What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by fontanaman »

escapefjrtist wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:19 pm
N4HHE wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:08 am
escapefjrtist wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:43 pm
Take-offs were "GT" version and I didn't have special tool (Panman) around for this tire change. Had to use the Mojo lever on rear! :lol:
PR4GT is still a very easy tire to mount/unmount. Possibly easier than a PR4 which has very flimsy sidewalls which can make it hard for the bead breaker to get a bite to push the tire off the rim's ledge.
Yeah, the PR4s can almost be pushed on by hand. I haven't noticed much if any difference in the standard and GT versions. Sometimes I think it may be worth the extra $$$ to buy Michelin's just for ease of mounting!

~G
Yeah ease of mounting is one reason the PR4 GT is my choice. The other is they are more supple and my ES needs all the help it can get. 😁
wheatonFJR loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

Mounted a set of brand spanking new PR4 GTs today. I got 7k miles on the PR4 GTs and I am pleased with that. There was another 1k miles left on the tires but it is time to ride Route 16.

It has been hot in Spokane Washington for three weeks with temps 90-100 with low humidity which seems to suck the moisture from your body. With the forecast for continued heat I am heading to Canada for a bit of fun. In my opinion low and high humidity both suck. And vented gear at 95° is ok but is it still hot.

During today's tire change I had some trouble with the 90° aluminum valve stem. The valve would not come out so I went to Cycle Gear and got a rubber stem. Got home and could not install the rubber stem. Seems a special tool in needed to install the rubber stem. There was no way the stem was going in with tools I had on hand. Anybody got ideas on installing a rubber valve stem?

I managed to remove the valve from the aluminum stem and install a new valve. If it holds air I am On the Road Again. If it fails to hold air I will have to delay this trip by one day.

On this trip I hope to see bear and salmon and whatever comes my way. I may go to Hyder Alaska. One day at a time.
Hppants, bungie4, Niehart and 1 others loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Wow Jim...have a great trip!

(bring extra valve stems)
There's no better therapy than a ride - petey
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

fontanaman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 pm During today's tire change I had some trouble with the 90° aluminum valve stem. The valve would not come out so I went to Cycle Gear and got a rubber stem. Got home and could not install the rubber stem. Seems a special tool in needed to install the rubber stem. There was no way the stem was going in with tools I had on hand. Anybody got ideas on installing a rubber valve stem?

I managed to remove the valve from the aluminum stem and install a new valve. If it holds air I am On the Road Again. If it fails to hold air I will have to delay this trip by one day.
I am confused. What is this "valve" you are referring to? The core of the valve, or the valve (which includes core and stem, as in "I bought a new rubber valve")?

You mounted the tire without the valve at all so now you need to install a new rubber valve from the outside? Not impossible but it is quite a trick.

Valve cores require a special tool to unscrew. If the valve core is installed too tight then you might not ever get it out. Am confused about what you removed from an aluminum stem (sounds as if it is a valve core) and then what you put that core into when you seem to be having trouble removing the core from the 90°?

Rubber valves are installed through the hole in the rim from the inside of the tire. A tool screws on the outer threads. Then one kind of tool has a solid handle to use as a lever and pivots near the valve threads. An FJR rim needs a block of wood to use as a fulcrum to lever-pull the rubber core through. Another common tool threads a cap on to the valve's outer threads, this cap is attached via cable. One pulls on the cable to install the rubber valve.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2016 Versys 1000 Titanium Devil, 2014 DL1000, 1999 VFR 800 Bumble Bee

Post by raYzerman »

If I might suggest heading up 95 to Radium Hot Springs and make a right, then a left onto Hwy 1 into Lake Louise and Morraine Lake... then carry on up 93 to the Icefields Parkway and on to Jasper to catch 16.

PS - Aluminum valve stem and brass or stainless valve core are a bad combination for bimetal corrosion... drop of silicone grease?
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
extrememarine
HMFIC
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2009 FJR

Post by extrememarine »

Ordered new sneakers for it today.

Because spending a morning limping to Iron Pony for a tire is not a good plan...
Ride There!
-Wayne aka asphalt surfer...

IBA#60836

#Peteyismyhero & #JWillywashere
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

fontanaman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 pm
During today's tire change I had some trouble with the 90° aluminum valve stem. The valve would not come out so I went to Cycle Gear and got a rubber stem. Got home and could not install the rubber stem. Seems a special tool in needed to install the rubber stem. There was no way the stem was going in with tools I had on hand. Anybody got ideas on installing a rubber valve stem?

On this trip I hope to see bear and salmon and whatever comes my way. I may go to Hyder Alaska. One day at a time.

To install a rubber valve stem in the wheel, you’ll need something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-00040N- ... 2XGOBI4WSK

You poke the stem through the hole from the inside of the wheel, thread the tool onto the outside treads of the stem and use the tool to pull it into the hole. This stretches/elongates the rubber stem, narrowing it’s body allowing it to be pulled through the hole. If you had a nut with the same threads as the outside of the valve stem, you could thread that on to protect the stem and try using pliers to pull on the nut and stem. A little soapy water would ease the task.

Unless I misunderstand your predicament, in which case you should ignore what I said. :D
HotRodZilla and fontanaman loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

raYzerman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:46 pm If I might suggest heading up 95 to Radium Hot Springs and make a right, then a left onto Hwy 1 into Lake Louise and Morraine Lake... then carry on up 93 to the Icefields Parkway and on to Jasper to catch 16.

PS - Aluminum valve stem and brass or stainless valve core are a bad combination for bimetal corrosion... drop of silicone grease?
Ray this way my initial plan but wildfires spoiled those plans. There is a fire along Hwy 1 between Golden BC and Lac Louise in Alberta. 1 is open but the purpose of this trip is to ride to places I have not been before and avoid smoke so I am heading to Dream Cycle museum then north to Valemount where I will connect with Route 16.

Cheers!
wheatonFJR loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran

Post by fontanaman »

PhilJet09 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:35 pm
fontanaman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:20 pm

To install a rubber valve stem in the wheel, you’ll need something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-00040N- ... 2XGOBI4WSK

You poke the stem through the hole from the inside of the wheel, thread the tool onto the outside treads of the stem and use the tool to pull it into the hole. This stretches/elongates the rubber stem, narrowing it’s body allowing it to be pulled through the hole. If you had a nut with the same threads as the outside of the valve stem, you could thread that on to protect the stem and try using pliers to pull on the nut and stem. A little soapy water would ease the task.

Unless I misunderstand your predicament, in which case you should ignore what I said. :D
I will be getting one of these tools. I have had some problems with the aluminum valve stems. The valve stem tends to leak unless tightened to the point where the valve stem seal sticks or is deformed at the next tire change. I don't trust the aluminum stems anymore.
PhilJet09 loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013 FJR 1300

Post by bungie4 »

moraine lake road was closed a few weeks back. We couldn't even get close lake Louise at noon on a weekday. The shuttles were sold out for the entire day at that time as well.

Same thing for emerald lake. We would've been parking a couple of kilometers down the road.

The one attraction i can't recommend, especially for the $42 for two ppl was the Meadows in the sky parkway (Revelstoke ntl park). Except for one lookout, you can't see anything because of the trees, and, all the trails up top were closed.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
That's weird, I don't remember eating asparagus.
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

fontanaman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:00 pm I will be getting one of these tools. I have had some problems with the aluminum valve stems. The valve stem tends to leak unless tightened to the point where the valve stem seal sticks or is deformed at the next tire change. I don't trust the aluminum stems anymore.
Uh, you know too tight crushes the vinyl gasket and causes it to split and leak?

Metal stem TPMS typically spec 4.5 in-lbs. That is approximately “screwdriver tight”.
wheatonFJR loved this
Hack
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016 ES

Post by Hack »

'Probably take a little ride up to the gun club to take care of some treasurer admin.
'Maybe blast by raYzerman's and throw a rotten tomato at his barn door :mrgreen:
PhilJet09, BikerGeek, and El Toro Joe loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

I cracked my shin off the foot peg trying to squeeze by it in the shed.

Would somebody please buy this thing!
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
El Toro Joe
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016ES

Post by El Toro Joe »

bungie4 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:01 pm I cracked my shin off the foot peg trying to squeeze by it in the shed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...are you riding it to EOM
wheatonFJR loved this
"RIP Beemerdons", "RIP Petey", "RIP JWilly", "RIP 1911"
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

bungie4 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:01 pm I cracked my shin off the foot peg trying to squeeze by it in the shed.

It is obviously getting irritable at your neglectful behaviour! :stickpoke:
El Toro Joe loved this
bungie4
I post more than I ride

Post by bungie4 »

El Toro Joe wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...are you riding it to EOM
No insurance. I've ridden zero miles this year.
WWPD.
#SnowMexican
Choo choo mf'r.
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

N4HHE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:16 pm Uh, you know too tight crushes the vinyl gasket and causes it to split and leak?

Metal stem TPMS typically spec 4.5 in-lbs. That is approximately “screwdriver tight”.
Back at the computer where I have the .pdfs. Double checked the spec and it was 2.9 lbf-ft which is 35 lbf-in.

Pound-force * foot is two equal but opposite forces a distance apart (also known as a "couple").
Foot * pound-force is a unit of work.

Pound-force isn't always the same thing as a pound-mass.

A common #6-32 should not be tighter than 10 lbf-in.
PhilJet09 loved this
N4HHE
Veteran

Post by N4HHE »

Headed out to a favorite spot 55 miles away for late lunch early supper. Got distracted by a Tuesday afternoon farmer's market. Big bag of tomatoes, big big of peaches, $5 each, then on my way.
HotRodZilla, BikerGeek, and PhilJet09 loved this
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Post by danh600 »

N4HHE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:51 pm Headed out to a favorite spot 55 miles away for late lunch early supper. Got distracted by a Tuesday afternoon farmer's market. Big bag of tomatoes, big big of peaches, $5 each, then on my way.
I have learned the hard way peaches and tomatoes don't do well in saddle bags if not properly packed.
HotRodZilla, D-Eagle, and N4HHE loved this
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by wheatonFJR »

danh600 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:03 pm
N4HHE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:51 pm Headed out to a favorite spot 55 miles away for late lunch early supper. Got distracted by a Tuesday afternoon farmer's market. Big bag of tomatoes, big big of peaches, $5 each, then on my way.
I have learned the hard way peaches and tomatoes don't do well in saddle bags if not properly packed.
Tomato Pie!

Peach Pie!

Think positively man! :D
danh600 and PhilJet09 loved this