My Backpack Booger

Stop in & tell us who you are, where you are from, etc.
StreamRider
I see dead batteries
Squid
FJRModel: 2003 FJR 1300R

Re: My Backpack Booger

Post by StreamRider »

I'll continue this tomorrow evening, I apologize but I am wiped. Picked the kiddo up from school on the bike and did a loop around Great Sacandaga Lake, got food. Fading hard but I'll make it a good one.
El Toro Joe and BkerChuck loved this
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

I seem to like the concept of the handle-belt over those of papoose-like harness that attach the kid to the adult rider. I think of the latter as meat-sack impact bags for the adult.
StreamRider loved this
StreamRider
I see dead batteries
Squid

Post by StreamRider »

Bounce wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:52 am I seem to like the concept of the handle-belt over those of papoose-like harness that attach the kid to the adult rider. I think of the latter as meat-sack impact bags for the adult.
My thoughts exactly. In the (God forbid) case of an ejection the last place I would want my 65lb pride-and-joy to be is tethered to my fat 200lb ass getting swung around like Sauron's mace and being forced to share my inertia when we do finally find another object that is not in motion. I've seen kids, including my own, take some gnarly spills and just plain bounce and be fine from what I assume is their lack of weight. If I trip and fall over it's like a pillowcase full of bricks, not graceful and is not going to feel good, would hate to "share" that extra mass in any situation other then me being her airbag.
Bounce, bigjohnsd, and BkerChuck loved this
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

N4HHE wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:55 pm Almost no Goldwing ever has been ridden on a route which didn't involve a food stop in the middle.
Sounds like they are doing it right......
wheatonFJR loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
CraigRegs
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 15ES

Post by CraigRegs »

This has been one of the most uplifting things I've read here! I think I love little Booger like she was my own! What incredible memories you two are forging. Can't wait to read more about your adventures.
Bounce, N4HHE, bigjohnsd and 3 others loved this
Craig
----------------
...the Pursuit of Happiness
StreamRider
I see dead batteries
Squid

Post by StreamRider »

CraigRegs wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:36 am This has been one of the most uplifting things I've read here! I think I love little Booger like she was my own! What incredible memories you two are forging. Can't wait to read more about your adventures.
Good! Next EOM you can watch her while I get neck deep in some bourbon. How good are you with a lasso?
CraigRegs and BkerChuck loved this
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

StreamRider wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:50 pm
CraigRegs wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:36 am This has been one of the most uplifting things I've read here! I think I love little Booger like she was my own! What incredible memories you two are forging. Can't wait to read more about your adventures.
Good! Next EOM you can watch her while I get neck deep in some bourbon. How good are you with a lasso?
I've always felt that duct tape, zip ties, and shock collars are appropriate parenting tools.
Bounce, bigjohnsd, and StreamRider loved this
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
StreamRider
I see dead batteries
Squid

Post by StreamRider »

BkerChuck wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:06 pm
StreamRider wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:50 pm
I've always felt that duct tape, zip ties, and shock collars are appropriate parenting tools.
You know how there’s like that one person out of a thousand that the taser just doesn’t work on them? The cops are in disbelief and the perp just kinda keeps acting crazy as if he/she isn’t getting tazed? She’s never been in that situation but I just have a feeling like she might be that one in 1000 that can hold onto a cattle fence and act like nothing is happening.
BkerChuck and bigjohnsd loved this
StreamRider
I see dead batteries
Squid

Post by StreamRider »

The Trials and Tribulations of The Booger : Vol 4 "The Wild Booger Rises"

Cards on the table...I had already brought Azæzelle (real name, I named her, Hebrew "During the late Second Temple period, Azazel came to be viewed as a fallen angel responsible for introducing humans to forbidden knowledge, as described in the Book of Enoch." ~Wiki) on the highway and by mistake none the less. As I had spoke about earlier on the state office complex and how neat a place it is to be able to teach both riders and drivers it can also be somewhat of a confusing place if you are paying more attention to the person you are teaching and less on where you are going. The place has like 4 different ease of access ramps to get directly on 3 interstates and 1 highway. While there are signs and marking often you can find yourself headed down a ramp and the only way to go is forward. I was obviously in that state we have all been in at one time or another where you are in the cold lull of engine braking and calculating what you exactly plan to do, the engine winding down like a timer in Jeopardy awaiting your response. I did what I do in almost all of those situations and grabbed a handfull of throttle and said to myself "F-it, this is happening whether you want it to or not. Do what you always do but do it better." Went a little something like this while rolling down the vacant but guardrail imprisoned stretch of pavement leading up to the big 270 degree ramp of I90 North...

"HEY!! YOU HEAR ME?!?!?"
~"Yeah Dada"
"Hold on tight and don't do any wiggles. OKAY???"
~"Why?" ::This little chick always need a f@$king reason as if me saying it isn't enough::
"Because we are about to go really fast and get on the highway. It's going to be really loud and we might not be able to talk."
~"Oooh the highway? I like the highway. CAN WE GO TO MAYMAY AND RAYRAY's?!?!?!" (my mother and sisters that live in Plattsburgh on Lake Champlain)
"No honey, I NEED YOU TO HANG ON TIGHT. Hug me."
~"No, I have my handles. I like those better they don't hurt my hands."

At this point I am pulling down the big ramp turn and not about to argue as I'd rather focus so I relent. Most likely murmuring something along the lines of "Hang on, just hang on tight." I had found myself on a ramp heading North where-as we live south and the biggest and "most dangerous" interchange in NY is located, I87xI90 so I pretty much just pulled the boots up and figured out a way to get the heck out of there. I90 to Crossgates Mall road was a sure bet while if I exited into I87 North it would be quicker and lead us in a better direction. This time I decided to take the safer bet and just get the hell out of there. We survived, nothing major, nothing minor, nothing really just me being not mentally ready for the undertaking and getting all worked up for nothing.

We got back home and were digesting that ride as it was very early on in her "career" and what I got from her was that she though it "looked cool" and that "cars were really close to us, I liked that". I brushed all that aside and did not really think about it much after that, she's new and she's taking everything in for the first time. I bring girls out a lot that have never been on a bike before and they always say the same thing about how everything looks different in a car and when you are on a bike you get a better sense of the speed and what is all around you. I call it the "fishbowl effect" like a car is a "room" and you are just looking out the windows but on a bike you are really there to look at it with your eyes. I took it for that experience and thought nothing more about it.

Fast forward a month or so...

It is still summer vacation for her and the weather is still quite hot. At this point we are pretty much leaving before rush hour in the city, getting out and then "accomplishing" a nice country ride to see some nature as I wanted to focus on the aspects she is engaged most with. I had set plans to get her from school on the 4th of July and head north to see my mother and sister as Plattsburgh is a lot of fun on Independence Day and our balcony porch overlooks the bay where all of the hub-bub and fireworks are set off. We lord-the-masses-from-up-high people watching everything unfold on the streets and sidewalk below like the Emperor does a gladiator fight. It's a really neat place to be in a few instances in that town and my kid has been 110% about it every year. The only holiday she likes more is Christmas for the presents but she has made comments suggesting that we change Christmas over to the 4th of July so there can be parades and fireworks AND presents. I love her sense of efficiency but I explained to her that ice cream and tacos are both good. When you put ice cream on a taco it makes both bad. Separation of personal property and state is necessary for a government and its people to coexist successful...oops wrong forum.

Anyway, she has been all about the 4th of July since day 1. She was at the fireworks in the Capitol (with ear-pro) when she was a 1 year old and it's a big time of year for her.
This time I planned out a route to head north and get away from all of the ruckus of the city and ease our way onto the highway after all the traffic died down far north. She had already been on the bike for hours at a time and I was fully confident that even if it took us two hours to head the back way up the Mohawk and Hudson rivers, well past Saratoga and into Warrensburg so that we could get on I87 where it is calm and I would have a good chance to explain to her what it was going to be like and to prepare myself for a good hour+ of our "Trial By Fire". A chance to put on warmer clothes for the wind and just have a little pow-wow before the slab run. We could make a stop for ice cream at Stewarts and get her nice and awake for her leveling up quest and venture into the realm of taking a trip, albeit small like her, on a motorcycle. We had ample time leaving at 5pm as the fireworks didn't ever start till at least 9:30 and it's only 160 miles. I packed EVERYTHING we could possibly need on the bike during the day while she was at school and had done all of my due diligence, now we just had to hope the weather was going to cooperate. Hope.
Bounce
Veteran
FJRModel: 2003

Post by Bounce »

StreamRider wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:52 pm You know how there’s like that one person out of a thousand that the taser just doesn’t work on them? The cops are in disbelief and the perp just kinda keeps acting crazy as if he/she isn’t getting tazed? She’s never been in that situation but I just have a feeling like she might be that one in 1000 that can hold onto a cattle fence and act like nothing is happening.
LOL

Real story.

Brother and another sailor were on report and given the 3rd degree (about supposed actions). Captain's Mast and everything. Crap duties for months until the other guy came and asked if it was okay if he talked. My brother gave in and told him it was okay. My brother? Nadda (deny deny deny). When asked at the end, he explained that he survived our Mom so they had nothing they could do to him.

That was the psychological. Move to the physical and I got 5 years of focused attention from my Dad before my brother came along. Let's just say first memories of awaking in the dark to sobs from your Mom in the other room; begging for him to start beating her... My time was coming.

f@$k them and their adherence to military constraints. :lol: We both laugh about those military "challenges" when telling old stories.

I still expect that neither of us would choose to be tased.
StreamRider
I see dead batteries
Squid

Post by StreamRider »

I'm one of those people that electricity really has a profound effect on. I have been tazed (by choice, for training) and shocked myself while doing contracting work. It literally takes the energy right out of me. My day is done, I can sleep for 14 hours after making a mistake dealing with 120v.