RIP - my buddy 1911/Duane Wellington just passed away

This subforum will contain memorial posts and memories of those members who have departed but live on in the stories shared here.
Forum rules
This subforum is listed in the public area - no log in is required to view; please keep that in mind when posting here.
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Re: RIP - my buddy 1911/Duane Wellington just passed away

Post by 0face »

wheatonFJR wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:58 am
D-Eagle wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:35 am Mark, that photo is awesome.
Duane evidently thought so as well. I found that out after Duane died when Maralee told me that he had that as his screensaver for the longest time. So much so that they included that photo in the funeral service program.

The only reason we were at that spot was that Duane wanted to try a new road...as he always did. As nice as that photo turned out, it pales in comparison to how it was in 360 degree real time. I take no credit for that photo at all. The scene was amazing.... Coming out of the mist and fog and rising about it all into a crystal blue sky, clouds below, distant ridges... and that silhouetted tree.
That's a calendar picture buddy.
Bugnatr, El Toro Joe, and wheatonFJR loved this
Geezer
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005

Post by Geezer »

I'm certain that I met Duane a few times, but I don't remember him from that, I remember him more from reading your posts Wheattie. Sorry to lose another FJR rider and especially sorry that you lost a close friend.
wheatonFJR loved this
My wife asked me why I speak so softly around the house. I said that I was worried that someone was listening. She laughed, I laughed, Alexa laughed.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

FYI, these posts are not about me at all, but if I reflect on them it is only to show the pain involved. I think Duane’s passing hit me especially hard because of a couple things
-We rode often together
-Had already made plans for a long trip to Colorado in 2023 and had plans for many more
-I just really liked this guy, and to get a laugh or guffaw out of him was gold
-I think Jason’s passing less than a year before hadn’t had a chance to fully process yet, and this just felt like an extreme case of piling on. I miss them both immensely. Time has not yet healed either wound.

I have to be careful when texting Maralee, because I don’t want my grief to compound hers. A recent review of this thread was a blessing and a curse. Great memories, but extremely sad at times.

Maralee has it real tough compared to how I’m feeling, so continue to remember her.

I try to remember that day in April last year…when y’all showed up from far and wide for her. I lean on that memory.

To my friend Duane, wish you were here.
griff, Tyler, Bugs and 4 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

I have mentioned in another thread that Maralee is at a point where she can part with Duane's bike. Griff is assisting me in getting it up to my place in Travelers Rest. After I clean it up a bit, I will open a for sale thread here at Riders.

Here is the 07 FJR and trailer that will soon be posted for sale:

extrememarine, CollingsBob, 0face and 1 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

Went on a little ride today to honor Jwilly and 1911. It was supposed to be longer. I ended up just going to the Cherohala and assorted twisty roads between there and home, due to big delays from road construction. Maybe I'll try again another time...but the Cherohala was special to both of these fine men, so this may have to do for now.

Heading out in twilight.

BRP Highest Elevation

Turkey Creek Overlook

My riding shirt. Both Jwilly and 1911 were on watch today. I kept them busy.

The miles today were about 390.

Jwilly's LD Delivery Special is making room for 1911's FJR and mcy trailer. Griff and I go get those tomorrow so I can begin the cleanup for selling for Maralee.
PhilJet09, danh600, El Toro Joe and 4 others loved this
boatanchor, 3rd class.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Thank you, Mark for sharing your rememberence with us. I hope Maralee and Duane's family are "getting along", whatever that might mean. Thinking about Duane fondly. He reminds me that you can say a lot by saying a little. That quiet people can also be quite personable. And true to your soul love is all you really need.

But moreover, Pants - we only get one life, and it goes so fast. Don't waste it.
PhilJet09, wheatonFJR, Intech and 2 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption