CODE 19

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
Tuffy1982
Squid
FJRModel: 05 AT

CODE 19

Post by Tuffy1982 »

I’ve got a 2015 with 21k on it, I got a code 19 yesterday but it still started. Today I got a code 19 but it didn’t start. Other threads have said it’s either the ignition switch or the kickstand switch, but my question is, can those really go out at 21k & which one is more likely to go out? The bike doesn’t have grime built up on the kickstand area but who knows. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: CODE 19

Post by raYzerman »

If you go into DiAG, in the sensor operation table there is d:020 which shows the sidestand switch. While in gear, it will indicate ON when sidestand switch is up, and OFF when down. The blue wire goes direct to the fuel pump relay, the black to ground. Note Gen3's do have ground spiders....
Above the rad, taped to the wire harness, is where the ground spiders reside, I think 3. Probably worth a look to see if not oxidized and clean them anyway....
I am assuming when it won't start, the fuel pump did not cycle. If it did, then it's not the sidestand switch.... have you checked the Fuel Injection fuse is OK/clean?
Side stand switch connector might be hiding under the left end of the throttle bodies? Follow the wire up to find it.... maybe by the air cleaner? I would not expect it to fail that early.
extrememarine and CollingsBob loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Tuffy1982
Squid

Post by Tuffy1982 »

raYzerman wrote:If you go into DiAG, in the sensor operation table there is d:020 which shows the sidestand switch. While in gear, it will indicate ON when sidestand switch is up, and OFF when down. The blue wire goes direct to the fuel pump relay, the black to ground. Note Gen3's do have ground spiders....
Above the rad, taped to the wire harness, is where the ground spiders reside, I think 3. Probably worth a look to see if not oxidized and clean them anyway....
I am assuming when it won't start, the fuel pump did not cycle. If it did, then it's not the sidestand switch.... have you checked the Fuel Injection fuse is OK/clean?
Side stand switch connector might be hiding under the left end of the throttle bodies? Follow the wire up to find it.... maybe by the air cleaner? I would not expect it to fail that early.
Ok thanks RaYzerman. I’ll get into the Diag & check that out. I don’t remember if the fuel pump cycled, but the last 2 times trying to start it it did & no code popped up either. Thanks for the info I’ll check those things out you said, do you think it could be the ignition issue possibly?

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

We haven't heard much if anything on Gen3 ignition switches..... if the fuel pump runs, then the sidestand switch is OK (at that moment), as well as the other conditions that will let fuel pump run/FI system works. Might want to experiment and see if it makes any difference with it in gear, sidestand up and clutch switch engaged, or up while in neutral or down while in neutral. But intermittent is a bear to diagnose sometimes.

BTW, I am assuming you've found the starter will crank over, but no start....??

There are some multi-way connectors up forward of the valve cover, might wanna check those aren't corroded as some aren't waterproof and that's a vulnerable area with open space above the rad. However, side stand switch again is wired direct to the fuel pump relay.

Check the 4-way that's plugged into the starter relay outboard of the battery.... that can get corroded and will cause FI issues, direct connection to the fuel pump relay as well.

For ignition switch, if it were failing, several other things wouldn't light up.... Ignition fuse, Backup fuse, Signals, tail lamp, licence lamp.... if in neutral does the neutral light always light up when out of gear?
Tuffy1982
Squid

Post by Tuffy1982 »

raYzerman wrote:We haven't heard much if anything on Gen3 ignition switches..... if the fuel pump runs, then the sidestand switch is OK (at that moment), as well as the other conditions that will let fuel pump run/FI system works. Might want to experiment and see if it makes any difference with it in gear, sidestand up and clutch switch engaged, or up while in neutral or down while in neutral. But intermittent is a bear to diagnose sometimes.

BTW, I am assuming you've found the starter will crank over, but no start....??

There are some multi-way connectors up forward of the valve cover, might wanna check those aren't corroded as some aren't waterproof and that's a vulnerable area with open space above the rad. However, side stand switch again is wired direct to the fuel pump relay.

Check the 4-way that's plugged into the starter relay outboard of the battery.... that can get corroded and will cause FI issues, direct connection to the fuel pump relay as well.

For ignition switch, if it were failing, several other things wouldn't light up.... Ignition fuse, Backup fuse, Signals, tail lamp, licence lamp.... if in neutral does the neutral light always light up when out of gear?
Thanks Rayzerman, been busy so I will run down all that you’ve said this weekend. Yes it’ll crank over just won’t start. Last 3 days it’s started each time I’ve tried but still hasn’t flashed a code. Thanks for your help.

Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Post by Road Runner »

I had a code 19 on a Gen 2 (don't know if Gen 3 is same) which turned out to be the key switch. It was also intermittent. If I remember correctly, the FP did run when key was cycled and still no run. There's a wire that runs from key switch to ECM . When the ECM see's 12 volts on that wire it completes the ground circuit or positive circuit for the coils and allows the coils to spark, (it basically turns the coils on or off). Everything else worked as designed.
If it has that same wiring, I think it was a blue wire running from ignition switch to ECM. Use a digital multi meter to check it for 12 volts when key is turned on, but make sure this is all correct for Gen 3 before you do it. Always use digital multi meter so you don't back feed anything.
I ended up taking the ignition switch apart and found dirty contacts which I cleaned and greased and never had that issue again.

Like I said I don't know if it is the same but may be worth a looky and wiring diagram if you have one.
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
Road Runner
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR Advanced Edition
1987 KLR 650 Thumper

Post by Road Runner »

On a Gen 2 the wire that runs between the ignition switch harness and the ECM is blue with a green tracer. FYI.
"A biker never knows" - Tim Allen

Art
Tuffy1982
Squid

Post by Tuffy1982 »

Road Runner wrote:I had a code 19 on a Gen 2 (don't know if Gen 3 is same) which turned out to be the key switch. It was also intermittent. If I remember correctly, the FP did run when key was cycled and still no run. There's a wire that runs from key switch to ECM . When the ECM see's 12 volts on that wire it completes the ground circuit or positive circuit for the coils and allows the coils to spark, (it basically turns the coils on or off). Everything else worked as designed.
If it has that same wiring, I think it was a blue wire running from ignition switch to ECM. Use a digital multi meter to check it for 12 volts when key is turned on, but make sure this is all correct for Gen 3 before you do it. Always use digital multi meter so you don't back feed anything.
I ended up taking the ignition switch apart and found dirty contacts which I cleaned and greased and never had that issue again.

Like I said I don't know if it is the same but may be worth a looky and wiring diagram if you have one.
Sounds good I’ll add it to the solutions list.

Tuffy1982
Squid

Post by Tuffy1982 »

Well I tore into it today & have yet to be able to replicate the code(maybe that’s a good thing) I checked all the connections I could find I didn’t find any that looked like they were corroded or anything wrong with them. I’ve tried starting it with it in gear, in neutral, clutch in, clutch out, kickstand up, kickstand down, any combination of all of those & after 30 + starts have yet to have an issue or replicate the code. Unless it’s possibly the ignition switch or I missed something else I’m at a loss. The kickstand worked both ways Rayzerman told me to try it, diagnostic code 20 showed it was correctly working, & every time I turned it on the FI worked. Thanks for the help & ideas I’m still open to any other ideas but my last question is, could it just have been something to cause a one time code error but nothing permanent?
TIA

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

The code 19 is for the sidestand switch, which was intermittent given your start vs. no start..... it's likely the contacts are all cleaned up now that you've excercised it, checked other connections, etc.... I'd think it was a one-time thing being you can't get it to repeat... ride on. It should start in neutral regardless of the sidestand switch. If you have the problem again, activate it a few times and ensure the sidestand is indeed able to be fully up (not held slightly down due to dirt, etc.). If you're worried about it, locate the connector for it, and have something to bridge it in an emergency, then it will think it's retracted, i.e., ON.
wheatonFJR loved this
Tuffy1982
Squid

Post by Tuffy1982 »

raYzerman wrote:The code 19 is for the sidestand switch, which was intermittent given your start vs. no start..... it's likely the contacts are all cleaned up now that you've excercised it, checked other connections, etc.... I'd think it was a one-time thing being you can't get it to repeat... ride on. It should start in neutral regardless of the sidestand switch. If you have the problem again, activate it a few times and ensure the sidestand is indeed able to be fully up (not held slightly down due to dirt, etc.). If you're worried about it, locate the connector for it, and have something to bridge it in an emergency, then it will think it's retracted, i.e., ON.
Thanks Rayzerman I think you’re right to just ride on & that’s my plan until it havens again. ( hopefully not!)
Thanks again.

Hppants loved this