by wetting down the LD Comfort long sleeve shirt when riding in heated climates. I have the shirt but haven't tried out that method as of yet. ;)
"Spend time with those who make you better." ~Anonymous
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Ms. T - if you want to start a wet T-shirt contest among the FJRiders crew, sign me up. I ain't scared....

(You turkeys better vote for me. I've been working out, ya know....)
Boozer and Tyler loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."

NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

Hppants wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:48 pm Ms. T - if you want to start a wet T-shirt contest among the FJRiders crew, sign me up. I ain't scared....

(You turkeys better vote for me. I've been working out, ya know....)
Sure, why not? You already started the dropped drawers contest iirc.....
bigjohnsd, Uncle Hud, Boozer and 3 others loved this
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

LD Comfort stuff is great when soaked, use warm water so you don't get cold shock when putting it back on. It's a dual fabric so retains water better than cotton I think. AS good as A/C, but repeat an hour or so later, all good.
Olympia Airglide is good, has solid panel on arm surface so you don't get too much flow, which just dehydrates you faster.
El Toro Joe loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Uncle Hud
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES, with new fairings!

Post by Uncle Hud »

Didn't see this one yet.

Got a Shoei Neotec two years ago (so Kelly and I can ride with matching helmets, no shit) but held onto my Bell Vortex, because, hey, it wasn't broken. The old Bell ventilates a LOT better than the Neotec, so it became my summer hat.

Probably ventilates better because I spent a couple of hours picking out little bits of padding around the vent holes in the shell. Enough so that a hard rain seeps in through the vents, but I prefer my forehead wet with cooling rain instead of sweat. If is really raining hard, drops splash in through the chin vent, too. Tasty and solves my hydration issue.
*** You can't get into trouble in second gear. ***
IBA 62517
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by Hppants »

Didn't figure you for the "fashionable" type, Uncle. Does Kelly have a banana suit as well?

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Klim Latitude Jacket and pants. LDComfort long sleeve top and bottom.
Up to 90F I open up the vents and ride.
Above 90F I soak the LDComfort top, sleeves and chest, close all the jacket vents, loosen the neck, open the sleeve cuffs. Unadjusted cuffs to control the ram air flow up the sleeves. Sleeves and chest stay damp and maintain cooling for 2-3 hours. I actually have to close the sleeves down sometimes to control the cooling as i can get chilled if not careful. My experience with Mesh is that it greatly contributes to dehydration.
Last edited by bigjohnsd on Wed May 16, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
El Toro Joe loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!