2024 Project - A Honda followed me home

Our rides evolve - keep track of yours here.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Re: 2024 Project - A Honda followed me home

Post by raYzerman »

Today's job involved removing the nose plastic, retrieving the Pilot Box and a little restoration work on the windshield sliders..... since I already had the sides off, removing the nose was a piece of cake. A little dusty behind there and the silicone boots protect the electrical connectors..... EZ now to unplug the Pilot Box. Windshield sliders are on either side.

Windshield sliders are two pieces of diecast and the halves are bolted together with 3 screws. Carefully remove and separate such that you don't lose any of the inner parts....

Inner parts are two ball bearings, two nylon guides, a stainless rail with detent holes, and the windshield bracket with two springs in it that push on the ball bearings. I gave all the parts a cleanup to get rid of old dried grease and all parts were in good shape, no rust, perfectly good.

Grease all the goodies and put it back together. As good or better than brand new......

So as I was cleaning up the innards, I saw some plastic bits in the works.... there are rubber gaskets with slits to allow the windshield up and down, these have age hardened and some bits broke off. The bike is 14 years old after all..... Looked up the two parts on the Netherlands site, 24British Pounds each and not available..... Googled the part numbers, wow, Partzilla has them (listed for an NC700) and $3 each (+ shipping). What? OK call my local Honda guy, ordered them and they'll be here in a week, $6 each. Kool! These two get installed after the nose goes back on.

Meanwhile will clean up the nose piece/headlight assy., remove old rubber pieces and wait for the new ones. Also took the opportunity to change the headlight bulbs (H7) up to some LED bulbs I had in my stash from upgrading trials on the VStrom and Versys. If they aren't good enough, no biggie, I can get at them later easy enough.

Scouted out a location in the rear for an FZ1 Fuseblock I have on hand......... tomorrow, going to visit local electronic supply to see where we're going with this Pilot Box.......
Niehart, El Toro Joe, Bugnatr and 7 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

Update on the Pilot Box display.........

It is amazing how nobody really does these repairs, all they do is replace modules.... Got a tip from Madmudder, his guy won't return phone calls, I guess has more work than he needs..... dug into a couple of other shops, one said he could fix the existing but would have to go shopping for the SMD's. Didn't sound like he had a lot of experience with SMD's. Another shop down the street said no problem, but need to replace the originals with ones with similar voltages and currents... yeah, I knew that already....

And then, after a couple of days, Scott at Bluegauges in Buffalo returns my email..... he's been doing this for years and specializes in brightening up motorcycle displays..... he wanted pictures....... we're making plans for next week, he'll do it same day. Can't beat that. I will be going to Buffalo anyway, so killing two birds with one stone......
Steel_Gin, Bugnatr, Niehart and 4 others loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:44 pm I will be going to Buffalo anyway, so killing two birds with one stone......

Every time I stop in at ray's there seems to be another "project" bike added to the mix... He's going to need a bigger shop if this keeps up :mrgreen:
El Toro Joe, raYzerman, and wheatonFJR loved this
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:44 pm Update on the Pilot Box display.........

It is amazing how nobody really does these repairs, all they do is replace modules.... Got a tip from Madmudder, his guy won't return phone calls, I guess has more work than he needs..... dug into a couple of other shops, one said he could fix the existing but would have to go shopping for the SMD's. Didn't sound like he had a lot of experience with SMD's. Another shop down the street said no problem, but need to replace the originals with ones with similar voltages and currents... yeah, I knew that already....

And then, after a couple of days, Scott at Bluegauges in Buffalo returns my email..... he's been doing this for years and specializes in brightening up motorcycle displays..... he wanted pictures....... we're making plans for next week, he'll do it same day. Can't beat that. I will be going to Buffalo anyway, so killing two birds with one stone......
The wings at the Buffalo House Tavern used to be pretty good…
raYzerman loved this
Steel_Gin
Veteran
FJRModel: 2012 FJR1300A

Post by Steel_Gin »

raYzerman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:44 pm Update on the Pilot Box display.........

Buffalo run............to swing by a package dropoff location. 8-)

That looks like a fun ride!!