Jolene, Jolene, Jolene...

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
fencer
Veteran
FJRModel: 2006 *SOLD now 2018

Re: Jolene, Jolene, Jolene...

Post by fencer »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 am ^^^ I'm with the dood that's got his pants on.

These FJRs are more than metal, plastic and rubber. You could take most of my stuff without me getting emotional about it...sure I'd want to have the cash to cover the loss...but don't you ever lay a hand on my FJR(s)

They take me to places I've always dreamed of going, they also help me meet some of the most interesting people asshats.

We also hear about people striving to do things we've never ever considered doing...like this thread, right here....and succeeding!

Kudos to Festus!
Hear that erry body? I an interesting people :mrgreen:
wheatonFJR loved this
Just here to show my ass --------->>>>>>>>
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Thanks Red. I use 3M vinyls daily and have a little carbon fiber left, but I want to take it back to original, plus there is a scratch on one mirror I need to fix. I also have a trunk for my other bike and bounced it off a concrete step while taking it out the door one day. I’d like to fix that as well.
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

I'd bet $100 Garauld, on the other forum, has the paint. No way we've had this color for 5 years and no one has needed some bag repair.
raYzerman, LKLD, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
LKLD
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by LKLD »

He's on this Forum too, just PM him.
wheatonFJR loved this
Being alive, is not living. R.I.P. Don,Petey, & Jason レイクランド
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

HotRodZilla wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:02 pm I'd bet $100 Garauld, on the other forum, has the paint. No way we've had this color for 5 years and no one has needed some bag repair.
He does. He said the paint color was wrong from Colorite as well, and he was able to skim some residual floating black out of it and get it a lot closer. I have too much stuff to paint to ship it all to him. 3 saddle bags (2 for Jolene, one with a rock chip from my bike), a mirror, and a trunk. I have all the paint equipment and can paint it, I just need to find the paint.

I've told this story before, maybe in this thread, I can't remember. In the color matching world, they put the reader on the paint and it gives them a value. That value is an indication on how close the paint would match. A number from 0-3 means it's almost perfect and the human eye won't be able to tell the difference. A value from 3-6 indicates that some people with certain qualities in their eyes would be able to see the difference, but it's very slight. Anything over 6 would be visible to the eye. The took a reading on the trunk I took them and it was 11. 11 means it's not even close. After that experience, I ordered the colorite spray cans. Not even remotely close. Plus there's an asterisk on their website for that color that says it might not match. Rob gave me another set of colorite spray cans and they are much, much closer.

It's a problem I've been chasing on and off for over a year. I think it's time to resolve it once and for all. Once I have it dialed in, then I can offer up that source for anyone else that wants to buy their own paint for the '13.

The paint on the '13 was sprayed with robots. It's the thinnest paint I have ever seen, plus it's metallic. I, personally, don't know any way to spray the paint that thin. It's like 1 perfect, thin coat. The problem comes in when you can't do that by hand, so you need a thicker coat, or multiple coats. That color turns darker when you make it thicker or put multiple coats on it. I suspect colorite's color is right, but no one has a robot to paint it in 1, perfect, super thin coat.

I'll figure it out. Something I needed to do anyway, plus I like painting :)
wheatonFJR loved this

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Why not go to a local body shop and have the color guru painter guy mix you up a batch, even let him paint them. I'd also recommend a good clearcoat.
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

When Garauld painted my '05 saddlebags, I drilled out the cover rivets and just shipped the covers. If your top is a Givi, you can definitely do the same. If you top is a Yamaha, I'm not sure.

The point is the shipping wouldn't be that much, comparatively speaking.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 am Why not go to a local body shop and have the color guru painter guy mix you up a batch, even let him paint them. I'd also recommend a good clearcoat.
That's where it's heading Ray. What my hopes were, was to find a company that could match it and save the color, then I could help the community by giving them the resource. It might help others as well as helping the local paint mixing people who would get requests for it.

We have 2 major automotive paint suppliers in town. We use both of them for supplies at work. However, the ones capable of hand and eye mixing paints tend to be grumpy bastards and you have to catch them on the right day. Catch them on the right day and they'll grab the project and run with it and do a perfect job. Catch them on a bad day and they'll just tell you "We can't do it". So it's a pain in the ass to deal with. But once they mix it, it's in their system and then you can go back at any time and have it reproduced by anyone there. I took my trunk to one place and I know who the good people are, and unfortunately, the worst guy in the place ended up being the one to help me. I left my trunk for a few hours and came back to get a sample and it was a long way off. He didn't seem to know what to do at that point and I wasn't willing to work with him any more on it.

I'm going to take it all to a different place this time and just tell them to call me when it's perfect. I don't care if it takes them a day or a week. Just match the stuff.

There's a local guy who paints bikes for MotoAmerica. His stuff is amazing. I reached out to him for some help but he doesn't seem interested, as he read my message but never replied.

I really would prefer to do this myself. I have all the equipment, I just need that missing link of the paint match.
wheatonFJR loved this

NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Re: RE: Re: Jolene, Jolene, Jolene...

Post by NTXFJR »

Festus wrote:
raYzerman wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 am Why not go to a local body shop and have the color guru painter guy mix you up a batch, even let him paint them. I'd also recommend a good clearcoat.
That's where it's heading Ray. What my hopes were, was to find a company that could match it and save the color, then I could help the community by giving them the resource. It might help others as well as helping the local paint mixing people who would get requests for it.

We have 2 major automotive paint suppliers in town. We use both of them for supplies at work. However, the ones capable of hand and eye mixing paints tend to be grumpy bastards and you have to catch them on the right day. Catch them on the right day and they'll grab the project and run with it and do a perfect job. Catch them on a bad day and they'll just tell you "We can't do it". So it's a pain in the ass to deal with. But once they mix it, it's in their system and then you can go back at any time and have it reproduced by anyone there. I took my trunk to one place and I know who the good people are, and unfortunately, the worst guy in the place ended up being the one to help me. I left my trunk for a few hours and came back to get a sample and it was a long way off. He didn't seem to know what to do at that point and I wasn't willing to work with him any more on it.

I'm going to take it all to a different place this time and just tell them to call me when it's perfect. I don't care if it takes them a day or a week. Just match the stuff.

There's a local guy who paints bikes for MotoAmerica. His stuff is amazing. I reached out to him for some help but he doesn't seem interested, as he read my message but never replied.

I really would prefer to do this myself. I have all the equipment, I just need that missing link of the paint match.
I took my bike to a local Engish paint supply and their color guy matched it really well for my givi trunk lid. PPG paint shop here too its just farther away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Hmmm, solution seems simple. You have the equipment, the knowhow and the resources. Sounds like it's time to find a new color that tickles your fancy and go with that for the whole bike. Then you'd really have something special and unique.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

gixxerjasen wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:10 pm Hmmm, solution seems simple. You have the equipment, the knowhow and the resources. Sounds like it's time to find a new color that tickles your fancy and go with that for the whole bike. Then you'd really have something special and unique.
Yep. I once was going to buy a used '13 and paint it in some flashy burnt orange sienna. Somebody Photoshopped one on "the other forum" and some doofus deleted the thread, it did look pretty kool.... instead I got a '14 root beer already painted from the factory. It's a lot of work removing all the plastic and getting it all prepped and sanded ready for paint.... the root beer was the perfect alternative.
wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

Maybe its just me, but I'd be more inclined to paint it as close to factory as possible. As soon as I see a painted bike, no matter how stellar it looks, I have a mental picture of the bike rashed to shit and back. If you put a huge Wrecked Twice on Sunday sign on it it wouldn't have as much affect on me as a painted bike.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

If I had the money I'd paint mine. I have no intentions of trying to get money from selling it because by the time I do sell it the mileage on it will far exceed anyone's issues with non-factory paint. I freaking hate silver, but it was a good deal so I live with it.
My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

gixxerjasen wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:10 pm Hmmm, solution seems simple. You have the equipment, the knowhow and the resources. Sounds like it's time to find a new color that tickles your fancy and go with that for the whole bike. Then you'd really have something special and unique.
Yebbut, that 13 color is awesome. I really hope you can find someone that knows how to do it and willing. That would be an awesome resource.
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Everyone .... and I mean EVERYONE knows that the red ones are the fastest.

Forget all of those performance mods. Paint it red, man.
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Hppants wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:53 pm Everyone .... and I mean EVERYONE knows that the red ones are the fastest.

Forget all of those performance mods. Paint it red, man.
:bustinlove: :bustinlove: :bustinlove:
:zombwobb: :zombwobb: :zombwobb:
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 pm
Yebbut, that 13 color is awesome. I really hope you can find someone that knows how to do it and willing. That would be an awesome resource.
Yebbut, doesn't he already have one in that color?
My Blog

NTXFJR
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by NTXFJR »

wheatonFJR wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 pm
He has a standing offer for help to transform his silver into something else.
We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

IBA # 65427
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Jolene is already unique in her resurrection. She deserves something special to set her apart as such. I feel it would only be befitting of her to be either tastefully whored out with a Kenny Roberts throwback yellow and black motif or equally slutted up in a color beyond resistance. Something that Yamaha would have customers begging to get in line like the predelivery program of the past.

We all know Jolene is irresistible and she will steal your man! Best to give her an outfit equal to her sex appeal.
CraigRegs, Uncle Hud, and gixxerjasen loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride

Post by gixxerjasen »

Cav47 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:07 pm Jolene is already unique in her resurrection. She deserves something special to set her apart as such. I feel it would only be befitting of her to be either tastefully whored out with a Kenny Roberts throwback yellow and black motif or equally slutted up in a color beyond resistance. Something that Yamaha would have customers begging to get in line like the predelivery program of the past.

We all know Jolene is irresistible and she will steal your man! Best to give her an outfit equal to her sex appeal.
I like your thinking, and I am quite the fan of yellow bikes, however having seen the FJR in yellow, it really doesn't work for it. Don't know why but it doesn't. But you are thinking along the same lines I am of her uniqueness and a new color.
My Blog