Accessory lighting?

Making the FJR yours - what have you done, want to do, plan to do, and how?
Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Re: Accessory lighting?

Post by Cav47 »

extrememarine wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:08 am I do not have Clearwater lights, but there are plenty of positive comments about them above.

On my '09, I have a (old) set of LED's from (the now closed) LEDRyder.com site. These were cheap. I've run them on the FJR for many years, and ran one on my DRZ.

For wiring / control, I set up a Skene controller. Lights are connected to a relay that is only energized after start up. With the Skene controller, you can have up to 3 light (power / brightness) settings plus full (100%) power via a signal from the highbeams. You program the percentages, and switch it via a 3 position switch. I have mine set to run at 20%, 40%, 60% and then 100% when highbeams are on. I can run them at 20% all the time without blinding oncoming traffic (no flashed headlights).

I have 2 switches mounted on the left side where the OE factory grip heater knob would go on a Gen 2. One is for power to the relay (so I can turn the lights off completely) and the other is a 3 position (on / off / on) that provides the signal to the skene controller for the programmed power levels.

I used marine grade (boating) switches. No issue with rain causing issues with the sealed switches - and they are biggest enough to operate by feel with gloves on.

Mine are mounted under the mirrors. Their purpose for me was the illuminate the road when tipped into a corner at night. Think roads like the dragon, Skyway, BRP. They throw light in a cone pattern (no DOT cut off), so the light up the road when the bike is tipped over. when I key the highbeams, it is like standing in a football stadium bright...
I have a similar set up but with different percentages. Tim, DesignFlaw set me up and wired them that way. Mine is a 3 position switch.

My percentage is 30/60/90 IIRC. Full power with brights or horn I think.

I know there are better options out there from a Lumen perspective, but the cost of LEDRiders were perfect. I have never ran the Clearwaters, I bet they are great. Best of luck on your search.
CollingsBob loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

One must consider the modern bike with LED lighting, CAN bus, etc., as you won't likely (easily) be able to tie into high beams without some other external module/relay setup. So, to keep it simple, best is hookup with separate switch and device to vary the output for night riding.
LKLD loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

raYzerman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:32 pm One must consider the modern bike with LED lighting, CAN bus, etc., as you won't likely (easily) be able to tie into high beams without some other external module/relay setup. So, to keep it simple, best is hookup with separate switch and device to vary the output for night riding.
If allowed by law. Here, we have State Inspections. It has to be SAE approved and it must cut out when high beams are on. That's the law.

Can't say they enforce it well, but it's certainly something that can get you a ticket.
CollingsBob loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

The Clearwater's will come with a Canopener that will plug into the system and allow plug and play hookup, and setup using the wonder wheel and turn signal button. Pretty slick. That R1300GS will be sweet! So, it was Berlin Koolaid! I have drank a bit myself! Addictive it is!
bigjohnsd, CollingsBob, and 0face loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Toter wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:50 pm The Clearwater's will come with a Canopener that will plug into the system and allow plug and play hookup, and setup using the wonder wheel and turn signal button. Pretty slick. That R1300GS will be sweet! So, it was Berlin Koolaid! I have drank a bit myself! Addictive it is!
That's definitely one of the Clearwater advantages. Access to the system so it's plug-n-play.
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Festus wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:18 pm
raYzerman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:32 pm One must consider the modern bike with LED lighting, CAN bus, etc., as you won't likely (easily) be able to tie into high beams without some other external module/relay setup. So, to keep it simple, best is hookup with separate switch and device to vary the output for night riding.
If allowed by law. Here, we have State Inspections. It has to be SAE approved and it must cut out when high beams are on. That's the law.

Can't say they enforce it well, but it's certainly something that can get you a ticket.
PA has state inspection. My guy just reminds me that all my fun stuff was installed after he inspected it.
CollingsBob loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
natehawk750
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR1300A, 2001 zrx1200r, 2001 XR650R

Post by natehawk750 »

I have clearwater sevinas up top and Darlas on the forks. The Darlas stay on all the time and the sevinas are switched for when needed. My set up puts out an un godly amount of light straight out in front of me to the tune of about 30000 lumens. There's so much light I can safely ride at pretty much any speed I want on the darkest of roads.

That being said it's overkill for most here unless you do alot of Iron Butt type riding competitively.

A set of darlas on the forks probably covers 90% of my day to day riding.

I got a really good deal on my clearwaters though and that's why I have them. It is nice to know that if I have a problem then it's fixed with a phone call or email pretty quickly.

I was considering Denali's before I got the clearwaters. The Denali lights seem to have taken over the LD community lately. Seem like a solid kit. If I was setting up a non rally bike then I'd consider a set of the Denali D3's that recently came out. They come with 3 lens options that you can switch around to your liking and preferred riding. Denali's cam also be set up to work off your high beams and horn the same way clearwaters do.

If you just want something for conspicuousity then a $20 set of Amazon lights on the forks work well for that.
BkerChuck and CollingsBob loved this
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

CollingsBob wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:03 pm Clearwater or Denali for crashbar mounted lights?
Should be dimmable and switch to full power when high beams are on.
Any ideas or experiences?
Do you want to BE SEEN or do you want TO SEE?

Different answers based on the above.

Pretty much anything anywhere adds to BEING SEEN; even low down on forks and crash bars.

If you want to SEE, then something high-and-wide on the bike. Higher gets you farther down the road before nurfing into the pavement. Wider helps the light triangulate debris and junk in the road better for our binocular vision.

Also, avoid those blue tinted bulb pretending to be HID. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tec ... /blue.html
CollingsBob loved this
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

I want primarily to be seen..I rarely ride at night, but regularly at dusk…so maybe a 60/40 requirement…
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

Bob, sidebar, any reason you are looking at the R1300 instead of the S1000XR? I know you mentioned you wanted a lighter bike than the FJR.
wheatonFJR loved this

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Festus wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:20 am Bob, sidebar, any reason you are looking at the R1300 instead of the S1000XR? I know you mentioned you wanted a lighter bike than the FJR.
Isn't that the petey special?
boatanchor, 3rd class.
CollingsBob
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2024 BMW R1300 GS

Post by CollingsBob »

Festus wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:20 am Bob, sidebar, any reason you are looking at the R1300 instead of the S1000XR? I know you mentioned you wanted a lighter bike than the FJR.
The early S1000XR’s vibrated..after the turbine smoothness of the FJR, there was no way I could tolerate that, also the insurance costs for the 1000XR were higher than for the 1300GS. The 1300GS also carries it’s weight - which is 125lbs lighter than the FJR lower down..
Toter and Festus loved this
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

I have the cheapies mounted on the forks. Makes the triangle I'm looking for. The LED headlights on the '21 are terrific for being seen and for seeing.

To be fair, I rarely ride in the dark, and when I do, it's usually just leaving the house an hour before sunrise to beat the traffic in the lighted city leaving. IOW - I don't need anything to see better.
CollingsBob loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Bounce
Veteran

Post by Bounce »

I find the sharp cutoff of the headlight especially disconcerting when heeled over into a long sweeper; as if leaning into the abyss.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Bounce wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:38 am I find the sharp cutoff of the headlight especially disconcerting when heeled over into a long sweeper; as if leaning into the abyss.
I definitely understand this and again, if I rode more at night in "real" darkness, i'd have better accessory lighting.

I was hopeful that the "lean LEDs" would address this on the '21. Nope. AFAICT - those lights are useless.
bill lumberg loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Hppants wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:01 am
Bounce wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:38 am I find the sharp cutoff of the headlight especially disconcerting when heeled over into a long sweeper; as if leaning into the abyss.
I definitely understand this and again, if I rode more at night in "real" darkness, i'd have better accessory lighting.

I was hopeful that the "lean LEDs" would address this on the '21. Nope. AFAICT - those lights are useless.
But the cornering lights look cool...
I'm in your camp with respect to aux lights. What I have on my FJR (Clearwater Ericas and Glendas) is WAY more than I need for my typical riding. I rarely ride after dark and even then it is usually in an urban area where there is decent ambient lighting. I get nervous riding at night due to the presence of animals and while powerful lighting may help, there is no guarantee that Bambi won't choose the moment of your passing to commit suicide by jumping onto the road in front of you. (Not to mention Bullwinkle)
I wouldn't have bothered with the expense of the Clearwaters if they had not come with the bike but a set of modestly bright (but dimmable) fork-mounted lights help you to be seen and will help with a bit more light directly in front of you and down the road.
CollingsBob loved this
Festus
Contributor
Veteran

Post by Festus »

If you are worried about visibility at night.....

Bounce and CollingsBob loved this

Toter
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 FJR 1300 ES "Renee", 2014 BMW R1200 GS "Sascha", 2021 BMW R1250GS Rallye, 2016 DRZ 400S (Bush Piglet)

Post by Toter »

I find the fork mounted Darla's do a pretty job when cornering at night. Much better than with the headlight alone. More light is always better. I love the Krista/Erica set on the 21 GS. When you hit the brights, everything lights up. They are so bright, I leave the yellow slip covers on at night as well.
BkerChuck and CollingsBob loved this
I spent most of my money on guns, motorcycles, women, and whiskey. The rest I just wasted!
Bounce
Veteran

Post by Bounce »

I've burned through some covers on some aux lights by not removing them.
CollingsBob loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Bounce wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:57 am I've burned through some covers on some aux lights by not removing them.
On LEDs? The amber lenses on my Glendas barely get warm...
I can see a tinted lens (or opaque cover) on an incandescent light could get toasty.