Exhaust Gasket Install

Tech section strictly for the FJR. Everything from oil changes & suspension setup's to removing sheep hair from hard to reach places on the bike so that your wife never finds out.
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Re: Exhaust Gasket Install

Post by PhilJet09 »

Yep, there’s definitely an issue with the dimension on that aftermarket muffler flange. I’ve had my OEM pipes off a half dozen times without a problem. Sometimes I can re-use the gaskets, sometimes not, but I’ve never had the problems you’re describing. I say if your home-brew gasket works, go with it.
HotRodZilla loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

PhilJet09 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:12 pm Yep, there’s definitely an issue with the dimension on that aftermarket muffler flange. I’ve had my OEM pipes off a half dozen times without a problem. Sometimes I can re-use the gaskets, sometimes not, but I’ve never had the problems you’re describing. I say if your home-brew gasket works, go with it.
Yeah. NOW you guys are helpful. Lol. I probably should have posted pictures initially. The only reason I didn't is because my safety helmet and drool cup kept getting in the way. Pictures may have saved me a lot of cussing. At least now I know. Haha!
FJRPittsburgh, Bust, El Toro Joe and 2 others loved this
PhilJet09
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2009 FJR1300A

Post by PhilJet09 »

HotRodZilla wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:24 pm
PhilJet09 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:12 pm Yep, there’s definitely an issue with the dimension on that aftermarket muffler flange. I’ve had my OEM pipes off a half dozen times without a problem. Sometimes I can re-use the gaskets, sometimes not, but I’ve never had the problems you’re describing. I say if your home-brew gasket works, go with it.
Yeah. NOW you guys are helpful. Lol. I probably should have posted pictures initially. The only reason I didn't is because my safety helmet and drool cup kept getting in the way. Pictures may have saved me a lot of cussing. At least now I know. Haha!

Lol, sorry buddy.
HotRodZilla and wheatonFJR loved this
RIP Beemerdons, Petey, JWilly, 1911

Calm is a skill.
“Courage is the first virtue.” Andrew Klavan
“Because “someday” is not a day of the week…” Wayne
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

The Leo Vince cans that were on my 2007 when I got it didn't use a gasket at all and there wouldn't have been any room for one. My limited gasket experience came when I reinstalled the OEM mufflers.
HotRodZilla loved this
0face
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008

Post by 0face »

Please let me know when you try again. I want to come over and watch. We might be able to sell tickets.
FJRPittsburgh, HotRodZilla, Bust and 3 others loved this
Powerman
Veteran
FJRModel: 06fjr

Post by Powerman »

I have Leo Vince cans also. I keep saying, WTF are they talking about?
Been a long time.
HotRodZilla loved this